recess the rptv?

firefighter

I have a 52" Toshiba Theatre View rptv, it is located in the room over the garage where I am building my HT. I want to recess it so it would be flush with the finished wall, there is plenty of room and it would be sealed from the heat in the attic. I am sure the tv needs air so how big does the opening need to be in relation to the size of the tv or is this a bad idea. I also want to recess my Heresy II's in the same wall at seating heigth to get the full unubstructed sound, would I loose any depth in the sound from doing this.

Thanks Jack.

As for the TV, it doesn't vent out that much heat whatsoever, so you won't need that much ventilation, maybe a foot behind it to get the wires and cables plugged in. You can give it a little room around the outside of the tv behind the face of the wall, hard to explain. Like, build the reccess and make the reccess itself a little larger all around the TV but make the front that borders the TV a tight fit all around it. Does that make sense? 1.gif

As for the speakers, not sure on Heritage, I know that with any rear port speaker you don't want it to be against a wall, not sure if enclosing it sort to speak will muffle the bass response or not, would think it would though.

A fellow on the avsforum did a built-in and covered the facing wall with a dark carpet to absorb light. He left a couple extra inches of carpet inside the opening, then tucked them into the crack between the wall and the monitor. Sounds easier and better looking than trim.