Plasm vs LCD vs Rear Projection

Thors1982

Thanks for the compliments. Really appreciate it.

Bill, I noticed that you have a Philips 963 ... I recently got one to replace my Toshiba (non-progressive). Have you had a situation where you play a movie and it comes out very blue on the screen? Most movies I play look spectacular but then once in a while, I'll get one with really blue highlights. One that comes to mind is "True Lies".

I've diddled with the settings on the TV but the colors are so far out and only on a few selected DVD's that I'm thinking the issue is on the DVD side. Because it's only on an occasional DVD, I'm wondering if there's a soft switch somewhere that I need to throw.

Ring any kind of a bell?

Thanks!

----------------

On 11/25/2003 4:46:35 PM Chris Robinson wrote:

Bill, I noticed that you have a Philips 963 ... I recently got one to replace my Toshiba (non-progressive). Have you had a situation where you play a movie and it comes out very blue on the screen? Most movies I play look spectacular but then once in a while, I'll get one with really blue highlights. One that comes to mind is "True Lies".

I've diddled with the settings on the TV but the colors are so far out and only on a few selected DVD's that I'm thinking the issue is on the DVD side. Because it's only on an occasional DVD, I'm wondering if there's a soft switch somewhere that I need to throw.

Ring any kind of a bell?

Thanks!

----------------

I figured it out today ... The linear stretch mode was activated, and on some videos, this has a horrendous effect. I shut it off and the movies look glorious.

Today for T-Day, I visited my sister and we watched some TV on her 27". I hate to say it but after a week with 50" plasma, it is REALLY tough going back.

It's time for people to start thinking about front prjectors. I am going to sell my Toshiba 50" RPTV and most likely buy the new Sanyo PLV-Z2 (3-LCD's)front projection TV.

Projectorcentral.com is raving about this product along with customers. Street price 1s 1999.00. I plan on getting the Cinema Contour screen About 800 to 1000 bucks). For around 3000 you can have a 100" diagonal 16 x 9 TV. You only need to be 10 feet back to get your 100". If your thinking of buying in 2 years, they will only be better. Note: LCD means no burn in. I plan on surfing on this puppy.

Wow, I figured ths topic would have died by now.... :-)

Yeah, I am really looking into a front projector now, just have no clue how to set one up so I will probably pay someone to set it up so I don't screw it up. I can't even imagine a 100 inch screen in my house hehe, wonder if i will even have a wall that big :-p

Also, I got the new Crutchfield magazine in like 3 days ago and the only 50 inch plasma they have in there is still $12,000. They have LCD tv's that are 50 inch for only $4,000. So, maybe I am looking in the wrong places but thats all I have seen.

Guest Anonymous

I like the pioneer elita also, and as far as phasing them out, I was just looking at NEW models, for my money they are the best and I already own two, bought them from tweeter and got grat discounts and 1500 in rebates!

Smilin

----------------

On 11/25/2003 1:55:13 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

Chris,

Beautiful word work. Great looking set up.

If you get a chance please let me know how the HDTV is working out and is it worth the extra cashola.

Thanks

Scott

PS if you get NESN HD you may have a problem getting me and other hockey fans out of your living room.
9.gif

Scott

----------------

Scott, wanted to get back to you on this ...

First, the Panny picture is downright unbelievable with a good progressive scan DVD player. The colors are gorgeous and natural. Beats the hell out of my 37" CRT.

For normal resolution TV-watching, the "JUST" or "FULL" modes work very nicely, yet the resolution leaves you wanting more after watching DVD.

On HD, the picture is the equivalent of the DVD. I've watched a few football games and found it to be great. I only caught "some" hockey and would certainly say that it's never looked better on TV.

Worth the cash-ola? I'd probably hold off until we get more HD programming. By then, the prices will have dropped. I don't, however, regret getting this PDP because we do a lot of movie watching (and "some" sports), and it just gets the picture perfectly.

And my wife is thrilled, which makes me especially happy. She usually is pretty understated in her comments, but she said, "Wow ... this is really an unbelievable picture ..."

Drop in sometime when in the area!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

I have set up our new RS7's and it sounds great! I also picked up a

PowerCenter HTS 5100 from MonsterCable. I plugged everything into it. I have to tell you, the sound is so much smoother and the details are incredible. That was one investment my wife was even glad to spring for. We're hearing audio from movies and music CD's We've never heard before. I didn't realize my power was so dirty to my house. I have the screen samples from the outfit I'm going to buy the screen from. The Sanyo Z2 projectors are still on backorder here. Once I look at all the screen samples, I can choose the best fabric for my environment.