ALK's

tgourlie

I have a pair of 89 Heresy II's, serial # 8830257 ,8 type EE crossover I believe. Out of all of my years here on the board I never really got the ALK crossover deal. I always loved the sound of my Heresy's so I always thought I had the best possible. I am also in the market for some k-horns, preferable new! What crossover do the new k-horns have? What is the +'s of the ALK's?

New Khorns use the AK-4 network. I have not heard it, but according to Trey and others it is a great network.

This topic has been discussed a lot over the years, Q-man especially. Do some searches for details on networks.

Most agree that the newer AK-3 and 4 are great and the early 80's AK is crap. Most of us AK owners have upgraded to the ALK and what most write about when we do the ALK mod.

Can not comment on the AK-2 network but I would bet it is a fine network also.

Also prefered by some are the older A and AA networks but since you are looking at newer Khorns, not really a consideration.

JM

John!

You missed the Heritage demonstration?

The AK-4 and the ALK crossovers use film and foil capacitors, probably the best kind. They materially contribute to the sound clarity.

The ALKs go another step and use air-core inductors and even Litz wire inductors for the tweeter.

Generally, the advantages of these crossovers come from the high quality parts used.

The Type A through Type AK-3 used paper and foil in oil motor-start capacitors.

I replaced the caps in my Type AAs with Hovland film and foil caps ans like the result, at least on the tweeter; noticible clarity improvement.

Al doesn't work for Klipsch! They would have to buy his design. I'm sure they feel they can do better for less money. Al's crossovers make little concession to cost.

The Type AK-3 is said to sound much like the ALK and vice-versa. Due to driver changes, I'm not sure the ALKs would be a good substitute for the AK-4.

The AK-4 with the new squaker and tweeter are supposed to be the best sounding Khorns ever produced. It probably would be a step down to Al K's design in those speakers. In vintage Khorns, LaScalas and Belles the ALK is a step up. For a Heresy the cost of ALKs would exceed the value of the speaker. And they don't sound bad at all with the stock network. To improve the sound of your Heresys inexpensively, rewire and damp the drivers. The attack is much quicker when these mods are done.

I also put in a little "angel hair" to dampen the box. I don't know how much that helped as I did it at the same time as the other mods which I know bettered my Khorns and a pair of KG-4.5s

Rick