Denon Receivers - what's the diff?

t-man

Greetings all (I hope Dougdrake is reading this),

I guess with all you Klipsch users out there, I was hopeing for some enlightenment on the following issue:

All else being equal, would one really notice an obvious difference between and high powered receiver and a lower powered one when using ultra-efficient Klipsch speakers (ie. 98-105 db/meter)?

Case in point, I noticed Dougdrake has both a Denon AVR1601 and a 3300 at his disposal. Big price differences, big power differences, and a few other differences (like rear centers and pre-outs and such). For basic 5.1 HT and CD listening, would somebody really notice a difference between the sounds put out by these two receivers in the same room, with the same speakers? It seems like overkill to have more than 60 watt/chan with my KG 5.5s, but I may be missing something I'm not aware of.

My old Sony STRD1011s had 125 watt/channel, and the bass output seemed much better. Something tells me that power rating isn't the issue here, though.

I love the features and the PRICE (YES!) of my 1601/681 (Denon), and I don't need any more features for now (unless they made with adjust sub out frequencies), so am I still missing something by only having 60 w/c? I only get it to -15 to -10 MAX on movies and music anyway, and then it's too loud.

Thanks,

T-man

t-man - I'm flattered you mentioned me (blushing, kicking the ground). The 1601 in question is a birthday gift for my Dad, which he won't be opening until 6/14 (feel free to call him to wish him happy 77th). Anyway, after he opens it up, I might talk him into letting me play with it in my setup to compare with the 3300.

My gut reaction is that you probably will not hear a HUGE difference (if, indeed, any difference) between the 1601 and a 3300 in your listening environment. I got the 3300 for some of the features (multi-zone, on-screen display, component video switching, alternate rear speakers) and yeah, the power is nice to have around. As we've read here before, the power comes into play to help prevent clipping and to cleanly reach the higher frequencies at high volume.

I also have a NAD receiver, with 55 WPC, and it will make your ears bleed just as easily as the 3300.

My .02 (which, with another .98, will get you a cup of java).

Doug

quote:

Originally posted by RossVTaylor:

Yeah, but it'll take you another 3 bucks for a Venti Latte.

I know I'm in trouble when a coffee drink sounds like an Italian race car cwm2.gif . I always like to annoy the Baristas (counter help) at Star***** by asking for a "medium decaf" - I'm sure to be corrected. And since when would Grande translate to the smallest cup size they have? Can you tell this is a peeve of mine? Is this what's known in math circles as a tangent?

Doug

t-man,I have the 2800 and 3801.The 2800 is now in the bedroom.105 compared to 85.Made no difference to me.Even the newer DAC's didn't really make that much dif.When I added the 2 amps and used the 3801 as a pre-amp,now that made a difference.More detail cwm35.gif,bass had more impact.Not that I needed more power,but seperates do make a difference.That's a different story. cwm20.gif

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.Dish Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Bed room HT:KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

2 Heresy's for music.

Denon AVR-2800,Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve P:

Doug,I see you are headed for"no life"and lots of stars!

I think the label is a little late. Although my wife is incredibly supportive of this little habit (she bought me my Forte's and went as far as Dallas on the trip to Hope in February), I think she would say I entered "no life" status as soon as I got my DD receiver (which started this whole crazy process...).

Well...I guess this is the response I was anticipating, and am glad to hear it. It's nice to know you can still get great results from an "a-la-carte" receiver. No beans and rice for me please, just give me the burrito.

My dad (who lives in ND, 900 miles away) had his first Klipsch experience last night, and was totally blown away. He wants what I got, and now! My mom thought it was really cool, too. He just bought 2 WEGA XBR 36 inchers, and is ready to maximize the experience. Problem is that he lives so far away, and it would be hard to help him find and set-up a system - especially sub set up. One room is like a shoebox, and the other is a massive and open square. Unfotunately he really HATES the audio store in the area which just happens to be a Klipsch dealer. The competitors don't sell Klipsch.

hi there... just to add some more to the pot. i am an owner of a 2500 (older denon pro-logic) and a 5800. i have used both in in my current setup (a nice smattering of klipsch) besides the obvious step up in features etc. the sound from my 5800 makes my klipsch sing. but in all fairness it was my 2500 and my CF's that made me fall in love witht he combo. now that i bit it and layed down the larger cash for the 5800 i just understand that i made the right choice. to sum up, i trust denon and klipsch to give me the warm fuzzys be it the old 2500 to the new 5800. i have heard (and recommended) the mid denon amps (of course i also recommend they attach some klipsch to the other ends of it as well Smile.gif) and i have yet to hear anyone tell my i recommended wrong.

Just in case someone thinks you can get just as high a quality of sound from a 60 watt receiver as you will from a 170 watt receiver simlpy because you are using efficient speakers,well, wrong!If that theory were true then I should be able to get great sound from a KHorn being driven by a transistor radio.I'm not even sure the words receiver and high quality sound should even be used in the same sentence.Just my opinion,of course. cwm28.gif

Keith