Gearing up for the Klipschorns

BigBusa

----------------

On 10/11/2003 4:06:46 PM BigBusa wrote:

damn PR you're good. You were right the first time with the "C"!
9.gif

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/PA110007.JPG" border="0">

----------------

Wasn't too sure. The two have exactly the same top layout.

This is a really nice acquisition.

I had a Fisher X-101 hooked on my horns two weeks ago and was pretty impressed by the beast. The Fisher might be more your cup of tea than say a Eico HF-81 if you are craving for some bass.

You can't tell by looking at the tubes if they have been used or not. The only thing you can say from the visual aspect is the condition of the vacuum. If the getter (the shiny metaalic coating inside the tube) is still looking shiny, the vaccum should be good. If it is gone, the vacuum may not be as good as it was. Doesn't mean it's not good anymore. My favorite RCA 2A3 tubes have lost their getter 3 years ago. They are still working good.

Only way to have some kind of an idea of the actual state of the tube is to have them tested.

If they are dead or weak, you can still find 7591. So availability ain't not really a problem.

For sure, with the Fisher brand on the base, these must be original!

You have a 41 year old piece of gear that operates, that does not mean it operates up to spec!

Get it tested and make sure it is up to snuff so you can make an accurate appraisal as to how it sounds and how your new speakers sound!

Test them the way I do -- just put your tongue across the bottom of them. :)

You might want to give Craig a call and let him talk to you about things like dried up electrolytics, variacs, drifting resistors, potential damage to transformers from improper biasing, etc.

Did you get a manual with that thing?

That's a very clean, sweet looking unit -- and I'm sure you are going to want to get the best you can out of it. A general "health check", and the replacement of a few suspect parts isn't going to cost much. It's certainly cheaper than having your house burn down.

----------------

On 10/12/2003 8:42:15 AM BigBusa wrote:

I did get the manual. Thanks for the advice guys. I have a scott 340b I need to send to craig. Maybe I should send him this one too?

----------------

I think it would be a good idea to send it. AC balance might be off a bit (or a lot) so Craig could adjust it.

It's really worthed to make sure those old beast are working optimally.

You can get 4 brand new EH 7591's for less than $75. You amp is VERY similar to my KX-200. I had two original tubes in it. I tested them with my tube tester and posted the results in an E-Pay auction (they tested very high) and got 50 bucks for the two. Dang near paid for my 4 new tubes. SUPER amp.

Of course don't power it on w/o a variac and an AC amp meter (analog). I recapped mine with Fisher Doc's kit. Very simple. This is a DIY job if you're half way handy. If you were near me, I'd consider doing it for you. You also want to replace the rectifier diodes. Fisher Doc sells thosein the kit. You also get a reprint of theservice manual. I LOVE mine. Good luck with yours.

-Mark