Where to find Tweeters for these?

Bill H.

Bill,

I've never seen or heard of these before. Maybe they were a house brand? If both tweeters in one speaker are working, maybe somehow you could swap 'em, so you'd have one good one in each cabinet? Be careful, though. The mote technically proficient folks here can advise you on the way to do this without blowing the good ones. For replacements, you could try Parts Express. Good luck!

fini

Bill---Actually those speakers have very little similarity to Dynaco A25s, very little at all. In any case if you don't like the tweeters (and some of those old cone tweeters were pretty good, especially the Peerless ones) then you have your job cut out. You need to select a tweeter you like and find out if it will respond as low as the stock tweets (cone tweeters go lower than domes and 2 cones will go lower yet, it may be that the designer used dual cone tweets to get a low crossover from woof to tweets). Of course you need to know what the current crossover point is.

IF the tweet you pick will respond down to the woofer then you need to design a high pass circuit for the new tweet and a shelving circuit so you can blend the new tweeter to the woofer.

If the tweet you like won't respond down to the woofers low-pass then you need to see if the woofer will respond as high as the tweeter does low. If it will then you need to design a complete new crossover and shelving circuit.

If you are Hellbound to replace the tweeters it would probably be easiest to do with a pair of new Peerless cone tweeters, Madisound sells them. www.madisound.com

TBrennen,

I probably got in over my head on this implusive purchase. I just thought, (wrongly so), that all I had to do was replace the tweeters..........

But your Wonderful post, showed me that I probably am getting into an area,(i.e.rebuling speakers.), that I have no knowledge of! Yechs!

Thanks for the link to . www.madisound.com

....I will check them out.

It may not be as hard as you think. Wher you get them, remove a tweeter and look for a string of numbers on the back, maybe in ink. Part of the number is the OEM and part is the manufacturing date. With that you can start a search for new one, recone kits or engineering data to be used to select a replacement. Let's hope the OEM still exists.

I wouldn't call an $18 purchase a major goof even if it all went down the drain. They are certainly worth what you paid for them if they work. Whether they sound good is up to you. The only question remains is whether you can economically replace the tweeter. I doubt you will be able to easily find an exact match. Simplest approach might be to replace all four with tweeters of similar efficiency. My guess is not a lot of engineering went into these speakers. PartsExpress online or your local RadioShack might have just the thing for little money.

I can generally buy monkey coffins for less than $43 locally.

"tops do have some water rings and other blemishes"

How much effort do you want to put into these things?

The foam looks shot on the right hand speaker too.

I would send him the $18, explain that I had made a mistake, and ask him to dumpster them rather than ship them.

Those 20 yeaar old shipping cartons won't hold up either. You have no idea what kind of shape they will be in after FED/UP gets them to you.

Everyone,

I am blown away,truly at all your helpful suggestions. Thank You so very much.

djk, I loved your expression of "monkey coffins"....lol. I was think along the same lines to just send the seller the 18 bucks and tell him to properly dispose of them........good Idea.

Again, this form is a wonderful, exciting, learning tool. To all who took the effort to respond - Thanks!

Daddy Dee,

I took djk idea, and just informed the seller I made a mistake- and sent him the money for the speakers.....18.00 lesson.

Trying to find tweeters to match was more work, and money than the speakers were worth............ He agreed to the terms.

Case closed, lesson learned. I am just going to find some Klipsch speakers -close by that I can see/hear -before I buy!