Squaker measurments

sfogg

Did some comparing of squaker drivers tonight. These are measured by TrueRTA at 1/24 octave resolution with an ETF mic and mic pre-amp into a SB Audigy external sound card running at 96/24. The drivers are mounted to a freestanding Altec 511B horn and the mic is about a foot in front of the horn.

The attached is a K55V spring clip version.

Shawn

post-12845-1381924990101_thumb.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shawn,

What horn was used to take the plots? I am assuming it was the Altec 511b. Right?

I suspect that the K55V driver you tested is the one with the spring loaded push-pin connections. That's the early one with the one-piece phase plug. Note the glitch at 9 KHz. The later K55V with the solder connections has that glitch worked out of it. It is one of the things that makes the speaker shound harsh.

Shawn is sending me one of his 902 drivers. I will be doing more frequency response testing on an Altec 811b horn in the next couple days. I'll be doing impedance plots of it too.

Al K.

BTW. The high frequency response of the Altec 802 makes my JBL 2426h look silly!

Bernd,

" Is the K-55M in the range from 400 to 6000Hz about 5dB louder than the K-55V?"

No, they weren't fed exactly the same level between plots. I was adjusting the levels for each measurement such that when I do the overlays of two drivers you can see most of the data for each driver.

Shawn

John,

"to make 2-way La Scalas"

It does look like it should be possible with the Altec driver/horn combo. Any thoughts on mounting the 511b yet? If it does work out as a two way I am almost considering cutting the face of the La Scala to flush mount the 511b to it. The mounting plate on the 511b is almost the perfect size to do that on the La Scala. For my more beat up center channel La Scala that wouldn't bother me as much (and it would help clear the screen) but for my L/R pair (which is just about mint) that would be a lot harder to do. For them I may just leave it on top of the cabinet.

"How does the efficiency of the 902 differ from the K-55-V on the 511B?"

I haven't really measured it yet but it seems more effecient.

When I replaced the K55v with the 902-8B on my La Scalas with ALKs I first measured the SPL with a 1kHz test tone with the K55v set at 4-x. Then I put on the 902-8B. To have just about the same SPL at 1kHz took a setting of 2-0. Of course the K55v is 16ish ohm while the 902-8b is 8ish ohms.

Shawn

Bernd,

"This looks like a 3500Hz crossover point between K-55M and tweeter would be better."

That would of course depend on the tweeter used and how successful the blend between the two were done in the crossover.

The K55M looks a little better suited to the 6k crossover point then the K55v. The K55v has a pretty big suckout from around 4200 up to 6k compared against the K55M. At least the spring clip K55v does, the solder terminal version is supposed to be improved in this area but I don't have one of those to test. I wonder what the K55x is like?

Shawn

Keep in mind that the frequency plots posted were of the K-55 variations mounted to an Altec 511b horn lens, not a K-400/401. Does not this driver/horn combo require an adaptor? It was interesting, however, to note that the 9khz "bump" remains in this combo too.

Guys,

NO.. Don't move the crossover down. A lot of T-35s do not have good response below 6000.

The fast roll-off of the k55 above 6000 is part of the Klipsch network operation. It IS half of the squawker / tweeter crossover! Klipsch depends on it pooping out at 6 KHz to transition away from the K55 to the T-35 at 6000 Hz. To move the tweeter filter will casue an overlap or a hole!

Al K

This data could account for a lot of things.

One issue is that we're not seeing all variety of the drivers and not on a K-400. None the less, a fair inference is that the midrange drivers and a horn combination have significant output above 6000 Hz. That may be the problem.

This is the nominal crossover frequency of the Klipsch midrange in the Heritage design.

The midrange crossovers, are only high pass, not band pass. The theory is that we let the midrange go as high as possible and assume there is no need for a network which cuts off anything above. The assumption is that there is great attenuation by the driver itself above 6 kHz.

That may not be the case, as the data shows.

The Heyster review of the K-Horn opined that there was a problem with the mid to tweeter crossover point. He didn't say that it was because the mid was still working, but perhaps it was his thought, and may be so in fact.

One theory has been that harshness in the K-Horn was the result of a peak (perhaps narrow) above 6000 Hz in the Atlas driver. A solution was the P-Trap circuit. It would short out the midrange driver over some probably narrow passband. It was my understanding that only the Altas needed it.

The Vacuum Tube Valley article on the K-Horn suggests the P-trap, but does not limit it to any one driver family. I wondered why.

The data shown indicates the problem is not a simple peak. Rather, there is some midrange output (if ragged) over the entire range of the tweeter! It seems more than a Zobel like the P-trap can handle.

The crossover for the 2002+ K-Horn is supposed to be very complex. One suspicion is that they've switched over to a bandpass for the midrange. Modern simulation programs would make this more predictable to design.

Best,

Gil