Problems with HK AVR525 - can you help?

lancestorm

Hi guys -

Before you say it, yes I think I will end out calling tech support, but I wanted your opinions first.

It started Saturday. I was listening to the radio via the receiver and just playing it in 2 channel, not turned up. After about 20 minutes, the receiver shut off (not powered off, but no longer playing music). I thought that maybe the sleeper timer was accidentally pressed by me. I pressed "On" on the remote, it woke up, then proceeded to shut off again. I press again, it wakes up, shuts off again. It then wakes itself up, off, on, off...pause....on, off...by this time I went to the wall switch and flipped it cutting all power and powering it off.

I waited a few minutes then turned it back on. I went to adjust the source by pressing the button directly on the receiver. As soon as I clicked it, it shuts off. On. Off. On. Off. When it was doing this on off business it was never on enough to hear any sound from the FM. It was very quick.

I'm believing it is a case of bad circuitry but I am unsure. This was bought, oh, 3 months ago thru onecall and is a refurbished unit. I will still have full warranty on it.

Just wondering if you guys have ever had similar problems before with any of your receivers? Have not powered it up since Saturday because this has really scared me! I don't want to ruin the speaks!! In the 3 months I have owned it nothing else has happened to it and it seemed to be going very well.

Ok, I will check the back of the receiver when I get home. I do have the wires connected via Rat Shack banana plugs, so I know the speak wires were very close to one another because of small seperation in the back of receiver. Have I potentially caused damage to anything (receiver/speaks) with this? I really hope this is the only problem too...thanks for the quick responses! 4.gif

The speaker wires were not touching each other.

This weekend a group of friends came over to watch Italian Job (I like the audio on this movie...plenty of music and the roar, just a hint of sarcasm here, of the Mini's.

Ok, so how did it perform? Terribly. Shut off on me FOUR TIMES during the movie. We then preceeded to watch the last 30 mins of the movie from the tv speakers :(. It is just clicking on, then clicking off by itself. In fact, about 30 minutes into the movie it was changing the volume all by itself! Going from -10 to +16 back and forth!!! I quickly ran and shut it off. I also was finding later in the night none of the front buttons were working properly. For example, the on/off button (green/amber switch, not power on/off) did not turn the unit off and on but instead was changing the settings to different surround types. WTF! Anyways, I'm taking this one in...it needs some major work! 7.gif

Is there a re-initialization sequence that you can try prior to taking it to a shop. Check the user manual, there should be a way to reset the internal processor in that unit and restore all the defaults. Try it first before taking it in. It sounds like a processor logic problem and the re-initialization of the unit might possibly correct it.

----------------

On 10/29/2003 8:57:04 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Is there a re-initialization sequence that you can try prior to taking it to a shop. Check the user manual, there should be a way to reset the internal processor in that unit and restore all the defaults. Try it first before taking it in. It sounds like a processor logic problem and the re-initialization of the unit might possibly correct it.

----------------

Also to add, check the remote control to make sure it is not acting up, i.e. take out the batteries and put a fresh set in. As dumb as this may sound, it is possible the remote could be sending a bogus signal to the unit.

Anyway, it sounds more like the processor somehow got all confused and a "factory reset" may be in order here.

I had some problems with my first unit:

The volume control would act all stupid, like going all the way up or down when I just pushed the remote volume once. Also, it quit responding to my remote completely.

My second unit did that for a day...it seemed it was overheating. I took the glass door off the front of my Entertainment center, no more problems....The first one was definitely fried though, probably from heat. Just some ideas.

Prior to the start of the movie I removed batteries from the remote because I, too, thought that might be the source of my earlier problems. Nope.

As far as overheating, that is definitely not an issue. I have it on top of my entertainment center, about a foot from the wall. Nothing on top of it or touching it. I put a board on top of it after it is done cooling down after using it to avoid a build up of dust into the unit.

I do know that there is a way to 'reboot' it of sorts as was suggested, but what's to say this doesn't act up again? Plus, I've never seen the fan to the unit ever go on. I wonder if it's because of this and it's getting heated so it shuts itself off. As for the other stuff, I have no clue.

Thank you for the suggestions!

First thing you need to do is email HK's customer support to start a paper trail. I've owned at least three different models of their "refurbished" A/V receivers and have yet to find one that didn't have problems.(probably the original) The first unit was only a bad solder joint and was easily repaired. The others I ended up returning, and having HK replace them. (once with a NEW unit, once a model upgrade). You need to track the time the units in the shop and how many times you had to take it in for the same problem. I emailed customer support each time, and after the third trip I insisted upon a replacement. You just have to be 'nice', but firm.

If it weren't for the fact I love the sound of the HK, I'd probably never buy another...however the fact I'm CHEAP and the price of the "refurbs" are often 1/3 the cost of new, brings me back for more punishment.

Good luck! Hopefully they'll make it right on the first trip!

Called today to see how the receiver was doing and to get an update. Well, the tech has worked on it for TWO DAYS and still has no clue what is the trouble. He said that the receiver has been doing the problems that I reported at least. He says that he has no bulletins whatsoever from H/K that would help him in solving this problem, seeing that it is so random!

Anyways, he doesn't expect to order a part till tomorrow at the earliest. Then, it'll take almost a week to get parts usually. And by the time he goes thru all the testing...well...I might be out of a receiver still this time 2 weeks from now! WTH! This SUCKS!!!!!!! 7.gif

I feel your pain man! My Denon AVR-4800 has gone back to United Radio for the 3rd time since they did not get it right the first two times. Now the main processor is on order. I have been without my main HT since like the last week in Sept. You're right IT SUCKS! Hope it all works out for the best for you in the end.

WOW. September?! Dude, that really sucks. I read your post, you have every right to be angry. I don't have as much right seeing as I've only been out of my unit for three days now. Well, it's more than that since it's been acting funny for 2 weeks prior, but still. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the tech works hard, finds the source of the problem, and gets it finished. I'm going to be longing for my audio soooo much!

What made me uncomfortable yesterday was when the tech said that he didn't know what the cause of the problem was, but that he would be ordering parts anyway today. This might be in the shop for longer than I want it to be...15.gif

• 1 month later...

Got an update for you guys.

I called the service center 11/19 and asked about the receiver and what was going on. The parts were ordered on the 11/8. They had still not received them. I called H/K directly in Canada and asked what was going on. Apparently they *finally* shipped them on 11/18.

So I called on 11/26 to see if having my receiver before Thanksgiving weekend would be a possibility. The service center had not even received the parts yet :(!!!!

Called today. Because of Canada's customs (?), the parts didn't get there until 12/4. Great. The tech installed the parts (2 new processors!) on 12/8 and the darn thing was now causing even more problems! Switching between AM/FM along with different surround modes on its own. It was even powering itself on and off! The tech was told by H/K to take apart the unit and get to the very bottom of it (soundboard?). He apparently sodered some cables and other stuff to try to fix the problem. Replaced the unit back together...and no good.

The tech had been trying to get a hold of tech support since Monday with no returned calls! THAT WAS IT I HAD HEARD ENOUGH 7.gif ! I called H/K and explained the problem of unreturned calls. I was told that H/K would get a hold of the service center today. I said that was great, but I have been out of a receiver since 11/3 with no end in sight. The tech has been doing everything to the board and I no longer felt good about it at all. I wanted a new board and as per other conversations with other H/K techs, I could potentially get a replacement if more than 30 days had passed. We are passed 5 weeks now. He said they would get it fixed....

Well I was soooo ticked off tonite driving home that I swore that NO they were not going to make me wait, I paid my good money for something that is being "repaired" for 5 weeks...NO! 7.gif

...AND THEN I COME HOME and have a message. The guy at H/K *did* call the service center and they are now going to send me a new AVR 525 since the current one is probably not fixable.

Can you say 9.gif6.gif9.gif

Hopefully I don't have to wait for H/K to ship it and they will just allow me to pick one up at a local store...the last thing I want is to wait another 2 - 3 weeks for my receiver to try to clear customs.

AT LEAST THIS IS GETTING RESOLVED. whew. end of story.

H/K...my dear 525, I have missed you 2.gif

Say what you will if i had been without a receiver for 5 weeks after my new one quit i would feel screwed if they gave me 2 new ones. I would be extremely pissed at H/K for that type customer support if it were going to take that long to fix your $1000 receiver they should have sent you a new one immediately not screwed around for over a month and the only reason they even done it then is you complained enough

I understand their reason for wanting to fix it: cost. However I think that the cost was getting too high for them to continue to try to fix mine because of the labor time of the service technician.

If anyone should have the right to complain it is Frzninvt on here with a Denon that's been in and out of the shop for a couple months now with no fix in sight. His Thread

I am calling H/K or the service center today to see if I can just pick one up at a local store instead of dealing with mail delivery. I really want to watch Pirates of the Caribbean this weekend :).

After getting my AVR-4800 back for the third time and it still had the thump I gave up. United Radio refunded my initial servicing payment, someone at Denon finally called me and offered to service it if I would send it to them. The service did actually contact me a day later than they were supposed to but I opted to dump the Denon instead and bought a B&K Reference 50 to replace it. I must B&K's customer service is first class and out of the four or five times that I called I got to speak to someone immediately, now that is the way it ought to be. However, I could not get the B&K Ref 50 setup to operate for me conveniently so I got rid of it too. I don't think I will consider H/K as their Customer Service is not any better than Denon's that is for cetain. I am back to using my old trustly Denon AVR-3300 receiver since I have not had any trouble with it (knock on wood). The search for a A/V pre/pro or receiver continues. I certainly know how you feel though without a doubt.