Upate on Jazz music exploration

kjohnsonhp

Thanks to this forum I have been giving Jazz my full enthusiastic open mined attention for a few weeks. Like all of us, I've been around jazz my whole life but never really paid much attention to it...I have a drink at a jazz club with friends, I heard it at some HiFi auditions, I hear it in movies, and I am familiar with many of the big names, but I've never found myself spending time in the jazz section of record stores until recently. In listening to many jazz tracks I find there are some stereotypical sounds that are very familiar and others that are fresh. I struggle the most with avante guarde free form jazz.

So here's an update:

1) Read JAZZ 101 by a Yale professor - rather technical at times but a good introduction to appreciating the history and structure of jazz.

2) Reading JAZZ FOR DUMMIES - this is a better first book than JAZZ 101. I like the structure and it's easy to grasp. A good book for skipping around and using as a reference. The sampler CD is a special bonus.

I also read www.allmusic.com which is the same but more of what is in the books.

3) Bought:

* Coltrane - Love Supreme on SACD.

I would not recommend this as an introductary CD. It's not very accesssible and has long polyrythmic drumming in one speaker and free for avante guarde sax playing in another. It's a classic but not the hook that draws me into the music for the first time.

* SONNY ROLLINS - The Sound of Sonny 20-bit CD

I found this more interesting and easier to listen--at least many of the first few tracks. There is some solo'ing in the album that is a pre-cursor to Coltrane. It's interesting how some notes seem almost an accident like a very low tone bust out of no-where in the middle of a solo. I like some of slow songs with windy vibrato.

* Ken BURNS JAZZ BOX SET

This is a great overview of the history of Jazz and a great way to sample the artists in the books. The early recordings aren't of great fidelity as you would expect and tend to loose some "soul" on CD but are very interesting and educational. A great way to sample older periods and early greats like Jelly Roll Morton, Fletcher Henderson, Bennie Moten, Duke Ellington, etc. This has a ton of Louis Armstrong and probably not enough of the others.

I tend to like Desc 3-5. I'm more familiar with the Big Band Swing era and the Benny Goodman and Glenn Miller tracks still sound familiar and a bit dated. I like the Stan Getz and Charlie Byrd track "Desafinado" probably because it has guitar an more accible and familiar to my rock heritage.

4) Borrowed from the Library

* Ken Burns - John Coltrane Hits

A sampler with some interesting and others a bit too avante guarde or experimental. "JUPITER" still sounds a bit like random noise from a sax. I think I will try some of the highly rated albums vs this sampler.

* Jay McShann Orchestra - Blues From Kansas City featuring Chrlie Parker and walter Brown. I like the first few slow tracks on this CD...blues not jazz. Swignmatism, Hootie Blues, Dexter Blues. After awhile the story telling dominant tracks about the dog and old lady get a bit tiresome, but I like some of the instrumentals.

5) WATCHING (Netflix.com rental) - KEN BURNS JAZZ documentary.

This seems like a good complement to the reading and understanding of the history of jazz. I've seen the first two discs so far.

6) Downloaded and heard many times - the MOBILE HOMELESS jazz mp3's. I really like all these tracks. More accessible and emotionally connecting than the John Coltrane tracks I've heard.

7) NEXT STEPS

* finish the books and DVDs mentioned above

* buy some of the "Jazz Classics" from 50's and early 60's such as those whose covers I've posted here

http://members.aol.com/kjohnsonhp/jazz.doc

* continue to refine my ultimate JAZZ Library including selections from earlier periods

* Look for those famous sub $5 jazz lps I've never seem to find. Classic Jazz lps seem to be expensive. I don't mind reprints but I'd like original cover art and VG+ condition.

* more Library loans

8) Consider price and version of those albums to buy (XMAS LIST).

The 20-bit CDs seem to be a good start. I thought I would buy the SACDs since few are available and they seem to be very famous lbumss but many are $25 (ie Sonny Rollins Way Out West). I don't think I can build much of a library at $25 a pop. I'd like to find the 20-bit CDs used at the standard $8.99 price. So far building a classic jazz library seems like a much more expensive and hard to find hobby than ROCK.

* I've thought about vinyl but the classics are hard to find or expensive. New rereleases at $9.95 seem to be the best option. The ease of use of CD at the sound of 20-but releasese might be the way to go unless I can start finding the sub $5 lps.

Anyway that's one newbies purspective on all that jazz.

Ken

Like you I had no special interest in Jazz until I had a good system. Now I listen to almost nothing else.

I have the Ken Burns Jazz set and another Columbia Jazz of the ,50s and '60's. In addition I recently took delivery of "The Smithsonian Collection of Classic Jazz" ( 6 Lp's 1973 ).

Just today I ordered the All Music Guide to Jazz and the All Music Guide to the Blues.

Hopefuly I can get myself edgeyakated.

P.S. Thanks again - That PAS-3 is a gem.

Nice overview Ken. I also am new to jazz and have picked up quite a few including the Smithsonian Collection. I've found the library to be a great source for cds that you can burn to help expand your collection inexpensively. There is a wonderful selection in my area and very few takers it seems.

• 5 weeks later...

Your doing a good job digging into jazz but let me interject some advice. Don't go for anymore compilation or sampler CD's. You definately have enough of those. Try to find a listing of the must have recordings. A few that come to mind are-

Coltrane: Blue Trane(much,much more accessible than anything you listed), Ballads, Johnny Hartman and John Coltrane, Lush Life. Be aware that Coltrane is an aquired taste.

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, Porgy and Bess, Birth of the Cool, Someday My Prince Will Come, Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quartet.

Cannonball Adderley: Somethin' Else

Stan Getz: Anniversary, Serenity, People Time

Stanley Turrentine: Ballad or Blue Hour, Hustlin, Sugar, Let It Go

Hank Mobley: Soul Station

Dexter Gordon: GO, Carnegie Hall Concert, A Swinging Affair

Oscar Peterson: Night Train

Charles Mingus: UH UM, OH YEAH!

Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Collosus, Way Out West

Wayne Shorter: Speak No Evil

Lee Morgan: Sidewinder

Sonny Stitt/Gene Ammons: The Chicago Concert

Dave Brubeck: Take Five

Charlie Parker: Jazz at Massey Hall

There's just so much really good jazz out there. The history of jazz recordings is vast so you can always find something old that is new to you. In addition, the new generation of jazz artists are also very good so new music is always on it's way. Sorry for the long post but I'm a huge jazz fan.

I am not of the old jazz school: Coltrane leaves me cold. I am still learning and exploring new smooth fusion-jazz rock: try Diana Krall, especially her newly re-mastered Stepping Out, Patricia Barber, Holly Cole, Norah Jones (Gonna Be Great, 'cause She Got Eight), new kd lang, Cassandra Wilson, Bob James, Chuck Leob, Tom Scott, Al Jarreau, Michael Franks, Spyra Gyra, Simply Red, Grover Washington Jr. and reference quality jazz samplers from Stereophile magazine, DMP, Chesky and Reference Recordings. Find thee a used CD exchange store where you can listen to music before buying and where you can return them if you dont like them. These stores are pleasantly addicting!

6.gif

A fine list of "mild jazz" for Craig:

"I am not of the old jazz school: Coltrane leaves me cold. I am still learning and exploring new smooth fusion-jazz rock: try Diana Krall, especially her newly re-mastered Stepping Out, Patricia Barber, Holly Cole, Norah Jones (Gonna Be Great, 'cause She Got Eight), new kd lang, Cassandra Wilson, Bob James, Chuck Leob, Tom Scott, Al Jarreau, Michael Franks, Spyra Gyra, Simply Red, Grover Washington Jr. and reference quality jazz samplers from Stereophile magazine, DMP, Chesky and Reference Recordings. Find thee a used CD exchange store where you can listen to music before buying and where you can return them if you dont like them. These stores are pleasantly addicting"

----------------

On 12/2/2003 5:46:01 PM Colin wrote:

I am not of the old jazz school: Coltrane leaves me cold. I am still learning and exploring new smooth fusion-jazz rock: try Diana Krall, especially her newly re-mastered “Stepping Out,” Patricia Barber, Holly Cole, Norah Jones (“Gonna Be Great, 'cause She Got Eight’), new kd lang, Cassandra Wilson, Bob James, Chuck Leob, Tom Scott, Al Jarreau, Michael Franks, Spyra Gyra, Simply Red, Grover Washington Jr. and reference quality jazz samplers from Stereophile magazine, DMP, Chesky and Reference Recordings. Find thee a used CD exchange store where you can listen to music before buying and where you can return them if you don’t like them. These stores are pleasantly addicting!

6.gif

----------------

Colin..If your interested in the newer smooth jazz..try some artists and bands like ...Fattburger...The Rippingtons..Craig Chaquico...Jeff Golub...Return to Forever...Just to name a few...

These are pretty much Guitar oriented... But... there are a lot more bands and artists out there...

I'm happy to see that I'm not the only one here that listens to, and apreciates this music!..... 9.gif

I dont think Craig would like that stuff to be honest. Colin, I am even surprized you like some on that list. Jump out of that "easy listenin' Jazz-Lite and wake up them big ole Horns!

Seriously though, I was going to make Craig and Dean a good CD of stuff that might inspire a new listener but it fell to last place status.

Come to think of it, I owe Kevin a jazz CD as well.

Kevin, some of the 20Bit Fantasy Series stuff is a cant lose for digital. Still, Jazz on vinyl and horns is DEFINTELY the way to go. We have some of the same indie racket from the past but when you have a good vinyl rig, there is NOTHING like the mixture of good 50s-60s jazz vinyl, tubes, and the Cornwalls. The Cornwalls really come into their own with this stuff.

IF you HAVE to have CD, EVERY ONE OF THE BELOW is recommended as I just picked from their list. I own either the vinyl or CD of each of these they all have merit. If you want a TO PICK FIRST list, drop me a mail. All are worthy. It's a long list but ALL are classics. Many are also on vinyl, which I prefer, but the 20 Bit K2 has some good sound.

20Bit K2 Fantasy Catalog

Mulligan Meets Monk ~ RCD-1106-2 ~ $14.98

Everybody Digs Bill Evans ~ RCD-1129-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Way Out West ~ CCD-7530-2 ~ $14.98

Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section ~ CCD-7532-2 ~ $14.98

Art Pepper + Eleven Modern Jazz Classics ~ CCD-7568-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Trio ~ PRCD-7027-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins with the Modern Jazz Quartet ~ PRCD-7029-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Plus 4 ~ PRCD-7038-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Tenor Madness ~ PRCD-7047-2 ~ $14.98

Jackie McLean 4, 5 and 6 ~ PRCD-7048-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk and Sonny Rollins ~ PRCD-7075-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis All Stars Walkin ~ PRCD-7076-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus ~ PRCD-7079-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Cookin' with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7094-2 ~ $14.98

John Coltrane Coltrane ~ PRCD-7105-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Bags' Groove ~ PRCD-7109-2 ~ $14.98

Red Garland Trio Groovy ~ PRCD-7113-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7129-2 ~ $14.98

The Red Garland Quintet All Mornin' Long ~ PRCD-7130-2 ~ $14.98

John Coltrane Soultrane ~ PRCD-7142-2 ~ $14.98

Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Giants ~ PRCD-7150-2 ~ $14.98

Workin' with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7166-2 ~ $14.98

Gene Ammons Boss Tenor ~ PRCD-7180-2 ~ $14.98

John Coltrane Lush Life ~ PRCD-7188-2 ~ $14.98

Steamin with the Miles Davis Quintet ~ PRCD-7200-2 ~ $14.98

Eric Dolphy Quintet Outward Bound ~ PRCD-8236-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk with John Coltrane ~ RCD-46-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Brillant Corners ~ RCD-226-2 ~ $14.98

Sonny Rollins The Sound of Sonny ~ RCD-241-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Monk's Music ~ RCD-242-2 ~ $14.98

Chet Baker in New York ~ RCD-1119-2 ~ $14.98

Thelonious Monk Quartet Misterioso ~ RCD-1133-2 ~ $14.98

Chet Baker Chet ~ RCD-1135-2 ~ $14.98

Cannonball Adderley in San Francisco ~ RCD-1157-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Portrait in Jazz ~ RCD-1162-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Trio Explorations ~ RCD-9351-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Trio Sunday at the Village Vanguard ~ RCD-9376-2 ~ $14.98

Bill Evans Waltz for Debby ~ RCD-9399-2 ~ $14.98

Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery Bags Meets Wes! ~ RCD-9407-2 ~ $14.98

Cannonball Adderley/Bill Evans Know What I Mean? ~ RCD-9433-2 ~ $14.98

Wes Montgomery Full House ~ RCD-9434-2 ~ $14.98

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Caravan ~ RCD-9438-2 ~ $14.98

kh

Kelly has it right! That is what I want some Jazz that has snap and crackle. Most of the Jazz I have heard was just too laid back for my taste. I like music with kick! To give you a Idea Old Blue Eyes Frank Sinatra with the full orchestra is right up my Alley. I have a full collection on LP and CD I picked up that taste from my Dad! He is a Big Band freak!

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

So bring on the swing Jazz and I'll start buying I promise !

Craig

Colin,

Get on the net and try out www.smoothjazz.com.............I think you will enjoy it alot.! Also on NPR (National Public Radio), site they have a list of the 100 best all time jazz classics............you can download the list and get them at your leasiure.