Need A Good Audio Editing Program

arena

I'm looking for a PC audio editing program, the simpler the better, but I will need it to splice, fade in and out, and adjust levels. Pro Tools is not an option unfortunately. I have a line in on my soundcard, hopefully this program will be able to record from that jack.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

i personally love products from steinberg:

Cubase SL - http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/music_production/cubase_sl_pc/index.php?sid=0 (if you wanna do surround stuff, check out SX 2.0...it's what i have and it's amazing)

Wave Lab - http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/audio_editing/index.php?sid=0

i personally prefer cubase over protools and you don't gotta go through all of protool's crappy hardware.

however, more simpler programs like Peak LE or even creative wave studio might be of interest. (you using a mac or pc? cuz peak is only mac based)

i've never used this program, but it looks interesting (especially if you're looking for simple one click wonders):

http://www.bias-inc.com/products/soundsoap

what exactly will you be planning to do with this program? like, what music/files will you be cutting and splicing and fading?

there's also been a lot of talk about sound forge:

http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=668

cool edit pro is another one that comes to mind...sorry if im spitting out a lot of info. i just finished 6 months worth of research, and i can tell ya most anything about digital audio 2.gif

Sorry to jump in here but since you did all the research a buddy of mine is looking for a PC program that will record is guitar sessions. I'm assuming he would want to be able to do some editing before burning the final product. Thanks.

----------------

On 10/30/2003 11:54:53 PM CO1 wrote:

Sorry to jump in here but since you did all the research a buddy of mine is looking for a PC program that will record is guitar sessions. I'm assuming he would want to be able to do some editing before burning the final product. Thanks.

----------------

Co1, I just got Cool Edit Pro v2.0. My friend has a Sony Minidisc mixer/recorder and using CEP we were able to run his guitar out of his Marshall, through a Shure mic, through the mixer and into the back of my soundcard through the line in. CEP supports multitrack recording (over 100 tracks available), so you can record one track, then play along to that track while recording another. Also my friend says the userface is easier to use than the mixing options on his minidisc.

Email me if you would details on how to get the program.

cubase, cooledit, protools (ewww), and soundforge are all extremely good (top of the line?) that come to mind. they would all be multitracking/do everything programs.

but there are however plenty of other cheaper alternatives...like all your wave editing programs. wave editing programs allow you to do everything that the huge programs do, except that it takes crap loads of extra work and is rather difficult...almost not worth what you save. 7.gif

if your buddy is doing layering of his guitar tracks and all that, i would still recommend going with cubase or cooledit.

so arena, how you liking the new cooledit pro? i demoed it a while back and have used 2000 in the past...I'm considering buying it on top of cubase, so that i got 2 different programs to help prevent my mixes sounding like they're from just one program 2.gif

btw, another important thing to look for is the plugin capabilities. i forget which programs use it, but the VST plugins tend to be popular (and u can find sites all over the place to download them and all that...i've never tried it though). the plugins are what let you add all them cool effects and compression and other random (fun) toys.

If you're ever looking to expand, investing in an analog to digital converter would be your next move...check out the motu 828mkII, it's a slightly older model, which means it's cheaper, but has amazing sound quality...one really cool thing is that it connects to your pc via firewire, so you can unplug it and take it wherever you want (or even plug it into a laptop for portable multitrack recording)

http://www.motu.com/english/motuaudio/828/body.html

motu has other great products so if you're looking for more (or less), that'd be the first place to go.

another good reference:

Build It Digital Audio Workstation, Part II

this gives you a really good layout of an exagerated home setup and most anything you might need (you prob won't need everything, but everyone has slightly different needs)...the only thing this article is bad about is the outdated poor quality AD/DA converters.

Another simple, easy to use wave editor is goldwave, a shareware program you can try out and then purchase if you like it:

http://www.goldwave.com

Cakewalk has released the new version of Sonar, with a much cleaner interface than in the past. They don't require a hardware key as does steinberg. Both are excellent products, although pricey.

Cakewalk also has Home Studio 2004 out, which will do more tracks than most PCs can handle, at around $79.

Quartz Audio, by Digital Sound Planet has some pretty nice programs, the downloaded versions are half the cost of the boxed ones. They also have a free version that will handle four audio tracks and a multitude of midi tracks.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com

Most all of these will require serious tweaking of the os to get to run without mishap.

Marvel

----------------

On 10/31/2003 6:01:08 PM DrWho wrote:

so arena, how you liking the new cooledit pro? i demoed it a while back and have used 2000 in the past...I'm considering buying it on top of cubase, so that i got 2 different programs to help prevent my mixes sounding like they're from just one program

----------------

Well I've only spent about 2 hours with Cool Edit Pro and in that time I was able to figure out how to record in multitrack and edit. I can also tell that this program is way more powerful than I will ever need it to be, which is a nice problem to have. I can't compare it to earlier versions, but version 2.0 is great.

Cool Edit Pro 2.0 is really good, and very easy to get the hang of. It is also now owned by Adobe, and is called Audition. The price went up a little bit as well as the name change. The nice thing is the demo allows saves to be made, so you can really use it for the time period of the demo and get a final product out of it, before buying it.

Acid isn't really an editor, but soundforge is, and another great product.

Marvel

----------------

On 10/31/2003 8:11:40 PM Marvel wrote:

Acid isn't really an editor, but soundforge is, and another great product.

Marvel

----------------

it is depending on what you're using it for. you can take out parts of tracks, change pitch, do fades and cuts etc.