Reference volume levels and stuff.

m00n

Kinda three questions here as it's been a long time since I have looked into this, but aren't there two different reference levels? One for Dolby and one for THX?

Secondly, I am quit familiar on how to balance my speakers. Done it a zillion times now, but I don't remember how to get everything setup to reference levels,

And Third... How many of you actually have your system setup to play at reference?

DOLBY is 85 dB C slow scale with the refence pink noise.....

set volume so mains play at this 85

then go around and balance surrounds to this leve keeping main volume knob in this spot.....

I think THX is the same

as the 85 is due to having 20 dB less then the max for the digital media which is 105 dB or so they say...this way when set correctly when you watch the loudest thing you ever hear is 105dB....

AVIA kinda covers this for DD..

HTH

Yeah but there is a hole there... Where do you initially set the volume nob at? Where do you initially set the level adjustments. Do you set all your adjustments to "0" then turn up the volume until your fronts combined or one at a time play at 85? But even that...

*UGH* i gotta stop thinking about this, my head is starting to hurt.

Hey m00n,whazz uuuup?I just set my volume on -10 or -15(I think)you could set it to 00 or whatever you want to be your ref vol.I set all 5 ch to 85db cw and the sub a few db's more.When finished and you turn it to that vol number you should be at ref level,crank it more and go beyond.

Hi Moon,

you put all the individual settings to 'zero'.

Then choose the left or right mains and and adjust the Volumeknob untill desired value (lets say 85 dB SPL at your listening spot).

Then adjust all the other speakers with the individual settings to the same SPL at your listening spot.

execption : if you would have speakers in your setup up which are really much less sensitive (not your case anyway) you might have to start with those and then adjust the rest to them - this in case the individual setting could not be set high enough to reach equal SPL.

Best regards ... jef

• Like 1

Thanks guys,

It seems as though I had asked this question about a year ago also, is it bad to change levels on your speaekrs if you have to go in to the negative numbers? Say I have my fronts set at +2, yet my surrounds are too loud and need to be set at -3. Is it better to take the mains up to +5 and then set the surrounds at 0?

Hi Moon,

with my amp (Denon) the +2 setting would be better than the +5 setting, because the Denon takes this into account when going to max volume - silly argument actualy because your ears would have exploded long before that not to mention the distortion - nevertheless.

For the rest it doesn't matter at all.

Best regards ... jef

• Like 1

Ok the most important thing to remember is that you want to achive reference without straining any part of your system. Lets assume that your channel adjustments go from -10 to +10 and your receiver goes from -50 to +10. Ok so on your first pass you have your receiver at -20 but your front main have to be at +10 to get reference. That is bad. It would be better to bump your receiver to -10 and bump the mains to 0. So as you can see after a little playing you can figure out a good setting between the main volume and the channels to make sure that everything is mid range and nothing is maxed out.

It does not matter if you mix - numbers and + numbers on the channel settings. My settings are +3, -3, +2, -2, -1 and the sub at -5. I set my system up to reach reference and beyond but I hardly ever use it. The above settings are with my main volume at -10 and my receiver goes to +10 but there is no way I could be in the house with it that loud!

Laters,