O/T The Good Old Days

dodger

Hello:

Many times I have heard the wonderful saying.

Even on ABC news last night, one of the news stories was about hoe President Kennedy had to deal with Cuban terrorism, possible invasion of Cuba, problems in the Middle East, etc. Peter Jennings summed up the story (it was about newly relesed tapes of conversations and meetings back then) by saying maybe the good old days were not that good - paraphrased.

Well if we think back to forty (40) years ago, those were the good old days.

For me, I was eleven (11) years old. I didn't have to worry about getting up and going to work, I was healthier, didn't have to worry about what my spouse thought.

We had the "Cold War" but to most of us kids then that was halfway around the world. Most of us still had both Parents, our Mothers or Fathers cooked the meals. We had a different perception of time and length of life.

Our worries were homework, school, having a transister radio, the songs on the radio and our innocent view of life.

Now we know what jobs, bills, spouses or significant others, divorce, war, death, etc. are.

For many of us difference in races, religions, what descent we are were taught. Sometimes by our Parents, teachers, friends and so on.

We had tubes, I can remember a TV shorting out, we had Annette, we had fun and our resposibilities for most of us, were our chores, trying to stay up later, toys - in short we were innocent.

Now we look back to NOS tubes when a good number of us were happy to turn something on instantly. Human beings answered telephones, no pagers, no cell phones - when we were not home call back later.

Then understanding of all life and growing up, getting older, maybe wiser, spouses or S.O.s, perhaps children, bills, fixing the toilet, and responsibility crept in.

We got hit with taxes, planning for retirement, losing friends or lovers and the full understanding of being alone or being fully responsible took over for being afraid of the dark. Politics became important, we changed as the world changed.

You ask where I'm going - back then those were the good old days, there is no tomorrow when you think about it, it is always today. We're supposed to grow up, stop being a baby, or be a man, or be a woman. Ten (10) years from now some of these will be the good old days. And the tubes made now will be NOS and possibly better than what will be made in the future.

And why is it that when men start to lose their hair, ear, nose and eyebrow hairs start growing?

So now we're appreciating all of our youth, courtesy, customer service and regretting what we now know were things we screwed up, but at the time it was the other person. In our race for new, we throw away the old, then we see the old was not so bad.

Remember those old tube stereos and radios that we just threw away? Or the time we took a vacation with our family or went out to eat witout pagers, cell phones, and children that behaved?

Live it now, these are the futures good old days.

And though I've been in flames before, let's at least keep this a board to come to learn something, to share and not be preached to, to discuss and realize that no matter what equation we put forth to prove a point, it all comes down to opinion and taste.

And if we have one ounce of crap in our head that can be called a brain, maybe we can bring some of the good old days courtesy, quality and a longer life span of equipment back by actions, calls to customer service or a change to a brand that works. When the warehouses are full of unsold product, the Company might learn.

Let us dictate and make technology come to us instead of running to new technology. When we're old we can demand remote controls.

Grow up, but never let the child inside be forgotten and not let out.

Win dodger

Win dodger

----------------

On 12/3/2003 10:44:33 AM dodger wrote:

Hello:

Many times I have heard the wonderful saying.

Even on ABC news last night, one of the news stories was about hoe President Kennedy had to deal with Cuban terrorism, possible invasion of Cuba, problems in the Middle East, etc. Peter Jennings summed up the story (it was about newly relesed tapes of conversations and meetings back then) by saying maybe the good old days were not that good - paraphrased.

Well if we think back to forty (40) years ago, those were the good old days.

For me, I was eleven (11) years old. I didn't have to worry about getting up and going to work, I was healthier, didn't have to worry about what my spouse thought.

We had the "Cold War" but to most of us kids then that was halfway around the world. Most of us still had both Parents, our Mothers or Fathers cooked the meals. We had a different perception of time and length of life.

Our worries were homework, school, having a transister radio, the songs on the radio and our innocent view of life.

Now we know what jobs, bills, spouses or significant others, divorce, war, death, etc. are.

For many of us difference in races, religions, what descent we are were taught. Sometimes by our Parents, teachers, friends and so on.

We had tubes, I can remember a TV shorting out, we had Annette, we had fun and our resposibilities for most of us, were our chores, trying to stay up later, toys - in short we were innocent.

Now we look back to NOS tubes when a good number of us were happy to turn something on instantly. Human beings answered telephones, no pagers, no cell phones - when we were not home call back later.

Then understanding of all life and growing up, getting older, maybe wiser, spouses or S.O.s, perhaps children, bills, fixing the toilet, and responsibility crept in.

We got hit with taxes, planning for retirement, losing friends or lovers and the full understanding of being alone or being fully responsible took over for being afraid of the dark. Politics became important, we changed as the world changed.

You ask where I'm going - back then those were the good old days, there is no tomorrow when you think about it, it is always today. We're supposed to grow up, stop being a baby, or be a man, or be a woman. Ten (10) years from now some of these will be the good old days. And the tubes made now will be NOS and possibly better than what will be made in the future.

And why is it that when men start to lose their hair, ear, nose and eyebrow hairs start growing?

So now we're appreciating all of our youth, courtesy, customer service and regretting what we now know were things we screwed up, but at the time it was the other person. In our race for new, we throw away the old, then we see the old was not so bad.

Remember those old tube stereos and radios that we just threw away? Or the time we took a vacation with our family or went out to eat witout pagers, cell phones, and children that behaved?

Live it now, these are the futures good old days.

And though I've been in flames before, let's at least keep this a board to come to learn something, to share and not be preached to, to discuss and realize that no matter what equation we put forth to prove a point, it all comes down to opinion and taste.

And if we have one ounce of crap in our head that can be called a brain, maybe we can bring some of the good old days courtesy, quality and a longer life span of equipment back by actions, calls to customer service or a change to a brand that works. When the warehouses are full of unsold product, the Company might learn.

Let us dictate and make technology come to us instead of running to new technology. When we're old we can demand remote controls.

Grow up, but never let the child inside be forgotten and not let out.

Win dodger

Win dodger

----------------

Hello:

Sorry for tying up space, but I do have an addition for what the good old days can also mean.

We go through our daily lives, sometimes happy, sometimes sad or anxious. As we have these feelings, being able to look back at the good ole' days can be comforting to an extent because we KNOW what happened, maybe not always why.

It helps to remove some fear of the unknown future.

A thought.

Win dodger