New drive for my klipschorns

jjtube

Hello

I'm french then excuse my english !!!!

I've got 1996 klipschorns with AK II crossover.

I'm looking for new and best drive !

I would like to put on my klipschorn driver midrange alnico.

Do you think is good and can you help me to find this drivers ?

Thank you

jjtube....Alnico will not make the driver sound better. The diaphram voice passes through the flux gap of top plate/pole piece. the magnet is only part of the magnetic circuit. Alnico being better is only a myth coveted by the collector. Alnico if jolted or overheated will demagnetize easier. Your Klipsch is fine in the state its in. If your disatisfied with the sound for some reason it might be with other components up front. (amplafier etc.)

It's because I 've a paire of klipsh T 35 tweeter then I would like to have all in alnico you know ?

My electronics are :

SOURCE

EMT 950 DL 103

TECHNIC Z1000 ET P1000

MC INTOSH MR 74

PREAMP

MC INTOSH C 22

AMP

MC INTOSH MC 275

The sound is great but when the volume is hight, it's sometimes hard ! it's difficult to explain for me !

I think the alnico could corrige this fact !

That AK-2 crossover was not one of Klipsch's finer moments. I would suggest replacing the 4mh iron core coil in the midrange circuit to a 5mh air core. In addition, remove the two 70uf caps from the woofer door and replace with a single Solen 100uf cap. This will update the AK-2 Xover to AK-3 functionality. I have done this to my 1988 OO Khorns with very good results. Next I intend to replace the iron core coil in the woofer circuit and upgrade the 13uf cap in the midrange circuit. (This update will clarify the overall midrange response and tighten up the bass response.)

Not unless you want to do some thing really really drastic like change to a what we call a 2" inch driver but then you would have to change the mid horn too. this upgrade can get costly. But that poor T35 would have to be upgraded to some thing better also.

Your English is much better than my French, mon ami!

Upgrading your crossovers is a very good solution. Solen is a French company that makes very good air-core inductors and metalized film capacitors. I'd convert your AK-2 to AK-3 specs using Solen components. Replace the caps and coils, but leave the autoformer (multi-terminal inductor looking thing). If you search the "Updating" section for AK-3, you will find the schematic.

There are 3 other alternatives,

1 - Find K-55-Vs (or new Atlas PD5-VH midrange drivers, Atlas is the OEM) and Type AA networks on ebay.com. You can build your own Type AAs with Solen parts.

2 - Order a pair of Al Klappenberger's crossovers. www.alkeng.com

3 - Order and Type AK-4 Upgrade Kit from Klipsch. It will bring your K-horns to 2003 specification, including K-55-X AlNiCo squawker (midrange) driver, new tweeter and new crossover. The price is about $US4500 or about that many Euros.

JJtube,

Are you sure those are AK-2 crossovers and that the year manufactured is 1996?

The AK-2 was used in the mid 80s while the AK-3 was used in the 90s to present till the "new" Klipschorn (2003-up) AK-4 was introduced.

My 1993 K-horns have the AK-3 crossover and is regarded as being one of the better designs,especially when compared to the AK-2.

Jeff

Well I decided after some reading and information that was provided here on the forum stating that the AK-2 was not a desireable crossover to have. One person went as far as to tell me that the AK-2 should have never left the factory. Although my Khorns did sound good, what could it hurt to spend a few bucks to improve on them. After comparing schematics for both the AK-2 & AK-3 I figured it was a relatively easy upgrade. I removed the old iron core 4mh coil in the midrange circuit and replaced it with an 14ga air core 5mh coil from Parts Express. Then I replaced the dual 70uf caps in the woofer circuit (located inside the woofer access door) with a single Solen Metalized Polypropylene 100uf capacitor. Now my AK-2 have been upgraded to AK-3 functionality. There is an audible difference in the midrange clarity and the bass response is fuller and smoothed out. The cost of the parts was around $80 or so, plus about 15-20 minutes per speaker to move them out unsolder and remove the old parts and install the new ones. I plan to replace the 4mh iron core coil in the woofer circuit and the 13uf cap in the midrange circuit after hearing the improvement with the couple of other parts that I replaced.

I have "AA" crossovers in my three La Scala's and I like them, I replaced all the spring terminal K-55V's with the soldered terminal versions and replaced all the old stiff oxidized wiring on the crossovers and speakers with 10ga. I don't have plans to modify the "AA" versions since they are touted as one of the better crossovers.

Hope this helps.