OUTLAW AUDIO How does it stack up?

batibot

I believe the $1500 is for both a preamp and amp.

I own the outlaw audio model 950 preamp. It sounds freaking great, my only complaint is that the signal to noise ratio is not quite what I would want, ergo there is a tiny bit more noise than I'd like. For the money though, its an awesome preamp/processor.

I couldn't comment on Outlaw power amps. I run Rotel.

----------------

On 11/23/2003 7:52:36 PM batibot wrote:

I was reading the new s&v magazine and It has a ad inside for $1500 outlaw audio preamp?amp the amp is 7 channel ..It's good price but I'm just wondering what's the catch?

----------------

Outlaw makes outstanding products and receive nothing but praise. From what I read their customer service is great as well. Here's your catch, they only sell internet direct which means you buy directly from them without auditioning. They give you a 30 day in home trial to return it if you don't like it though. Due to the nature of internet direct sales you end up getting a better value because it cuts out the middle man's markup(and many other costs as well).

I have the 950 feeding separate amps (soon another Hafler XL-280, too 9.gif ).

I have some quibbles about certain features, but this thing should have QUALITY and VALUE written all over it.

Have heard nothing but good about their amps, although in the HT environment, most people don't ask amps to do what audiophiles ask them to do.

Overall, I don't see how you could lose with Outlaw. outlawaudio.com Check out the user forum, too.

Yes, they're for real.

• 2 months later...

I own the Outlaw 950 pre-amp and the Outlaw 7100 amp and used it since November (previously owned a denon 3801) and I am very pleased. The build quality is top notch, the equipment manuals are well written (clear illustrations and instructions, for example, they provide a very good write up about calibrating speaker levels using a sound meter), you have triple crossover adjustments (front, center, surrounds), plays clean with no distortion, and provides more than adequate power. In many ways, the Outlaw equipment reminds me of NAD products. I once had a NAD pre-amp and a NAD 2 channel amp. Both Outlaw an NAD have the same philosophies : no special gimmicks or features you don't need, but outstanding audio reproduction. Play my system at -20db volume setting and it is thunderous, not even close to using the full 100 watts for each channel (the 7100 is a 7 channel amp).

My system:

1 pair sf-1

1 sc-1

2 pair ss-1

1 ksw-12 sub

monster cable

Outlaw 950-pre

Outlaw 7100 amp

Toshiba 42 HD Rear projection TV

Panasonic dvd-rp82 progressive scan

Outlaw interconnect cables

Dish Network satelite receiver

Pioneer cd recorder

I have the 950/7100 combo it is clear and clean, I can not tell that it is on even when turned way up. Since I am feeding an all heritage surround system with it this is trully remarkable, The high currrent amp has power to spare. I still like to feed cds and records through a tube preamp and the 950 has a bypass option that works great with this setup. For movies and SACDs the 950 excells. I had 2 1050s (the greatest value in audio I've ever found except for old used Heritage speakers)and still use one in my second system. Outlaw customer service is like hiring aa audio consultant to work with you. True high end at a mass market price. The 950 and amps are sold for a lot more under other brands - search the outlaw site BB for their names.