Plasm vs LCD vs Rear Projection

Thors1982

What is the difference?????

I am looking to buy a TV in like 2 years. So not anytime soon, don't know why I am even asking now :-)

But, what is the difference. I have also looked at projectors but I don't think I could set one up well enough.

I am looking at 50" higher if possible but thats the current idea.

correction: plasma(sorry)

Right, far down the road, thats why i want to know the difference between LCD, Plasma and Rear Projection.

If I was buying a TV now, I would by Rear Projection. No matter what the difference was in quality cause I can't afford a plasma $12,000 TELEVISION!!!!!!!!

I guess i worded it wrong, not what i should get in 2 years, just what is the difference between LCD, Plasma, and Rear Projection, without paying attention to price. I will use price as a difference 2 years from now :-)

plasma-uses multitude of tiny gas-charged TUBES to make the picture.HIGH burn-in potential,and picture degredation is assured.

CRT-RPTV-uses three TUBES to make the picture,convergence issues and burn-in.

LCD/LCD RPTV-uses LCD or LCD panel tecnology to make the picture-NO TUBES-NO BURN-IN!!beautiful color,very reasonably priced when LCD-RPTV.

DLP-uses multitude of mirrors and r/g/b color wheel that pulses red,green,blue light at the screen.no burn-in potential,good black level/contrast ratio,POTENTIAL rainbow effect(can REALLY be a problem)color not as good as lcd

above is JMHO.

avman.

Maybe you haven't been looking at TVs for the past two years? 2.gif

Plasma TVs are not that expensive. You can get a good one for <$4000 now.

There are three kinds of rear projection: LCD, DLP, CRT. Wide range of prices.

There is the LCD flat-panel type. These are still expensive and not very large, but the picture is simply amazing.

There is front projector with the same technologies as rear projector. Again decent ones can be had for <$4000.

Then there is the old stand-by direct-view CRT. 36" flat screen is quite good.

But none of this matters to you since it will all change in two years. Look where we were (or weren't) two years ago!

Try hometheaterforum.com. It has some good primers on the tech. Or extremetech.com for a more technical approach.

I'm receiving a 50" Panny PHD6UY on Thursday and plan on upgrading the cable feed to HD ... I did a lot of reading around on the subject and decided the PDP was the way to go. I have a 16/9 recessed space for the display already set so RPTV wasn't an option for me. The PDP will go directly above the center channel Belle.

I'll take some pix later this week and post them so you have an idea of what I'm talking about :)

I got it.

I just connected my Champion cvi42 plasma, a panasonic knock off, with stand and shipping came in under $2800. Beautiful picture. I was going to purchase a projector but started rethinking when I was looking in the set up for the HT.

RPTV was never considered and the projector was not as versatile/convenient as the plasma for multiple sources. With a projector connections were limited and no accessible unless the furmniture was moved. The plasma has a variety of input and is very accessible for the xbox, playstation2, laptop, desktop, dvd and cable.

In 2 years I am sure the Sampo, SVA, or othre company will have a 50" for under $4000. In 2 years that will equate to 1.5 generations. Meaning the new plasmas hitting the street are the second and third generation of most companies.

With Sony solely making plasmas and lcds starting next year and other companies following suit the abundance of manufacturing capabilities and increased availability will drive down cost as these items become mainstream.

Makes sense for sony to do this when you look at the shipping alone. 3 50" plasmas take up a little more sq footage than 1 40" wega. sony can ship almost 5 50" plasmas to 1 52" RPTV.

Projectors may produce a larger overall picture but it is a little more work running the cables. That may turn off all but the enthusiasts.

Just my thoughts

----------------

On 11/14/2003 11:50:07 AM DMF wrote:

Plasma TVs are not that expensive. You can get a good one for <$4000 now.

There is front projector with the same technologies as rear projector. Again decent ones can be had for <$4000.

----------------

[/blockquote>

I guess I may have chosen the wrong profession. To me, a $4,000 TV IS expensive!! if I could afford it, I could justify the price for the picture afforded by the investment, but then again, there is still the WAF to figure in, and even if she thought the picture was better than real life, AND we could afford it, I bet she would still sh!t bricks if I told her I wanted a $4,000 tv set! Back to my 27" Quasar, that is HAPPILY back from the shop, all of a sudden while watching Nemo for the 239th time in the last 3 weeks, I heard a small "pop", my wife didn't hear it, but the colors went to a red circle in the center, yellow around it like a bulls-eye, and blue in just the corners. Shop just said "Repaired circuit board" no parts, $49.50. Don't care what they did, but wasn't happy staring down a new tv with a new house coming up next spring!! Bad enough living with the 19" from the bedroom for one week, to say nothing of an extended stay.

BTY, nice looking setup you have there. Very good WAF!! 1.gif]

----------------

To me, a $4,000 TV IS expensive!!

----------------

ALL IS RELATIVE! I was replying to this phase, "cause I can't afford a plasma $12,000 TELEVISION!!!!!!!!"

Relative to that number, a $4000 TV is downright cheep!

I just sprung $3000 loose for the new Sony 50" RPTV. A LOT more than I ever intended to spend, but the wife and I just saw it and decided, "It's time". Now we have to tear out the fireplace... 6.gif

DMF, thanks for the kind words!

It was a fun, long-term project but it's come together pretty well. We spend a lot of time in that room, and given that it opens in the back to the kitchen, it's kind of the center of the home activities.

I think it's great that people can take their own living space and try to make it as special as possible, given their budget constraints.