Rega Planet Question for Kelly or other RP owners

steve

Mike

Actually I just think you forgot the -brackets with img in them at the beginning and the end..and yes, you need a forward slash before img at the end one as Kelly pointed out..I did notice tho..for that to work (the brackets) I had to use HTML, and not rich text..just a thought..

Steve

Kelly..

thanx for all the tips..that posted pic was of me and two pilots at work when I had my 88 Harley, new..and before we updated the jet paint..anyway,that was 15 years ago..

Hey, the Rega seems to play just fine..I was comparing it to my other CD player, and the Rega definitely sounds more defined..

Now here's another thing I tried, since you mentioned it..and I know I'm gonna get blasted for this one..

but I turned off the display, and it seemed to me (to my ears anyway) that it smoothed out i.e. the graininess went away, what little I may have perceived. Before I get lambasted too much, I did a "blind test", where I closed my eyes, and flicked the display button on the remote numerous times, very rapidly..then slowwwwly hit the display button again..listening carefully..and (seriously) 9 times out of 10 I heard the subtle difference, and when I opened my eyes the display was off.

Really!

And to you naysayers, that's what I heard! I am lucky enough to have a DEAD silent room, and amp..no flourescent lights to interfere..

Hey..I'm happy with the Rega! Can't wait to listen more!!

Again, all..

thanx for the help

Regards,

Steve

Lordy, I dont know about that jet harley pic.... That's a beast and almost life size! heh...

All you have to do is post in PLAN text, not in the RICH TEXT. It will support either the HTML tags or the brackets I showed you.

Actually, posting pics is not to be done too often as it really slows the load time down. I try to only do it if showing something or picturing an amp or piece of gear. I cant imagine if everyone started going berserk with the pics. The latest thing is rampant quoting of WHOLE posts using that quote method here. The space wasted by that is insane.

Good job on the pic though. Glad we finally figured the thing outr. Stehr, you'll get it.

kh

Steve, I have reported this turning off the display in here many times, mostly to complete ridicule. I could care less though as I have noticed this since I bought my first machine years ago. I ALWAYS leave the display off unless I am doing something that requires it to be on.

I can pick out the display being on from the other room and so can my wife. If the power went off and came back on, the display will return. I'll hear it after awhile and go look and sure enough, the damn thing would be lit.

Also, I would put a ferite filter for RF (from RS for $5) on the power cord near the machine. Lastly, leave it on ALL THE TIME. NEver turn the REGA off. Just leave the display in off and the unit ON. Also, good IC are VERY important for this player.

What IC are you using? So display off and player ALWAYS on. The REga takes about 24 hours or so to sound ok, another reason to leave on. Good IC will complete the bill.

kh

Kelly

sorry bout the pic..ha..I have satellite internet, so like cable and DSL I get downloads FAST! Forgot about the dial up guys, I'm so spoiled!

I have always been a believer about leaving SS gear powered up, 24/7..it's like a light bulb..they just don't burn out...they fail when powered up/off!! So in that case, you're preaching to the choir!

As for interconnects, I use Audioquest Quartz 3..I've had good luck with them..

Sounds smooth to me!

Thanx again!

Steve

----------------

On 11/20/2003 2:13:43 AM steve wrote:

but I turned off the display, and it seemed to me (to my ears anyway) that it smoothed out i.e. the graininess went away, what little I may have perceived.

----------------

Steve,

If you can hear whether the display LED is on or not, that means you have a poorly designed CD player.

Just for information's sake, Bruce Edgar keeps his LED on.

----------------

On 11/21/2003 9:16:40 PM paulparrot wrote:

Steve,

If you can hear whether the display LED is on or not, that means you have a poorly designed CD player.

Just for information's sake, Bruce Edgar keeps his LED on.

----------------

Well I can't tell the difference, so there.

There isn't anything wrong with the Rega Planet, it's a nice sounding CD player. Try one.

Good for Bruce.

Paul

let me relate it to you this way..and it's what I hear, for what it's worth.

I have had numerous Adcom CD players, with a polarity switch. Same thing..some recordings sounded better with the polarity reversed. I did the same thing with the remote..closed my eyes, switched back and forth randomly, and could guess which mode the polarity switch was in 9 out of 10 times..so maybe the display affects the polarity?? I'm not a rocket scientist, nor do I have superhuman ears, heck probably worse hearing than most of the posters here! I was just reporting what I heard!!

Regards,

Steve

• 3 weeks later...