My Klipsch 5.1 Ultra Review DONE!

Swerv

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Omfg, that sub is awesome. I recently heard it lately...and I have to whole heartly agree. THIS SHOULD NOT BE A MM SYSTEM. That sub is unreal, its a frickin HT sub in MM clothing. This is the first real "sub" for MM, and damn does it get deep and sound nice. (Reference designers...you people are gods.)

I have to buy one!

prodj101: just to clarify this, have a look:

This is my results from the ultra sub:

19.69 Hz @ ( 94dB ) 95dB @ optimal listening position / 101dB @ 1m peak SPL

The number in brackets is taken at listening position which is about 12 feet from the sub in the opposite corner, not in the center of a room on a sofa of a large room, you have to keep that in mind :)

the most realistic figure is 94dB and this was with no port noise or distortion5.gif

I understand how you found the measurments. type in Nousaine in the search bar, and read the thread that comes up. you will see that the ultra is equal to these other subwoofers. perosnally, I find this quite outlandish, and physically impossible. unless the ultra had a much larger, horn loaded enclosure (or some other decible boosting configuratoin) there is no way 2, 8 inch drivers (50 square inches of surface area) 170 watts will best a 15 inch subwoofer (176 square inches) set up in a larger enclosure, driven by a 650 watt amplifier. it is also economically unrealistic. if klipsch could make subwoofers that performed like 1,800 dollar subwoofers for under $400, why would they bother with something much more expensive? could you please provide meter settings, the type of meter you used, and the exact room conditions?

Look I'm not here to cause problems but these are the measurements that read out of my dB meter, I'am not fabricating this at all. If you find these hard to believe well I guess its your problem not mine. I'm more than happy with these results. I guess you aren't understanding the nature of these tests I performed, as they are to give you an idea of how loud this sub can output in a computer room - NOT a living room with the seating position being in the center of the room and requireing much more power. Anyway to answer your questions, I mentioned most of this in my review but I guess you missed it... so here it is again:

PC TEST ROOM is 11 feet X 12 feet

SpectraPLUS FTT Spectral Analysis System Software ( to double check the output freq )

Radioshack Digital dB Meter ( max output settings / c weighting / response fast )

HCH TONE generator for single tone testing.

This is how i measured the results:

sub was in corner for the max spl tests 1.5 - 2 feet from wall.

19.69 Hz @ ( 94dB at seating position in the little sofa/futon - If you look at the review i made a little ms paint drawing.)

placing the meter at 1 meter from the port the sub was able to hit 101dB SPL at 19.69 Hz with minimal portnoise (much MUCH lower than that of the 5.1 subs port noise).

Just for the record, if the ultra sub does this in my computer room there is no reason that the RSW-15 (edit: ooops) shouldn't be able to hit much much higher in my test room it would be a no brainer no contest just ask TheEars.2.gif

ProDJ,

Hold your horses,as he told you in a small room,corner loaded in a position where bass boost is strong you can get very high SPL on peaks.

Yes the numbers are what I call "optiistic",for a multimedia sub be it its the best multimedia sub.

But I have two rooms(make that 3 with my PC sound systems)and in my small room even a Sunfire Junior pounds!In my large room it takes a HGS18 to poud out high SPL.

Yes the Junior uses a 8" very long throw woofer/PR and the HGS18 a huge 18" woofer.

Rooms can make or break a sub,in this case the room works with the sub,even damn well.And listening position is very close to the sub so very high SPL are not at all impossible.Sometimes small subs sound more potent then they really are.

And YES I agree 100% the RSW15 bests the PM 5.1 Ultra sub with total and utter ease,its simple physics.A much larger piston,longer cone travel = MORE OUTPUT

A RSW12 bests the PM 5.1 Ultra sub with ease.

I hope this is true Innovazero, I would like to see the worlds collide! But seriously, No this wont compare to high end HT subs like the ear said. However If you're using the ultras in a smallish pc room - you definately can't go wrong.

If you consider that you're getting this type of sub- the amp and the 5 sats for $399 its a hellova bargain if you listen to mp3s and play games or watch dvds on your computer, I'm assuming since most of you have dedicated HT's you would watch your Dvds on those systems,but overall I was very impressed with the ultras. The sub is quite potent...

"n the next 5 years...I'm willing to bet they collide at hell-binding impact."

Not a chance,stay realistic will ya.

Lets see,no multimedia(and priced like one)sub can even touch a Sunfire Signature.The Sig blows away all MM sub combined at 31.5Hz.And the Sunfire is not a HGS18 and the HGS18 is no SVS PB2-Plus and the PB2-Plus is no Krell MRS.

So,yes MM subs get closer,closer to low end HT subs.They will never match all out HT/music subs.NEVER

Try to match my Aerial with a MM sub.

When you have a $500 woofer,1000$ amp and only a $500 cabinet the sub is not multimedia category.

And when you take the Krell MRS each woofer must be around $500,the cabinet at least 5 grand and the awesome king Krell amp/crossover at least 5 to 7 grand.No multimedia punk trash can touch this.Not even in a wild dream.

LOL

"More and more are MM and HT being compared...the two worlds are slowly merging. In the next 5 years...I'm willing to bet they collide at hell-binding impact."

which planet are you from...LOL...

I've been waiting the last couple years to hear a high-end sub that can match my Krell MRS...so far none, nada, zip...not any Sunfire, not any SVS...and (I suspect) not even the Paradigm Signature 2500...not on this God's green earth...well, not yet...

and you're talking about (trashy) MM subs...not even in your wildest imagination...not ever...(unless there're no more women on earth) HA HA HA...damn that was a rough dream...LOL...

You people think HT is $30,000 speakers...its not. Your blindless doesn't see the real point in my post in saying, that MM is being compared to HT...that shows you just how far MM has come. What I ment to say, is that in 5 years, the bridge will gap even closer.

You sir find me a sub, (We'll assume $200 out of the $400 for the sub from the Ultras retail price) That can match the clarity, depth, spl, transient response, xmas/air movement of the Ultra sub for $200..then you will win a price..until then..accept that this system offers performance for the buck that no HT could ever come close too. (I've heard them..have you?) of course TRUE Hi-fi, they arn't...duh!!!

I willing to bet if SVS really wanted to, they could build a $5-10,000 dollar sub (Whats Krell MRS retail, over $20,000?) that would match or destroy the MRS.

"There quite a few DIY subs in the Net that will match and even surpass that Krell."

Sorry but in its size and built quality NOTHING matches the MRS.It takes no genius to desiggn a huge sub,using huge woofers with a big outboard amp to out blast a MRS.But it will be much larger and quality lower.

I tested and auditioned so many subs most reviewers dont have as much ears and hand s on experience.And there is NOTHING right now on the market that can compete in an equal size with the MRS.Its the most power per cubic inch save for the Sunfire Mark IV and Signature.

The B4-Plus is larger,the Everest is much larger.The MRS outperforms ANY sub its size,PROVE ME WRONG.

I Zero,

Nobody can build a sub that will destroy the MRS in the same size class.NOBODY

The MRS uses heavy duty TC Sounds 15" woofers with a 3" max travel(per woofer) in the best,most inert,most solid cabinet found on earth.Plus the amp powering this beast ANIHALATES any QCS,Keiga,name the POS powering the competition...

Its a Krell 2600W RMS MONSTER,and if any ME TOO WANNABE punk builds a better amp Dan will build one based on the MRA(a beast capable of 16KW RMS!).

Krell amps outgun ANY COMPETITION,ANYONE.

If Dan wanted he could ask the other Dan of Adire to design a Tumult beating 18" XBL and the works and power them with a Master Reference class amp(s).Your point is not a real point.