Have you ever been tempted to stray...

jdm56

Oh the shame the shame. She was cute she was patite. I could lift her with one hand. She had a sweet & tender voice. But also a seductive voice. JBL LE8-T. I finally crawled back to my Klipschorns & begged forgiveness.

----------------

On 12/1/2003 11:40:14 AM m00n wrote:

I have, but only in the sub department. I really want to see what all the hub-bub is about with these SVS subs.
4.gif

----------------

Same here, I strayed only in the sub department. I am, after all, running a REL Storm III subwoofer. I am seriously considering gettting an SVS PB2-Ultra. Maybe this summer. We'll see. I just don't have any money now after buying that amp and of course, the holidays.

I have strayed many times but I always come back to the klipsch heritage speakers. For 3 years I owned 1980 cornwalls. I recently sold those and bought a pair of 1979 walnut khorns.

I have tried many many bigger top of the line speakers in my listening room (heco, altec, infinity, carver, ads, polk, paradigm, sansui, bose, advent, apogee etc etc etc) and always come back to the heritage speakers.

I myself must confess to having already strayed once: I sold my '85 Cornwalls in '93 and bought a pair of Amrita Reference Standards - Stereophool had convinced me I needed "accuracy". 14.gif But when I fired up the cornwalls for the guy who bought them, I knew I'd goofed. And I started my five-year journey to a pair of klipschorns at that moment.

But it is mainly this multi-channel thing. That and the fact that k-horns are so room-dependent, yet also so uncompromising. They have to go in the corners, period. Unless of course, you wanna do the "wing thing". Which is not real desirable in a smaller to medium-sized room. They just practically demand a big, GOOD room. I tried to design my music room with them in mind, butI'm afraid it was a case of a little knowledge being a dangerous thing - I did achieve a room with no bad resonant peaks, but I still have these problematic notches to deal with.

k-horns are kinda like a beatifiul, but temperamental woman. They can make you miserable trying to keep them happy, but when everything's right, they'll put you on cloud nine!3.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2003 7:28:19 PM James D McCall wrote:

k-horns are kinda like a beatifiul, but temperamental woman. They can make you miserable trying to keep them happy, but when everything's right, they'll put you on cloud nine!
3.gif
----------------

James,

Well put-and just like a beautiful woman they're great to show off to people.

Jeff

----------------

On 12/2/2003 10:18:40 PM JCturboT wrote:

James,

Well put-and just like a beautiful woman they're great to show off to people.

Jeff

----------------

Ah, true. But it is performance that counts, right? Whether we're talkin' speakers OR women!

I traded the last Klipsches I owned, Cornwalls, for a pair of Altec 605As.

As for these SVS subs; maybe very good but anybody who thinks they're the best without having heard an Edgar, a Contrabass or a LabHorn needs to hear those. Afterall, SVS are mere small direct-radiators.

I experiment with different speakers, but only with fully horn loaded ones. I can't listen to a speaker that isn't a bass horn.

I built a pair of University Classics because someone told me that they were better sounding then the Klipschorn. He was right, but they don't go as low. they begin to drop fast around 55 to 60 Hz. You never heard a bass guitar or drums untill you hear this speaker.

Then I built the Jensen Imperial, because I heard the same thing about this speaker. I don't know if this speaker is better or not, because I have it loaded with all Klipschorn drivers. With the K33E it has a 6dB peak over the Klipschorn from about 45 to 80Hz. The bass in this thing will pound you, but it's not right.

I'm in the process of replacing all the top sections and networks in my klipschorns in the theater room. I like them much better now.

I will eventually use the University Classics fo a two

channel system.

Next I'm going to try to build the Jubilee or the JBL Hartsfield. I have to find out what they sound like.

Tom,

I've read about a sub bass horn that Edgar designed and sells, but if I remember correctly doesn't it only go a little lower, if any at all, then the klipschorn?

Stray? Not from good sound. I have heard the later Klipsch offerings but my heart always goes toward build quality. When I go to listen to new speaks, I like to wobble the speaker or even pick it up. Modern speaker builders thinking they can create or extend bass using thin enclosures are not fooling me.

Regarding subs, if you add the footprint needed for satellite or bookshelf-sized speaker stands PLUS the sub, considering ideal placement, you end up with the same floorspace, if not more. It just LOOKS smaller and the wives like that. And I don't like the little black box in the corner look.

I am also an Altec, JBL and Allison owner. Not because I have a need for manly sized speakers, but because I like their sound. New speakers have to pass the approval of the accounting department.

Q-Man----Yeah, Bruce makes a horn sub called the Seismic, a pal of mine has one with his Edgar Titans. You are correct, if I recall properly (I no longer have my data sheet for the speaker) it doesn't go much lower than a Khorn AS A HORN. However Bruce uses a sub amp that has EQ that gets the bugger down lower, around 25hz or so. Of course down there the speaker is no longer operating as a horn but as an 18" in a sealed box. But in any case it works very well and it's cheap; a knockdown plain plywood version is only $1000, cheap.