OTA HDTV??

Lucky Leeroy

I am looking at getting a simple OTA receiver and a UHF antennae to pull in local DT channels only (mine are all in the yellow zone).

I have found through forum searches the Radio Shack U-75R antennae and the Samsung SIR-T150 receiver as the units that I will compare all others to.

Let me know if you have used either of these or if you have others to add to the list.

Thanx,

LEEROY

I pretty sure I have the U-75R antennae, but it looks to have been replaced by 15-2160. I put it in my attic and aimed it at Mt. Wilson (Los Angeles), 75 (or more) miles away, with a short range or mountains (Santa Rosa plateau) between here and there. Using it with a Channel Master signal amplifier gives me every channel that I am supposed to receive at an acceptable signal level (something line 60-80%, depending on channel). I never tried mounting it outside on the roof. My HDTV receiver is a Zenith 1080, which is more than a year old and no longer made.

I'm pretty sure the Samsung SIR-T150 is no longer available either, as it's about 3-4 years old. It was replaced by the 151, and then the 351. I have the T165, and I think it it great. I bought it because it has Firewire, which I connect to my DVHS, and make High Definition Recordings!!!

If I remember correctly, the U-75R is a UHF only antenna. You may want to make sure that your stations are all UHF. (Im sure you already know this) I have a Winegard PR-8800 because I live in a more rural area. Winegard makes great antennas. Of the three RS I tried, I was really happy with them, they just didnt fit in the attic well. I would stay with RS or Winegard. I tried a Magnavox antenna it was terrible compared to the comparable RS model.

I also use the Zenith HDV420. I am very happy with it and it does seem to hold stations a little better than myHD cards.

Must be nice to be in the yellow and not the Blue and Purple!

I currently use the 75xr antenna and for me it works great. I have the Mitsu WS55859 and the integrated HD tuner picks up all my local stations. I live about 35 miles away from my local stations. I installed the antenna in my attic, went to antennaweb.org and pointed the antenna to what they suggested and all the channels came in with no problems. I started out with the Silver Sensor and only picked up 3 of them. I then went with the RS antenna.

----------------

On 12/19/2003 2:06:35 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

here is a site that will help u determine the antenna needed

----------------

I just checked that site out since I was curious as to just what is available. I already have this friggan HUGE roof-mounted antenna on my house (hooked up with a Channel-Master signal amplifier), which was left-over from the previous owner. I can pick up Baltimore channels with that thing with pretty good clarity. There seems to be quite a few channels that are available or will be by the end of winter offering HDTV. It is just about getting time for me to consider a TV upgrade. The only downside is that the guy did not mount the antennea with a roter system, thus it is fixed pointing north towards D.C. and Balitmore. Would have been nice to be able to turn it around and get the Richmond stations also.

Here all that I could get with my antenna 9.gif, and that does not even count the ones I can get from Baltimore.

Digital:

WFDC-DT 15 TFA Arlington VA Mar 1 2004 39°

WRIC-DT 22 ABC Petersburg VA Now Live 195°

WETA-DT 27 PBS Washington DC Now Live 38°

WNVT-DT 30 IND Goldvein VA FCC Extension 22°

WHUT-DT 33 PBS Washington DC Under Review 38°

WUSA-DT 34 CBS Washington DC Now Live 38°

WDCA-DT 35 UPN Washington DC Now Live 38°

WTTG-DT 36 FOX Washington DC Now Live 38°

WJLA-DT 39 ABC Washington DC Now Live 38°

WPXW-DT 43 PAX Manassas VA Now Live 28°

WRC-DT 48 NBC Washington DC Now Live 39°