Bass - SF-2 vs. RF3 vs. RF-35

KeesGuy

I currently own SF-2's which I'm quite happy with for the most part. I bought them from a local dealer just before they moved the synergy line to BB. One thing I never really liked about them (and still don't) is the black finish. My intent from the begining was to upgrade due to the fairly liberal upgrade policy the dealer has. The problem is, after reading over the reviews at audioreview.com on the RF-3 and RF-35, I've noticed the biggest complaint (aside from the floating grill pegs) with both models is a lack of bass. The SF-2 reviews on the other hand often complement the bass response it has. So my questions are these:

Are the reference series models engineered to be used mainly in a home theatre system where a sub would most likely be used?

Since my main concern is for a music only system, would I be better served by the reference line, used heritage line, or keep the SF-2's and buy more software?

Thanks in advance for any replys.

But only if you can audition first and decide it's something you like. NEVER buy a speaker you've never heard, or can't hear.

I've owned Cornwalls -- and these ears are staying with Reference.

SF2's and RF-3/RF-35s have almost identical frequency response ratings. I think Reference has a more pronounced midrange than the Synergy line, and this may over-shadow the bass somewhat. You just need to get them closer to the back wall or put them in the corners.

I've been lurking here long enough that I should have known this would open the Heritage/Reference debate again. ; ) Oh well, it keeps things alive around here!

Anyway, this might help. My last speakers were Magnepan MMG's and a Velodyne sub. I loved the Maggies but never thought they integrated with the sub very well, no matter what I tried. Without it, only jazz and classical worked for me. They were magical in fact without the sub. Before that I used Thiel 1.2 - nice imaging but a little bright.

The logical thing for me to do at that point probably would have been to move to the Maggie 1.6's which I had neither the money or room for at the time. So, I purchased the SF-2's because I liked the sound and I think the dynamics really appealed to me after listening to panels for so long. Now with the SF-2, I'm really pretty satisfied with the things they do well and not too bothered with the things they don't quite as well.

So how about this: Are there any Reference owners out there using the RF-3's or RF-35's for music only that use them without a sub? Is the bass satisfying as is or is it on the lean side? Thanks again.

P.S. - I've heard that the Heresy's are a little lean as well but my dealer doesn't have any of the Heritage series on display. Opinions?

What is your budget?

Consider used Heresey's.

----------------------------------

Dean,

You dork!

Drive the Chevette to the local Speedway, fill up the tank, get a tin of chew, and drive to Michigan.

Good grief!

One night with the Flynnnstr and Craig and you have those RF-7s on the block!

I find it interesting that everyone here with the exception of me is half deaf.1.gif

The last time I listened to Fuel on a set of Cornwalls it damn near put me in the fetal position.

I believe some of you have incurred permenant hearing damage from excessive exposure to those things. My guess is that the little fuzzies in your ears have long since given up crying for help.9.gif

Dean,

The last time I listened to Fuel on a set of Cornwalls it damn near put me in the fetal position.

Did you ever stop to think that it was the first time you ever really heard what Fuel truly sounds like ? 2.gif If you put in a mass of distortion a Klipsch Heritage speaker is going to put a mass of distortion out !!

Yo brother Craig

Leave the fuel CD at home on turkey day LOL !!!

Audio Flynn

The Heresys are awesome speakers, the only thing they lack is bass extension. Since I have a big sub, I don't see the need for "improving" my speakers.

Im considering a set of Fortes, Cornwalls or Chorus, but first I need to listen to them carefully. One thing makes me doubt about them... the best imaging use to come from smaller speakers, Heresy's might not be bookshelfs, but are closer than their bigger brothers.

DeanG

The Reference series is brighter (imo) than at least some Heritages. I can't speak for others, but my Heresy's are quite behaved, I only hear clear, pristine and pure sound out of the horns, and I do find some other speakers (like Polks at high volumes) to being harsh.

Oh, My hearing is ok, thanks for asking. I can't hear very well above 15Khz but since the Heresy's roll of at about 17Khz Im ok.

3.gif

Oh Hell no. On Thanksgiving weekend I'm giving you guys the full dose. I'm bringing Chevelle, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Korn, and anything else I can think of to show you guys just how BAD that squawker is.9.gif

Do you guys want me to bring a chainsaw? Maybe we can cut that K-400 out of there.

I will be out smoking a cig on the deck when you are playing that I know what it sounds like. You just don't seem to understand that music is designed to be played on GM car radio's !! It is horrible music for Heritage Klipsch to play ! I am not kidding here. The music is a mass of distortion !! So the old horns just play what YOUR putting in ! Its not the Squawker is bad its the music.

Craig

Manuel,

You have been around the block on the forum so you are open to be messed with just a bit.

Sub in 2 channel.

Sacreligious!

-------------------

Dean,

I make Craig listen to weird accoustic stuff before I pay him. It aint wild metal to validate the sound.

The squaker is telling you this music is rough.

Although you may like it.

Since I am local I do not have to pay Craig for my mods sight unseen. If karen does not like it she does not pay.

Amps are fine.

Checks are cheerfully post dated.

I do have a lose 3/4 round molding on one of my windows I noticed.

My son will fiix it; he likes Craig too and he does not even like "Life" cereal.

Craig, do you have any idea how lame that argument is. Really, it's terrible. Go see any of these bands in concert, with horns piled to the rafters, powered by solid-state no less -- and it sounds outstanding.

Here -- the truth will set you free. John edited and removed the first post with the picture, but I don't know why.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=34440&sessionID={12480252-636D-4BC7-B738-F0AFDF865EE7}