20 years of Google history... Some interesting stuff

m00n

I am actually getting emotional reading that stuff.

I mean, first, thats some VERY old stuff, over 20 years. It is from day one of computers and the internet. My parents were involved in computers from day one (as in, before Microsoft and all) and computers have been a absolute, major, driving force in my life. As of now, I am one of the first people to have grown up around and using computers. We were not one of the families that went to Egghead in 1994 to buy a new Pentium system, we came WAY before that.

I hope that ends up in a museum!

That's very cool. I got involved in what would become PC's (8-bit 2MHz Z-80 machines from Heathkit running H-DOS and later CP/M with 8 or 16 k (not Meg) of RAM) when I started grad school in 1980. Back in them days, you made your own cables and wrote your own patches when you wanted to send an escape sequence to your Epson MX-80 printer to make it print BOLD.

I understood computers then.

Don't have a clue now. I guess that's progress.

Going in and reading some of those posts was refreshing. All the ones I read there was one ingredient missing. FLAME. Everyone seemed respectful of each other. A lack of juvenile behavior. I will be the first to admit I have participated in some of this juvenile behavior myself. 4.gif

----------------

On 12/18/2003 11:30:40 PM m00n wrote:

----------------

Oh boy, talk about a trip down memory lane!

I loved that first review of the IBM Personal Computer. My parents got one of those in late 1983 and I thought that was the coolest thing out there (next to the C-64). The mighty 8088 processor w/ 640K of RAM, Dual 360K floppies, Color Graphics and monitor and an Epson 9-pin dot-matrix printer - for the grand total of $5,000!

I also love the following in the post with the first mention of Star Wars Episode 6, "Return of the Jedi":

"I wish Lucas & Co. would get the thing going a little faster.

I can't really imagine waiting until 1997 to see all nine parts

of the Star Wars series."

To bad that in reality, it will take until 2005 to see only the first 6 parts. I don't even think he has plans to do the last 3 parts (the ones that are supposed to follow "The Return of the Jedi".

Ah yes, I remember my first computer. About 1983 I think. Apple IIe with an astounding 128K of RAM, TWO 5.25" floppies, and, get this, 80 column text card for my green monochrome monitor. Stacked baby!

Used to be pretty damn good programming in Apple Basic. :P Had an idea of becoming a computer science major, but at that point the intro courses required knowledge of calculus (initial problem solving programs were calculus problems). That ended that little adventure quickly.