LaScala Crossover Preferences

mark1101

To the Board,

I own the LaScalas listed below. I believe they have the AL-3 crossover in them. I have read that there are preferred models of crossover network.

Can someone list the different ones sequentially, and then comment on which ones listeners prefer the most, second most, etc.

Thanks

The ones you have are some of the most recent issued and are a good crossover to have. They are comparable to the AK-3's used in the Khorns.

Previous crossover's used.

Type A (Not sure if these were used in very early LAS or not)

Type AA (Used from the 70's up until around '82) Most popular

Type AL (Used from like '82 for a few years) Least desirable

Type AL-2 (Not sure on this one)

Type AL-3 (What you have)

Last option is the ALK devised by Al Klappenberger using all top notch components and designed as a direct replacement of the "AA" crossover.

Hope this helps you.

Guys,

Thanks for the good info. I am presently very satisfied with the Las the way they are now, especially with the Scott amps.

I would be interested in the ALK networks just for the heck of it though if there is a marked improvement to be had. My Las sound excellent as is right now. Hard to imagine much of an improvement.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have a pair of La Scalas with AL-3 networks. I also have a pair of Belles with ALK's in them. I put one of the ALK's in one of the La Scalas to see what the differences were. The low and mid frequencies sounded much the same as the AL-3. The big difference to me was in the tweeter section. The La Scala highs sounded more open and "airy" with the ALK vs. the AL-3. Both networks are very close in sound overall. The ALK's look a heck of a lot better.

I plan on ordering an ALK for my center channel La Scala sometime in the near future.

Just my opinion...I'm not an audiophile and don't play one on TV. 1.gif

I have a pair of '77 LaScalas which I modified with ALK crossovers. I'm using them as my front R & L and couldn't be more pleased with the results. I'm also using a pair of Heresys for center and rear speakers; KG4's for side R & L, and a Velodyne 1012 sub. The whole thing is being run by a Denon AVR 1803.

Several times, friends have casually asked if they could come by sometime and listen to their favorite cd on my system. I sure like that kind of compliment.

Dave in Nashville