recommendations on settings for mains on receiver small or large?

batibot

Have you tried using the SEARCH function yet? This topic has been discussed many many times before. That being said, I would suggest running the at least the front three speaker as "large". If you don't encounter any problems when watching movies then stick with that setting. If you have to go to small then the signal will ungo some processing that tends to degrade sound quality.

I run my rf3II's and the rc3II as large. They are plenty capable of playing low frequencies. Now if your room is really big, you sit a good distance from your speakers, have a really capable subwoofer, and like it really LOUD, then you may benefit from running them as small and routing all the bass to the subwoofer. There certainly can't be any harm in trying them both ways, to see what sounds best and works for you.

I think that if you are going to cut the bass from the mains at 80 hz anyways, maybe you could have bought the reference bookshelves and saved a few bucks. Or even purchased 3 center channels and use them as the front l/c/r instead.

----------------

On 12/16/2003 4:34:52 PM STL wrote:

Have you tried using the SEARCH function yet? This topic has been discussed many many times before. ----------------

Why do you have to be such an a@@hole? He is asking about the settings for his particular equipment.

I would set your speakers at Large. Unfortunately, you don't have a lot of X-Over settings with the Denon 1604.

This is a topic that is always hotly debated. It's like asking "Do cables make a difference?"

I didn't think I was. You will always get a people arguing both sides on Small vs. Large, Cheap vs. Expensive Cables, Line Conditioner vs. No Line Conditioner, Dolby vs. dts. But telling someone to use the search function when he is just asking for help, is like saying "Quit wasting my time," something an A-Hole would say.

Nor did I think I was being an a-hole so I take offense at your claim! Now if I told him to use the search and I didn't even bother to offer some help then that would be considered being an a-hole -- but that is NOT what I did. I simply suggested the search function because there are many old threads that discuss the same thing he is asking. Why shouldn't I suggest a way to find a lot of answers quickly (instead of waiting on answers a new thread)? Many people, especially newbies, don't think to use the function so my suggestion was meant to be helpful.

I switch between large and small depending on the source. For music (both 2 channel and DVD-Audio), I set my fronts (Klipsch RB-25's) to large and everything else to small. Even though the RB-25's don't put out a lot of bass, there's still a nice transient punch to bass notes, and my Denon 1802 receiver still sends signal to my sub, even when set to 'normal' (as opposed to '+ mains'). For movies, I set everything to small, because there's generally a lot more going on in movie mixes, and this allows the speakers to keep things nice and defined, while the sub takes care of the really low stuff. As many have mentioned, this frees up the amplifier to handle more of the mid-bass and up, as lower frequencies work your amp harder. Also, most receivers have a set crossover at 80Hz, so anything lower will be sent to the sub when using the 'small' setting. 80Hz is still pretty low when you think about it, so you're still getting some fullness out of your mains when set to small.

RF3II has a nominal roll-off of 37 Hz (lower than I thought). RC-35 is 56 Hz.

Definitely set the center to small. Wisdom is that you want the crossover at an octave above the roll-off frequency which would be 56*2 = 112 Hz (round higher to say, 120 Hz).

There's a good argument (mentioned above) for setting even speakers capable of low frequencies to small if you have an adjustable crossover. Keeps the amp from trying to reproduce notes that the speaker isn't capable of. With the smaller HT amps now this can be a concern. So it's not unreasonable to set the RF3s to small with a 40 Hz crossover and still get full use from them.

If your crossover is fixed at 80 (or whatever) go by ear.