Sorce >> reciever >> reciever(s) >> speakers

DwK

Lets say I wanted to get 1 of these or something close for each speaker.

Then get one of these .

Have lets say the DVD player hooked into the MC7106, and each channel go out to one of the mc1000's. And the Speakers hooked into the mc1000's.

This brings up quite a few questions, that I have realy been wondering lately.

1.) does the amplification multiply? If the 1st amp is putting out 50 watts, does the 2nd amp multiply that number by how much its amplifying it? How does that work?

Approx how many watts would the Speakers be getting if each amp was turned all the way up.

2.) Would you loose quality?

3.) Is this similar to Bi Amping?

4.) Is that over kill?

The first one is prety important, I realy kinda need to know that.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 ( soon to be 4.1 )

2 Fisher STV-873's on front channel

2 Fisher surrounds on rear channel

from the little I know, this would not be feasible.

correct me if i'm wrong, but an amplifier can only take line level input, right? meaning very weak...

an amp can't just take an amplified signal and then amplify it even more. this would anyways definitely be overkill, depending which speakers you'd use it with of course.

lastly, this is not bi amping. bi amping means you hook up one amp to the bass section of your speaker, and another to the higher frequency section, using the two pairs of connectors in the back of the speaker.

Dwk,

What you are trying to do is impossible!! You gonna blow some fuses.

What seb stated is correct. An amplifier can have only line level input provided by a pre-amplifier that controles the line level. The amplifiers you mention will amplify the input by a fixed amplification.

So you can connect each speaker to separete MC1000's or just one MC7106.

Bi-Amping is when you biwire your speakers and connect the highs to one amplifier and the lows to another amplifier. So you can by two MC7106's and connect all the highs to one MC7106 and the lows to the other.

Or two MC1000's per speaker.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

Aha. I get it now

But here is where I get confused

I have a set of Klipsch Pro Medias.

I use a Yconnector and hook both the Front and Rear channels into the Headphone jack on my Boom Box.

Now the Boom Box ampliflys that signal for the Headphones, but then the Pro Medias amplify it to

When I turn it up on the boom box it gets louder, when I turn it up on the Pro's it gets louder.

So what is it doing? how does that work?

I realy DONT get the amplification process. Someone please explain

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 ( soon to be 4.1 )

2 Fisher STV-873's on front channel

2 Fisher surrounds on rear channel

DwK,

In this connection you have 2 line level controllers (pre-amplifiers).

One that controls the headphone output(your boom box??). This headphone output goes to the line level controller(pre-amplifier) of the promedia's.

In eather way, which one you use to control the volume the result is the same.

------------------

-------------------------

Receiver: Onkyo 676

DVD: Pioneer DV-525

Screen: Thomson 46" RetroProjection

Front: RF-3's

Rear: RF-3's

Center: RC-3

ok.

I think I understand.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

ok.

I think I understand.

thank you.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

The real answer is a bit complicated but I'll give it a go.

Amplifiers do multiply in strings. Each may have a voltage gain of 10, stringing two together will give a gain of 100. But that is really not what you are talking about, and when amplifiers are strung together in gain stages, there are special considerations.

In most of OUR applications: If you have a CD player, it has a line level output. This at max is about 1 volt when the program is loud. The output circuit is designed in a certain way and it doesn't supply much current. So there is little power output of the RCA jack on the back under any condition. But not to worry, voltage alone is the analog of the music, at this point.

The "pre-amp" stand alone component usually does not supply very much "gain" in a strict sense. For the most part, its function is to switch between input (CD, VCR, DVD) and allow the user to mostly turn down the voltage gain. (This is why you hear of people using "passive" pre-amps, which are just attenuators; the CD output is enough voltage, often, to drive the power amp input.)

The output of the stand alone pre-amplifier is also "line level" of about 1 volt max. You usually turn this down to something less.

Now, could you drive a loud speaker with 1 volt? Yes. But an 8 ohm speaker would require 1/8 amp. A pre-amplifier line level output can not deliver that level of current. Now, here, we have to talk about power or energy.

What to do? Well, you need a power amp. It is designed to provide voltage gain (in case you want more than one volt) and will provide enough current to drive a speaker.

In an 8 ohm speaker, if you apply 1 volt and the power amp can keep up the current drawn, there is 1/8 amp of current. In a very general sense, if you want to deliver 1 watt to an 8 ohm speaker, you must put in 2.83 volts. This assumes the amp will deliver 1/2.83 amps. That is the type of current available from a power amp.

There is something to consider. Your boom box headphone out may well be simply a direct connection to it's own power amp. Headphones don't draw much current because they have a high impedance, probably around 200 ohms (some guess work). The current is 1/200th (in amps) of the applied voltage and not much power. You don't get blasted.

However, turning up the volume of the control on the boom box does increase the voltage to the headphone out.

Not much power is delivered to the Pro-Medias because it has a line level input which has a high impedance of say 5,000 ohms (wild guess). It takes 1/5000 of an amp if there is a 1 volt input. This is the same as most pre-amp inputs, high impedance. Very little power in a strict sense.

Then, the Pro Media's has its own pre-amp and power amp to drive the speakers. But on these amps I don't know details.

Gil

This message has been edited by William F. Gil McDermott on 06-11-2001 at 12:18 AM

Very interesting

Its starting to come together thank you.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds