SACD or DVD-Audio?

joshnich

In the recent past there has been discussion on this forum regarding the future of SACD and DVD-Audio.

I read interesting piece in the UK publication Hi Fi News that had some interesting facts. The title of the article was DVD - Audio still looking for hybrid salvation. The perspective was that unless or until a Hybrid DVD- Audio disk (one that will be compatible with older CD players) is perfected the format would go nowhere.

They point out that sales of DVD audio disks are woefully low compared to SACD. Some examples .. The Dark Side of the Moon on SACD is averaging 5546 sales/week in the US. The Police at 3000, and the Stones Let it Bleed at over 1500. By comparison the best selling DVD Audio titles are selling fewer than 200 per week.

The DVD Forum sees a dual sided hybrid disk as do or die for DVD audio. The problem that remains to be solved is getting the dual sided disk within thickness specs for traditional CD players. With over a billion CD players in the world, and the potential for lawsuits should the disks jam or damage the players, they need to make sure they get it right.

josh

----------------

On 11/29/2003 11:33:32 AM fini wrote:

In the meantime, maybe they should offer a redbook version packaged with the dvd-a, for those with cd players in their cars, etc.

fini

----------------

Fini,

That's an interesting solution. I wonder if the increased cost to the producer would cause them to think it would be worth it. The differential in sales is so extreme one might think that desperate measures wouldn't be enough and in time.

Is there any real hope for the DVD audio format? That's not an opinion, just a genuine question.

Let me start out by saying that I don't care which format wins as long as one survives.

There is an intersting article about the history of the politics and technology involved in the format war in the December 2003 issue of The Absolute Sound.

There were fifteen requirements for the replacement of the cd, "including sound quality, multichannel audio, and some form of copy-protection." and "the new disc be backward-compatible with existing CD players."

In a nut shell, Sony and Phillips covered all of these requirements with SACD but politics prevailed with each side wanting to promote their version even though DVD-A was not backwards compatible. Sony/Phillips decided they would market their version (SACD) on their own and DVD-A was forced to the market to compete with with Sony/Phillips for the patents.

Basically, politics of who should own the patents split the camps.

I have a Dennon 2900 dvd player and when I play dvd-A or sacd The sound is okay but when I put in a DTS recorded cd such as Lyle Lovet's "Joshua judges Ruth" it sounds so much better. Am I the only one who thinks this? If you own one cd of each type then do a comparision of each and let me know what you think.

If I may, could some of you who have DVD-A disks answer a few of my stupid DVD-A questions? I only have SACDs, the reason is that SACDs are required to have a 2-channel layer and I can play them exactly like CDs. I listen to classical music and perfer the instruments infront of me and not mixed for multi-channel. I haven't listened to 5.1 SACDs since I don't have a SACD player at home, waiting for more reviews of the Sony XA9000ES. Anyways, I have made the following assumptions about DVD-As and want to know if I'm completely wrong or not. First, DVD-As are not required to have a 2-channel layer, so how do you play a 5.1 encoded disk in stereo? Is it downmixed some way or just impossible? Secondly, you are required to have a monitor hooked up so you can navigate the disk? is this correct?

Thanks for the info...

-Dave