HT update No. 3

Tom Adams

Well...this past weekend I did a temporary hook-up of most of my HT gear. My speaker collection is complete and all we need now is the projector and screen. Christmas and the new house have combined to suck the funds a bit dry, so the projector will have to wait until after the first of the year. So, for now, the 46" Mistsu widescreen will have to fill in.

With not much tweaking of the audio, I'm very impressed with how things sound in my room. A walk around while there were heavy bass passages playing turned up little in the way of bass build-up in the room - even in the rear corners. I'm hoping that I'll be able to get away with very little in the way of room acoustic treatments. Here are a couple of shots looking forward.

Img_0179.jpg

Img_0180.jpg

And here's a shot towards the back of the room showing the surrounds on some stands I bought from Stereocilia.

Img_0182.jpg

And here's a close up of the speaker stand from Stereocilia. I'm very impressed with this stand. It's 48 inches tall, covered in a close nap carpet, has provisions for speaker spikes, and can be mass loaded. I don't believe you could make these for much less than what they cost. I'd give them a 9 outta 10.

Img_0181.jpg

Tom

Fantastic setup.... A few helpful suggestions.

Try the Heresy upside down on top of your TV. (Maybe even a small cloth under the back edge, to tilt it perfectly to your seats. It should not, upside down, cause any picture problems. If so, get "bucking" magnets if needed.)

If your using the Cornwalls for music, the toe in is ok, if this is basically for HT you may not need too. The key is to have the front three speakers fronts at the same place, like a line is imaginarilly drawn on the front. This will help create a HUGE soundfield. Also you might try the backs not toed in as well. Again the thought is to make the room seem even larger and toeing them in may not be necessary.

I also might suggest a sub at a later time. The new rw 12" at a min, a RSW 15 if you can splurge...

This looks like a fantastic room, get some "black out" blinds too. Congrats!!

All these tend to become personal choice issues too. So take any suggestion I may have, or anyone else on the board may have also. Also feel free to throw out the ones that do not work for you. Good Luck!

Thanks guys for the comments/suggestions. Like I said, what you see is a temporary setup so the wife & I can use the room to watch movies & concerts. I've played some more with the front speakers, moved my KSW15 into the setup, and re-calibrated the speaker levels. We watched Finding Nemo last night and it was a drastic change from having watched it on the 32" Toshiba in the famliy room.

Eventually that big window will be covered in such a manner that light does not come into the room. Then, that entire wall will be covered with drapery. And finally, a fixed projection screen will attached to the wall.

The long term game plan is to replace the KSW15 with a SVS PB2-Plus and replace the aging Denon 3300 with a pre/pro and separate amp (I'm leaning towards Outlaw Audio). And who knows...we might even spring for a popcorn machine. 9.gif

Of course, I still need to build a riser for the couch and finish wiring up the equipment rack and frame some posters and install an infared repeater and....sheesh - sometimes I wonder if it will ever be finished. 8.gif

Right now I'm praying that Santa will bring me a Boxlight 20HD projector for Christmas. Shoot - I'd settle for a Sanyo PLV-Z2! 1.gif

Tom

Tom,

did the Heresy work out OK right in front of the 46" Mits with out any problems? I know they are not shielded.

I have a 65" Mits and tried a Heresy in front and it caused problems as expected from a non-shielded speaker does.

I have Heresy's from 1978. what year is the one you are using?

Mark

mbajner - the Heresy I'm using is a HII. Not really sure what year model it is (fini...you know??). I haven't seen any ill effects using it in front like I am. One thing to note is that unlike your Mitsu, mine is on an A/V base therefore putting the projector guns about even with the top of the speaker. I would place the Heresy on it's side on top of my Mitsu (as I did previously in my other house) if it weren't for the Denon and DVD player being on top - i.e. I'm too damn lazy to move the Denon and DVD player into the A/V base where they belong. 6.gif

And FWIW - when I did have the Heresy on top of my Mitsu, I didn't have any ill effects from the speaker on the guns.

Tom

Hey Bryan - Good question and one that is very important to me.

I had two choices for locating the Heresy's - mount them to the wall by either using some kinda omnimount thing or a bracket or a shelf. This would be the most secure method, but would pretty much remove any flexibility of moving the speakers. The other choice was to use stands which would allow speaker placement flexibility, but would possibly present a risk of something falling over. Obviously I took the risk and went with the latter.

However, I feel I can mitigate the risk with these stands because they have a fairly decent size base plate, the top plate (not shown in the photo) is almost the same size as the Heresy's footprint, and the column can be mass loaded with sand or kitty litter. As you see them in the photo, I did a simple push test to see how susceptible they were to tipping over. And they took a decent whack without toppling. Having said that, once I've finalized their location, I'm toying with the idea of securing the Heresy to the wall with some inconspicuous means. Ounce of prevention you know. 1.gif

Tom

Tom

Very nice looking room.

The only thing I would add that has not been mentioned yet is it would be nice to find some way to hide your power and speaker wires. With your white base boards it would be easy to find some type of tray or conduit to hide the wires and dress up the room a bit more.

Bet that room sounds great.

Enjoy!!

JM