Help with a new 2 channel setup

rtaylor

Kelly, you are such a sucker -- I knew you'd fall into that first post.

No real drag racing until late last night, and I wasn't expecting to win that one anyway. At any rate, the Canary got plenty loud enough, that wasn't really the "problem". Hooking it up to the scope showed good square waves through all frequencies while testing each channel at full power. The problem was when both channels were tested at the same time, and it would appear the shared power supply is the real culprit. So, yes -- monoblocks are definitely the way to go. It sounded sweet, just no balls in the LF.

I shouldn't have said there was "nothing" below 100Hz. The amp can play the frequencies, but the square waves weren't very clean with 100Hz and down during the power response tests. It sure made me wonder what things look like when ALL frequencies are going at the same time, and how this would also ultimately effect the midrange and treble as well.

Using the scope hooked up to the outputs of the amp with music playing, we could easily see that peak wattage was almost always a factor of 5 higher than steady state. At 6 watts steady state, the Canary was peaking out at close to 25 watts -- with a wee bit of audible clipping. The scope and the math showed the Canary capable of 18 watts RMS -- but that number can't be used in conjunction with a speaker sensitivity rating to get an SPL value. It just doesn't work out that way.

Amps are rated using one frequency at a time, but it doesn't really tell you much about how the amp will do with complex material when driven to full output. With complex material, I figure a 2A3 SET amp will do .5 watt (steady state) before distortion starts climbing, and compression takes hold. Yes, a beautiful midrange, because the lower bass is being lopped off and the treble is being squished down.

We've been listening at many different volume levels, and have used just about every combination possible with the gear we have here. I even did a 1/2 hour with Paul's HF-81 -- which when I said I liked it -- Craig tried to throw me out of the house and into the snow.

I'm still digesting, and Craig will probably correct anything I said that was wrong -- but I think I got it right. I learned I like the 6L6 tube, and Paul's Pilots are dynamite. Of course, Craig's MK IIIs run away in the tearing up the strip department, and the Canaries get the smooth as a baby's *** award. I sure am glad I have a small room, or I would have to sell it.

Paul has put on everything from Mahler to Horrorwitz to Sam Cooke and back around again. A lot of good exposure over here to different things. Pretty neat. Heck we even woke up this morning to Diana Krall !!

At any rate, the Klipschorn is King. Simply the best speaker system I've EVER heard. What a difference tubes make!

Dean

Dean/Paul/Craig,

Wish I could join you guys-sounds lilke a fun weekend. I would like to get all the Central MA guys together after the holidays for a little meet/greet, not unlike what you guys are up to.

So Dean, give us your thoughs on the Eico-did it live up to your expectations? Describe the differences between your RF7s to Pauls K-horns?

Hope you guys are taking Pics of this weekend so we can all feel like we've "been there".

Jeff

PS:Craig-aren't you getting a little behind on your work with this trip?2.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2003 11:03:56 AM Tom Mobley wrote:

If the guy really wants nice new stuff why not set him up with a new Cary pre and new Welborne DRD monoblocks? If he wants to make adjustments after that he'll be in a good position, that stuff is eminently sellable/tradeable.

I guess this would be provided he's got something burning a hole in his pocket....

Tom

----------------

Thanks Tom, does anybody here know of someone or somewhere near Cincinnati to audition a Cary pre and Wellborne amp?

Kelly, do you have any reccomendations for a pre amp and digital front end? Hoping to find a musical multi-format model.

Radny