Yamaha and Klipsch

slb

I've been looking for an old Yamaha 250 W/channel in my city for awhile now. I just love the way choral or voice sounds with my Chorus II's being pushed with a Natural Sound amp. I bought what is in my opinion a better overall sounding amp but I would still like to own a Yamaha, just to play with occasionally. It'll make the hair stand up on the back of your neck when playing female vocal.

john4618,

It is strange that the digital connection would only affect the center channel but if it worked for you then that is good.

I would lower all center frequencies from 1khz and higher.

I have the same mains, center and surrounds as you. I originally had the RC35 and thought is sounded muffled as opposed to harsh as you described. I traded tor the RC7 and it is excellent to me.

Where I work everyone including management and staff has to take a hearing test yearly and I have the printout to prove that I am deft in one ear and cant hear squat with the other. But

When I upgraded my system last month I looked at the Yamaha, Kenwood, Denon, and etc. The Yamaha was way too bright; in fact it startled me when the salesman switched to the high-end Yamaha while I was doing the comparison. The sound of the Pioneer was the most neutral to me I repeat, to me.

To some the Pioneer probably sounds flat and Yamaha sounds Live. Its your money!

I have had Yamaha amps for years (currently have an RV1105)and Klipsch speakers for only 8 weeks. I think the combo is terrific and will receive my new Yamaha RX-V2400 on Christmas day. It's on Santa's sleigh(UPS). I thoroughly researched and demoed the competition, such as, Denon, Pioner Elite, Onkyo, Sony ES, and others and went with the Yamaha due to stellar reviews at this price point ($689) and past satisfaction with the features, performance and the product in general.

There are a lot of good options out there. You need to get out, give them a listen, compare the features and go with what sounds best to you and offers the right feature set for your needs. IMO, the Yamahas deserve a listen.

This topic seems contraversial. I think there can be many factors at play. First of all,not all Klipsch speakers sound alike. For years I had a two channel stereo setup using KG 5.2s powered by a stereo Yammi receiver. The combination sounded great. Then I upgraded to a 3 series Reference surround system. For a brief while (about a week) I was short of funds and and only was able to power the towers with the 2 channel Yammi. Initially, I was dissapointed in the RFs,the sound was severe by comparison to the KGs. Then my dealer, who sells both Denon and Yamaha as well as Klipsch speakers "loaned" me a Denon 3801 receiver. The difference in the overall sound in terms of warmth, sweetness and tonal balance was remarkable. I bought that Denon.

Secondly, the physiology of hearing is complex. Everyones high frequency hearing is a bit different, depending on how much abuse we have subjected our ears to. Age has a lot to do with this, as well as extended exposure to noise on a daily basis.

All is IMHO

I am a Denon fan and have owned or listened to both over the years. The Yammie's are brighter and seem to really expose poorly recorded high freqs. My current 3802 does sound better with my heresys for music than the 1980 Yammie (cat's meow of its day) and better than my HK740 (although the 740 came in the door at a much nicer price and blows the doors off in Price/Performance).

Much to the disdain of the purist here - I like my SS. Having said that I am working on my first (in a long time) tube set up and know I won't be disappointed there either.

To be clear - I think Yamaha and Denon mid level recievers/amps are an excellent match for high efficiency speakers and you just need to pick your preference, since there is a discernable difference in the sound.

----------------

I do have a question about the equalizer: I can change 7 different settings which include 63Hz, 160Hz, 400Hz, 1k Hz, 2.5k Hz, 6.3k Hz, 16k Hz what I dont know is which ones should I change that will mainly affect the dialog/speech in a movie ??? I was going to do a +2db on these settings and then tweak it from there to suit my ears.

----------------

I saw that you mentioned adding +2 to each bandwidth and just had to pop in and describe the EQ'ing process...you don't want to add +2 to everything as it will degrade the sound.

speech is generally between 80Hz (lower male voice) and 10kHz (makes the "S" sound as in Snake).

Brightness or forwardness of sound generally occurs in the 1kHz-3kHz region...these are the frequencies to which our ears are most responsive.

160Hz and 400Hz helps with muddiness and boxiness. 16kHz helps with the air of the sound.

When EQ'ing, you want to know how each frequency will affect the sound and this comes from a lot of practice. However, you can find out for yourself by way over tweaking each band...set all your levels to 0. starting at the lowest band (in your case, 63Hz), increase the volume until you hear an extreme audible difference (you will prob add between 6 and 10). slowly lower the level until you get to around -6 or -10. if you listen carefully enough, you will get a good idea of what changes can be made. do the same for each freq. band (make sure you set the previous band back to 0 before going on to the next one).

now that you have a feeling for the changes you can make, you'll want to sit down and listen for a while and try to openly listen for one of the frequency bands you just learned. the trick here is forethought; hear a problem and then turn the right knob to fix it. You never want to twist knobs and play with an equalizer until it sounds good because the next time you sit down to listen, it'll sound very bad. When EQ'ing, it's generally better to subtract than to add, but that's a very loose rule.

Well that's EQ'ing in a nutshell...

and back to the thread, it's my honest opinion that yamaha is very bright and denon is the best i've heard so far.

Just wanted to mention that I received my RX-V2400 and have been playing with it for about a week. I am not disappointed with deciding on Yamaha for the third time in a row. Now I get to re experience all of my favorite movies over again. I am amazed at how much better this receiver sounds than my 1105. Even the wife admits it sounds better. Now that is a real indication of an exponential improvement of some kind.

3.gif

Recently I have gone through two RX-V3300's that malfunctioned for different reasons. I was just about tired of this and strongly considered switching to the Denon 4802. My local dealer had a RX-V2400 in stock and was trying to get me to take that on trade. I expressed my concern about "stepping down". She called Yamaha and they did say the sound quality between the 2400 and the 3300 was considerable and I would not be happy. I then got one whale of a deal on a RX-Z1 and traded up.

I have personally used Denon, Onkyo, and Yamaha gear. I find the "bright" Yamaha much better to my ears than the other products. I equate Bright=Detail.

I do not stick with one product as I like the Denon 2900 more than the Yamaha universal player.

----------------

On 12/30/2003 3:42:46 PM PhilMays wrote:

She called Yamaha and they did say the sound quality between the 2400 and the 3300 was considerable and I would not be happy.

----------------

Somebody at Yamaha told you that? I would not go so far as to say that somebody with a 3300 would not be happy with a 2400 or even that a 2400 is really a big downgrade. But anyhow ...sounds like you got a bargain on the Z1, congrats. :-)

My 3300 is still going strong and I love it but I also know that I would be happy with a 2400 or even an RX-V640 because I have tried them both and love the sound out of every Yamaha. Unlike some manufacturers , Yamaha does not go cheap on the guts of their lower end units.

Here is a recent review of an RX-V640/(aka HTR-5660 @ Best Buy)

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_4/yamaha-rx-v640-receiver-12-2003-part-1.html

Quotes from the review:

"This little receiver is a tremendous value. Brian found that the sound does not have the brightness we are used to from Yamaha, while offering power that belies its little frame. "

"Using the S/PDIF input and the pre-outs we found a respectable 0.01% THD+N. The RX-V640 would make an excellent processor to be used with an outboard multi-channel amp. You can also see how clean the upper spectrum is with only a slight first and second harmonic making any noticeable impact. There are some excellent electronics under the cover of this unit."

I purchased an RX-V640 before I bought my RX-V3300 and I would have kept it had I not accidentally ran into the good deal on my 3300.

I was driving a more difficult load than my Klipsch speakers at the time and the 640 was plenty powerful enough and it sounded sweet!!!!

Considering the 640 can be had for less than $350 online or less than $499 most everywhere its a bargain...IMO of course.

PistolPete,

Yamaha said the amp section in the 3300 is much more substantial than in the 2400. The 2400 has more modern processing. A 3400 unit is in the works but a ways away. In weight alone the 3300 weighs more than 30% more than the 2400.

Weight is not always a great indicator except when camparing same brands. As a matter of fact the 3300 is closer to the Z1 than the 2400.

PistolPete,

You know I really can't tell a huge difference. It has a few more bells and whistles, but overall I think my 3300 sounded as good. The biggest "bell" is the better processing, rear EQ, and other EQ functions.

The only reason I have it is because my dealor gave me full credit on my 3300 and heavily discounted the difference.

The best thing I like about it is the cool remote...and most people don't like it.

Overall I'm glad I have it but I wouldn't be a bit dissapointed with the 3300.

I want to see the new Z9!!!