do solid state amps need to warm up?

prodj101

well, this is the first winter I've had my Mcintosh MC-2105 here in cold Minnesota weather and I've been wondering about something.... I've noticed a correlation between the temperature outside, and the distortion my amp seems to have at start up. In the first 15 minutes or so, there is a small crackling sound which comes from both channels, and then goes away after the amp has been on for awhile. If you don't know Minnesota weather, it can get down in to the single didgits, and often gets below zero. When I touch the transformers they are icey cold. could this also be a cap problem? Should I just leave it on constantly? thanks.

Do you have your amp setting out in the unheated garage? Assuming you don't, I can't see where it would be a problem. I live about 20 miles N.E. of Brainerd, MN., and and have lived in MN for the last 20+ years. Take a thermometer, set it on your amp, and check what temp it is actually at when you fire it up. Even if it is against an outside, uninsulated wall, I can't see it being less than 60-65 degrees, assuming you have a furnace in your listening room. Metal often feels cool to the touch, even when it's at room temp. I'd look elsewhere for your concern, JMHO.

DJ

I have owned a lot of Mc. The crackling sound is not normal. Take it in to get repaired. I am surprised it is so cold where you are keeping it. You could have a loose ground, solder point,or some other connection that the cold contracts more than in the warmer weather.

Your amp is very simular to the 250's I am using now. They do sound better after a 10-15 min warm up, but should not make any line noise while warming.

For the record McIntosh amps are class B with McIntosh's autoformer technology. Very nice smooth natural sounding SS amps.

JM

This is true for most electronics especially those which need a good control on the output, where a warming up does help.

My understanding of this has been that all circuitry has been designed for the "Normal" temperature range. deviations in temperature do affect the prameters (resistance/impedence etc) and hence this affects the output.

Hence the need for a Warm up...

Prodj101, it isn't normal to have distortion coming out of any McIntosh gear for any reason. Maybe there is a problem with electrical "hash" from heaters, etc., on your electrical outlet and/or service grid, but that probably wouldn't go away with a warm up period (so that probably ain't it, but I thought that I'd bring it up anyway). If it goes away and comes back periodically, then it probably is interference on the local power grid.

My McIntosh gear does sound best late at night when the electrical grid clears up a bit after the masses tend to go to bed, but I can't say that I actually can hear bad stuff before they "warm up". I do not think that my solid state gear requires any real time to "warm up". Tubes, of course, definately require a warm-up period, but I digress...

If you think that the electrical grid may be the problem, an isolation transformer could cure the issue.

DM 9.gif