KG 5.5 worth

98_1LE

Hi, Dont know how much help this will be,

There is only one listing on Ebay for 5.5's . The person is Trying to start his auction at 300.00 with a BIN of 700.00. I think this is WAY to high.

Using the example of the trade for SB3's.... I had SB-3's two years old. I was only able to sell them for 225.00 (avg sale was 250.00). So I'd assume not over more than 300.00 max............JAI...........

Now you need a better center channel since your have four KG5.5s! I too have KG5.5s (as mains) and I can honestly tell you that KV-3 just doesn't keep up -- and I know because I once had one. Theoretically you want a lone KG5.5, but in my case I found the matching tweeter (a K-85-K) and used four 6.5" woofers instead of two 10" woofers. FYI, four 6.5" woofers move the same amount of air as two 10" woofers so my setup is bascially equivalent. See links to pics of all my custom speakers in my sig. Even using a lone KG4.5, 4.2, or 5.2 would be a great improvement because all those speakers use the same K-85-K horn tweeter. And wouldn't you know I have a lone KG4.2 for sale! ;) It is oiled oak but needs some TLC. Let me know if you are interested and I can send you some pics...

Thanks for the advice STL. I noticed the "hole" front & center when using the four 5.5's, but for the first time the front and rear seemed to meld together. I agree that the KV-3 can't keep up. I have found some of your advice in other posts and have looked at your setup. Very nice BTW. Ideally I would like seven 5.5's, but what does one do with a 70# center channel? I was thinking about replacing the front panel in a 5.5 so that I could have it woofer--horiz. horn--woofer, but there is not room for the port if you rotate the horn 90º. I suppose the port could be put on the back right behind the tweeter.

Anyway, let me think about it and I will let you know on the 4.2. I assume from your screen name you are near St. Louis. I am from there, and will be spending 8 days there around Christmas.

Chuck

Yes, I'm in the 'burbs in St. Peters. I'll be on the road part of Christmas but should be back around the 30th. BTW, yes you could go with a port on the rear (depending on speaker placement) but you might be better off going with multiple smaller ports or a shelf port (or two).