what do you think of Outlaw Audio?

scrambler400

----------------

On 12/15/2003 11:54:59 AM scrambler400 wrote:

has anyone here heard outlaw audio products? What do you guys think? They get some of the best reviews I have seen on sites such as audioreview.com and it seems their service is unbeatable. Also looks like a lot of bang-for-your-buck. Thoughts?

----------------

Here are couple of pretty good reviews of some Outlaw Audio products:

770 Seven-Channel/200 watt power amp

200 monoblock power amp

7100 seven-channel/100 watt power amp

Unfortunaly, no review of thier reciever or pre-amp/processor unit, both of which I have heard many good things about.

I own an Outlaw 950, and I previously owned an Outlaw 1050. Both are great products. Many, many positive reviews--the 950 pre/pro was just named "2004 budget product of the year" by Stereophile Guide to Home Theatre. They just announced a Hsu-designed sub (don't tell EARS). Also, a terrific forum. See outlawaudio.com.

Thanks for the replys guys. Seems like everyone here feels the same way most people who reviewed the products do. I am VERY satisfyed with the Klipsch products I currently have, but know in the future I will look to get reference gear. However, at this point it is VERY clear to me that my weakness is in my electronics. I would like to purchase gear that isn't going to go out of date the next time new models come out, and it seems like separates is the way to go. Being that Outlaw is the only company I have found with a 7-channel amp/pre combo within by budget(about 2k) I'll probably audition there stuff in spring sometime.

Thanks

Joe

Damon.. nice article. I'd have to agree with you 100%. If money were no object... :)

I am looking into this area. I currently own a Kenwood something or other 120w reciever. It's not Dolby Digital or any of that, kind of becoming a relic. If I get an amp can I use the reciver as a Pre? Man, those B&K amps are sweet! Its the price that leaves me sour LOL. But if I kept the reciever as a Pre, I still will not have DD DTS etc.. HMM SO,, what would you suggest? I really would like more than 100wpc hoping to stay around 2K.

Joe Schmoe: My guess is that your receiver does not have the RCA have preamp outputs that you would need in order to use the receiver as a pre/pro. If it does, then that is certainly the least painful upgrade path, you can just get an amp and get a preamp/processor as soon as your wallet allows. That's the route I took with the HK receiver my Outlaw replaced.

Thanks for all the replys. Yes my receiver does have RCA pre-outs for 6.1, so that wouldn't be a problem if I simply waited to upgrade this receiver. I wish the outlaw 7100 had a removable power cable(this is a very stupid trivial thing, but just like some people expect their amps to be shiny to impress tone def friends: well I want removable power cable HAHA)

The new line of Yamaha receivers somewhat cought my eye as well rx-v2400 and 1400. Cause I could go the opposite direction and upgrade to that for a while then when I get enough money for an amp switch the Yami into pure pre/proc detail. I am interested in checking out DD-PL IIx. after typing this it sounds like a worse idea than when it was in my head =) but an idea none the less.

Thirdly, I want to try and get to a marantz dealer sometime and check their new line out. supposed to be a huge improvement over past lines. Although they don't draw you in with their dapper good looks like the Outlaws do.(WARNING! This comment is dangerously high in sarcasm)

Thanks again guys, I think I am becoming a convert from the Parts Express and Madisound message boards(darn DIY sucked me in for a year or two)

• 1 month later...

I presently own the Outlaw 950 pre-amp and the Outlaw 7100 amp. Lots of BANG for the buck. Previously used a Denon 3801 integrated receiver. I can tweak the Outlaw more (you can select cross-overs for 3 groups of speakers: front, center, and surrounds), the Outlaw 950 offers more complete surround processing, and the amp really plays clean.

Present system:

sf-1 fronts

sc-1

ss-1 2 pair

1 ksw-12

Outlaw 950 preamp

Outlaw 7100 amp

Toshiba 42 inch hdtv

panasonic dvd rp82

pioneer cd recorder

dish tv satelitte receiver

I have the 1050, sounds very nice to me, and will get plenty loud. I had my first one go bad, maybe my fault;), but Outlaw agreed to replace it during my first tech call. Wouldn't stay on, maybe blown fuse inside. They shipped a new one out to me, and had me mail the old one back to them, their cost. I also sent a tech question via their web site, someone replied within minutes. 1050 is now discontinued, new reciever is due late spring or so. I just might buy their sub, waiting on funds and the possible small cubes from SVS.