setting up turntable

rtaylor

Hello, after getting all stoked up again with the klipschs and tubes working I took a trip to the local Goodwill store. Albums up the wazoo and all cheap. Just finished building a shelving unit to house it all. Had to make sure there was enough room for the turntable to get set up also.

Here's hoping for a little help setting up my turntable after many years of it sitting in the closet with the other gear.

I'd like to know what you guys (and ladies?)prefer for your turntables and albums.

1) Need to set the weight for the cartridge and align it also. Had a scale and some type of protractor before but alas, can't find them now. Any recomendations?

2) Stylus brush?

3) Record brush?

thanks for your time randy

post-11998-138192501854_thumb.jpg

Hello Randy,

I am sure that there are all sorts of resources out there but I found that http://www.turntablebasics.com/ has very reasonable prices on what you need. An alignment gauge and a stylus force scale. I set up my tt using their equipment and had it checked by someone who had very expensive set up equipment ( by a facot of about 20X what I paid) and I t was spot on!

Josh

Basic record cleaner: AQ or Decca carbon fiber dry brush; day to day and "finnish" cleaning

Wet Cleaner: VPI entry level (16.5?); standard VPI brush; VPI fuid concetrate(entry level fluid)

Stylus cleaner: LAST stylus brush and treatment

Pretty basic, but reasonably thorough but I just started back into vinyl about 8 months ago.

My next experiment will be with Gruve Glide preservative some people like.

There is a "Beginner's Guide to Cartridge Setup" at www.audiophilia.com/features/cartridge_setup.htm --

It notes that the cantilever should be aligned rather than the cartridge body (second paragraph under "Alignment"). Some alignment tools are focused on aligning the body and don't make it easy to align the cantilever.

----------------

On 11/19/2003 6:41:08 AM marksdad wrote:

go to disc doctor, they have all you need for your cartridge and lp care, plus those little things you will be needing for your new (old) lps like new insert sleves, and such, i just spent 100 and got a bunch of stuff i have not been able to locate anywhere in town
12.gif

----------------

Is discdoctor.com the right url?