What to pick? Reciever or amp???

ccsakura

Hi there I'm deciding what should I pick for my system, reciever or amplifier, here's my situation:

Mixed speakers with 2 surround speakers and center is now 4ohms and the front surround are 8ohm speakers. And there's only one source that I don't need recievers source changing function(which is just the computer). And I'm plan to upgrade the 4ohm's speakers into 8ohm's afterwards(so I think I need something that compatable for both impendence).

Under the situation like this, what should I pick for my system? A reciever or just an amplifier?? My budget is around 250 or lower(really a budget config :( ). Thanks in advance!

Well if you will not change sources you could buy just an amp if your source(the DVD player here)has some sort of preamp function.In this case the better quality amp would be advisable if you really dont need any switching or the must have preamp(thsi IF your source has a preamp).

Byt at $250 I dont know what amp to point.All theones I have in mind are well above a grand.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 12:13:14 PM TheEAR wrote:

Well if you will not change sources you could buy just an amp if your source(the DVD player here)has some sort of preamp function.In this case the better quality amp would be advisable if you really dont need any switching or the must have preamp(thsi IF your source has a preamp).

Byt at $250 I dont know what amp to point.All theones I have in mind are well above a grand.

----------------

Thanks for reply :). I think the M-audio revo card did the preamp thing(I did all the balancing there anyway) that I don't really need a preamp right now(yea running out of cash, that's why I got only $250 budget and that'd be a tough choice for having "cheap" and "performance").

I've read about some low end amp don't really support having dual impendence(8ohm and 4ohm) speakers. Is that true or just it's now history of the amp? :).

I wouldn't worry about the impedance. 4 ohms isn't that big a deal. It does suggest a different level of efficiency between the 4 and 8 ohm speakers that might take some balancing out, there should be no problem presented to the amp(s).

The Revo is a nice card! I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. I have one of mine plumbed into a receiver as a (stereo) source. The other is driving a powered speaker system. If you're thinking like me that you'd like to drive a n.1 HT system, I'm not sure that there's a way to do it using the discrete channel outs. Haven't seen a preamp/receiver that accepts n+1 channels in. Probably have to run the digital out into a receiver. Which kinda defeats the purpose, IMHO. Why bypass one of the best DACs you have? 14.gif

----------------

On 11/2/2003 3:36:36 PM DMF wrote:

I wouldn't worry about the impedance. 4 ohms isn't that big a deal. It does suggest a different level of efficiency between the 4 and 8 ohm speakers that might take some balancing out, there should be no problem presented to the amp(s).

The Revo is a nice card! I'm not clear on what you're trying to do. I have one of mine plumbed into a receiver as a (stereo) source. The other is driving a powered speaker system. If you're thinking like me that you'd like to drive a n.1 HT system, I'm not sure that there's a way to do it using the discrete channel outs. Haven't seen a preamp/receiver that accepts n+1 channels in. Probably have to run the digital out into a receiver. Which kinda defeats the purpose, IMHO. Why bypass one of the best DACs you have?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/14.gif">

----------------

If it's alrite about the impedance, I'll leave it alone 9.gif

The way I'm trying to connect is doing the analog way(not using digital out of my Revo card). The main reason I start with this because I'm going to upgrade my computer speakers system into an entry level of HT system 9.gif (probably getting projector afterwards woohoo). I need something to power my speakers, therefore I need a reciever or amplifier. I've checked about the amp and the price is all 600+ that out of budget this moment(just spent thousands on decorating new room 14.gif ). Or is there some cheaper amp that costs lesser for multiple channel speakers(5.1 or 6.1) that I didn't know. Or should I just go back to the reciever like pioneer VSX-D812K/912K(or any recommendations?)?

Sorry too many questions from this newbie to HT 9.gif

I don't think there's a good answer. (Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.)

You can have the 5.1 system by going into powered speakers. Promedia GMX D-5.1 runs about $240 from newegg.com, so that's your price point. Sounds pretty good too. But it takes the digital output (presumably the Klipsch DAC isn't awful).

ProMedia Utra 5.1 takes the 6 discrete outputs, but runs $390. It's probably the way I'd go for a 5.1 computer system.

But then how to turn it into a HT system for other sources? Wish I knew.

Good question and one I will be seeking the answer to if I ever get my speakers.15.gif I have some digital sources I want to connect including the PC which is no problem but I also want to make an analog connection from the PC to my receiver so I can get 4.1 for PC game effects. This is more or less the same idea you are trying to accomplish because with my other HTPC's I have analog connections to receivers but in those cases I only need L & R stereo because all I require is 2 channel stereo. The difference now is that I require L & R front and L & R rear and in your case you will need the center so it's a little different. I'm waiting for all my new gear to get here before I try to figure it out but I know that right now with my other receivers there is no way I can accomplish this. Let me know if you figure out a solution.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 8:28:31 PM DMF wrote:

I don't think there's a good answer. (Hopefully someone will prove me wrong.)

You can have the 5.1 system by going into powered speakers. Promedia GMX D-5.1 runs about $240 from newegg.com, so that's your price point. Sounds pretty good too. But it takes the digital output (presumably the Klipsch DAC isn't awful).

ProMedia Utra 5.1 takes the 6 discrete outputs, but runs $390. It's probably the way I'd go for a 5.1 computer system.

But then how to turn it into a HT system for other sources? Wish I knew.

----------------

The reason that I got 4ohms and 8ohms speakers are the center/rear surrounds are from PM 5.1 and the front surround speakers are quintet. I actually extracted it from the PM 5.1 and going to upgrade into a really HT system instead of having multimedia system grading anymore(just gonna make the pc into HTPC but more computerized). That's why I want a reciever/amplifier so that I can upgrade my speakers afterwards :)

Most of the recievers have the 5.1 input and it can be switched from 3.5mm into rca for doing that(by analog) or just digital coaxial.

----------------

On 11/3/2003 12:42:33 AM DMF wrote:

Cool. I'm learning something here.

Hmmm. Just looked at the Pioneer you mentioned. It has 7.1 input - looks like analog. You already have one? So what was the issue again? That you need a second set of 7.1 for the Revo card?

----------------

ATM i'm trying to do with 5.1 or I'll upgrade afterwards(yea no point for doing 7.1 this moment yet.....). So I'll just leave the ability of upgrading on 9.gif

My connections will be like this:

Computer(Revo)------>reciever/amp----->speakers

Well even thought you wanted 5.1, this may get you started to good gear. Audioadvisor is an authorized dealer for all the things they sell and they have a 2 channel parasound amp for 250. It would certainly beat out 2 channel recivers. Later you can buy 2 more and have 6.1 or buy a 5 channel amp from them. Hope this helps.

CD

----------------

On 11/3/2003 8:32:04 AM cdsang wrote:

Well even thought you wanted 5.1, this may get you started to good gear. Audioadvisor is an authorized dealer for all the things they sell and they have a 2 channel parasound amp for 250. It would certainly beat out 2 channel recivers. Later you can buy 2 more and have 6.1 or buy a 5 channel amp from them. Hope this helps.

CD

----------------

Thanks for the info about the parasonud amp, it's really attractive one and jsut fit my budget 9.gif . Well..... one more thing would be in the consideration now 14.gif. I knew the amp that'd beat others stereo reciever but what about the multi channel?(Yea I got 5speakers on already, not starting with null)

First config:

Computer(Revo)---->Pioneer VSX-D912K----->Speakers

2nd Cnofig:

Computer(Revo)----->Parasound zamp------>Front surround(Quintet)

Computer(Revo)------->Promedia 5.1 Sub--------> Center/Rear surround

The thing that blocks me to pick the ZAMP was my front speakers are not floor standing or bookshelf that's just surround(not giving good basssssss to me 15.gif ) and leave the job to PM 5.1's sub(and ZAMP was only 30watts for stereo speakers, is that fine?)

Sorry guys so many questions and so many tradeoffs. But really learning alot from here :9.gif . Thanks alot(but questions keep going on) 9.gif

Well, I went ahead and found something to fix your small speaker problem when using an amp. crutchfield sells bass blockers. They are about 10 bucks a pair. If you don't want to do that, they also sell RCA crossovers. The RCA inline style ones cost 30 a pair. This may become helpfull later if not now. I may see what I can dig up later.

CD

----------------

On 11/3/2003 11:05:18 PM ccsakura wrote:

First config:

Computer(Revo)---->Pioneer VSX-D912K----->Speakers

2nd Cnofig:

Computer(Revo)----->Parasound zamp------>Front surround(Quintet)

Computer(Revo)------->Promedia 5.1 Sub--------> Center/Rear surround

----------------

First, the Pioneer has pre-outs. You can plug the Zamp into any of the channels you want. Doing so is a start toward a separates system using decent amps instead of the (probably shi##y) ones in the Pioneer. Eventually the Pioneer can become just a pre-amp / source switch. (BTW, 30 clean RMS Watts is a lot of juice for small speakers.)

But second, I'm unclear on what you plan for future HT? You proposed configurations use *only* the Revo as a source. Aren't you going to have other sources like HDTV tuner? cable or satellite box? broadcast or satellite radio tuner? DVD player? etc etc? How do you plan to handle those?

----------------

On 11/4/2003 12:04:13 PM DMF wrote:

First, the Pioneer has pre-outs. You can plug the Zamp into any of the channels you want. Doing so is a start toward a separates system using decent amps instead of the (probably shi##y) ones in the Pioneer. Eventually the Pioneer can become just a pre-amp / source switch. (BTW, 30 clean RMS Watts is a lot of juice for small speakers.)

But second, I'm unclear on what you plan for future HT? You proposed configurations use *only* the Revo as a source. Aren't you going to have other sources like HDTV tuner? cable or satellite box? broadcast or satellite radio tuner? DVD player? etc etc? How do you plan to handle those?

Thanks for the idea about the getting thru Zamp into Pioneer's preout(yea stupid me that didn't think of that before). It makes up my mind that I'd probably grab the Zamp first and get the reciever or better multi channel amp afteron 9.gif

I think I'll keep in single source because I want to turn my computer into the HTPC and bring all the sources into it(Cable DVD etc and add a projector for it later 9.gif ). It might be a bad idea for doing clean source as getting seperate system but due to limited budget again 14.gif .