Sonic frontiers amp

kuisis

I guess you could see if he would do $650 shipped.

I've read the older ones sounded pretty good. Back then, they didn't use any more feedback than necessary.

I can't really think of anything that might be better for the same amount of money -- maybe a nice Scott integrated?

I assume you have a preamp?

I remember this amp when it came out. I read some so-so reviews that were ok but nothing that lit things on fire. But never heard it. I got curious. After doing some digging on this, someone on the AA said Joe Curcio actually helped do this amp for SF; it was their first amp. Then I ran into some more problematic posts, this being about the most detailed:

I always thought I wanted a SFS40, until a friend of mine bought one. Poor sounding and even worse build quality. The input board is a joke...parts quality is low too.

I would strongly advise you to say away from the SFS40 and 80. Morinix suggests that you buy one and "mod" it. Nice idea, but the tracing on the board is of such low quality that it just lifts right off when you try and solder on it. The amp is also designed very poorly from a servicing standpoint. You have to put in quite a bit of effort to get the board out.

Sorry that I didn't have anything nice to say, but I just thought I'd share my expirences. All this comming from a guy who DID want one, once upon a time.

Personally, I would look elsewhere as there are some fine point to point wired options I would take over this. Although this price range is pretty tough, there are some more safe choices in my view.

Then Joe Rosen offers his usual acerbic take:

However, Sonic management(and trust me, I know) are not true Audio buffs. They believe if you can't measure it, it doesn't exist. Or worse, if it gives good numbers, it sounds good. They were pre-occupied with bringing a product to market that was slicker than the next guys...

I think virtually all of Sonic Frontiers products are far from state of the art sonically speaking. And the higher you go up the line, the lousier they get. They were overly dependent on the Sovtek 6922 & also used the 12AT7. Amps mostly used 6550's, probably just to improve their appeal in the American market. The sound of Sonic Frontiers is cold, bland, hard & quite uninvolving. The images are small, depth & width are lacking. Tone sucks. Listening fatigue is quick to set in & relentlessly unpleasant. Dynamics are pitiful. The sound is so unrealistic, it is almost strange.

There is absolutely no reason to prefer Sonic Frontiers over anything from ARC, c-j, BAT, Atma-Sphere, VTL/Manley, Cary or even Adcom. Yep, I think the stuff is so souless that you may as well buy solid-scrape instead. At least you save money on replacement tubes while you suffer the lousy sounds!

Joe is always good for a few laughs. Based on my talks with others and the little SF I have heard, I tend to agree with a very toned down version of the JR take.

kh

So, what was the tube amp you heard on the LaScalas? Better yet, what was the whole system and the impressions of it? Might be able to ascertain where you should land on the whole issue.

To make you feel a bit better, the chance of ole Joe actually hearing the SFS-40 is slim but the comments were amusing.

If it measures well, they will come...

A friend of mine came over to my house today with his jolida

amp. I have been powering my speakers with an hk 730, a marked improvement from my old sherwood. I have read about tubes on this forum since I bought my speakers so when he offered to let me listen I was all for it. The difference between the two was amazing. I knew there would be a difference, but not such a large one. The music just sounded so much more real. I don't know if that's the adjective, but that's how it seemed to me. I'm looking for that kind of sound and now know that I need a tube amp.

kuisis,

I'll offer you a vintage integrated for $285 less than that. It's a Scott 222C, see this HH Scott page for a rundown, notice that it's the Editors Choice there. This amp has been updated with caps, rectifier and dropping resistor from Craig at NOS Valves. I did the work myself. While not a museum piece by any means, it's decent looking, no major bashes or flaws. I don't have the wood case for it, but if you want one they come up on ebay pretty regular. I have some pics somewhere if you're interested.

I ran this on a pair of LaScalas, I don't mind saying it's pretty sweet and can really slam on the LS. I don't know know what kind of music you listen to but this does both classical and harder rock-type stuff equally well. I have another 222C and an Eico HF-81, neither of them do any better than this one. As far as I'm concerned, the 222C is about the top of the line as far as 6BQ5/EL84 based amps go.

I haven't offered this for sale before and it will take a week or so to get it ready since I have a major construction project going on in my shop starting in the morning. I just need to go over it, check the voltages, round up the spare tubes I have for it, suchlike. Let me know if you're interested and I'll post some pics.

Tom