Anyone use a subharmonic synthesizer in their system?

fabulousfrankie

I saw the Behringer Ultrabass EX1200 subharmonic synthesizer while looking for something else and with me being the bass crazed man that I am it peaked my interest. I believe my subs are fully capable of handling the extra load this would put on my system. I mainly use my system for HT and I think this could be a fun piece of equipment to add.

I've never really looked into something like this before, does anyone have experience using something like this in their system?

I use a DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer in my system and it is fantastic. You can also look into the Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator (PCA) Series III (Like an Epicenter for your house). I prefer the DBX unit since the Audio Control tended to be a one note wonder. The DBX 120X-DS is widely used by musician's and studios. It is actually preferred over the current offerings from the DBX Professional group. The 120X-DS was designed and engineering by the original DBX consumer group before their demise in 1990. They still command a good price on eBay when they do pop up.

----------------

On 11/17/2003 7:54:06 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I use a DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer in my system and it is fantastic. You can also look into the Audio Control Phase Coupled Activator (PCA) Series III (Like an Epicenter for your house). I prefer the DBX unit since the Audio Control tended to be a one note wonder. The DBX 120X-DS is widely used by musician's and studios. It is actually preferred over the current offerings from the DBX Professional group. The 120X-DS was designed and engineering by the original DBX consumer group before their demise in 1990. They still command a good price on eBay when they do pop up.

----------------

Thanks, I'll look into the Audio Control and DBX. Have you ever found it to put too much strain for the Velo 15" in your system?

I haven't really been able to reach the limits of my currents subs yet so I don't imagine I'll have any problems. I usually stop turning it up when all the lights in my room dim to the bass9.gif9.gif9.gif.

Frankie, the DBX 120X-DS is much more than that, it enhances the bass response to the main speakers as well! It takes a 110-55Hz response and synthesizes it a full octave lower to 55-28Hz. Their are 4 fine tuning knobs on the front of the unit to tweek the response at 28, 34, 40, and 50Hz. It is also an electronic crossover fully variable from 50-210Hz with its own volume control on the front of the unit. The other front controls are to adjust the subharmonic levels and how much of it you want introduced into the signal chain. It can also be bypassed at the push of a button. The 120X-DS will usually draw three times what the Behringer unit would cost you on eBay. It regularly sells for between $200 - $300 on average but is widely considered the unit of choice for bass extension.

It can be dedicated to the subwoofer only if desired, but I use it for the entire system and bass detail is greatly improved across the spectrum. Just be careful and use them in moderation!

I only say it's expensive because it will have to be used with incredible amounts of moderation. also, because you're using this with complete music (not just one track of say a kick drum or bass guitar), the effect gets added to everything.

the concept is cool, but i wonder if you might find more desirable results using a subwoofer EQ? this way, you'll be amplifying something that is already there, versus creating new sounds.

However, that's all just me opinion and im a lot tighter on cash too...it is a cool toy though. and behringer makes amazing products (i've got their headphone distribution amp thingy and some crossovers and effects processors)

i guess it depends on its use too; like for HT and Techno it'd prob be amazing 2.gif

----------------

On 11/17/2003 9:23:28 PM DrWho wrote:

I only say it's expensive because it will have to be used with incredible amounts of moderation. also, because you're using this with complete music (not just one track of say a kick drum or bass guitar), the effect gets added to everything.

the concept is cool, but i wonder if you might find more desirable results using a subwoofer EQ? this way, you'll be amplifying something that is already there, versus creating new sounds.

However, that's all just me opinion and im a lot tighter on cash too...it is a cool toy though. and behringer makes amazing products (i've got their headphone distribution amp thingy and some crossovers and effects processors)

i guess it depends on its use too; like for HT and Techno it'd prob be amazing
2.gif

----------------

I get what you're saying now. I already have a Behringer Feedback Destroyer which has a 12 band parametric for my subwoofers though.

I mainly posting this to find out anyone who's used something like this for mainly HT use found the effect annoying or unnatural sounding. I know this can put a great deal of extra stress on the subwoofers but I have two giant vented Styke AV15 sonosubs with 750W to each in a 1500ft^3 bedroom so I feel my subs are capable of handling the stress. I also have a subsonic filter to to prevent bottoming below my subs tuning frequency.

----------------

On 11/18/2003 7:13:06 PM TheEAR wrote:

Gadget,gadget and more gadget.No serious system will ever need a fake bass augmentation generator.

Why in world would you like FAKE bass not present on the original track???

I am astounded these things even sell!

6.gif

----------------

I might try it since it's so cheap, if I don't like it I can sell it and only be out a few bucks. I think it could be a cool effect synthesized bass blends naturally with the rest of the signal.