Academy is good for

firefighter

I was given advice to use an Academy for center with Heresy II's given it's price I'll have to save and wait, but that's ok, however I will one day want bigger speakers for the front's, is the Academy also a good center for Cornwalls, Lasacalas, Bells, or Khorns. I will stay Heritage and I want to by a center speaker only once but didn't want to limit my options for fronts later.

Thanks,

Jack.

Jack,

Yes it is excellent for all those speakers, and as you have discovered Very expensive and hard to find.............If you have room, why not just get another Heresy for the center? Same thing with the other speakers you have talked about..........usually eaiser and cheaper............good luck with the search .

try also www.auctionsniper.com

Jack,

One thing about the Academy, it is NOT a heritage speaker!

There seems to be a bit of confusion about this at times but the clear fact is that its not one of the Heritage line, neither is the Forte (I & II), Quartet or Chorus (I & II).

I have an Academy that I've used as a center for my Klipschorns and it was a OK but it was not that close of a sonic match now that I have a Belle to compare it to.

We can have others weigh in on this but the Heritage line consisted of the Klipschorn, Belle, La Scala, Cornwall, Heresey, Shorthorn and Rebel.

I am in somewhat of a similar quandry. I ran across a pair of Quartets and used them for TV and CD listening.

I want to eventually get to full 5.1 or 6.1 sound. Instead of buying a speaker purportedly designed to be a center, I bought another pair of Quartets on e-Bay to use as a center or surrounds.

The present thinking is that I'll eventually find some Chorus II for flanking units, use a Quartet as a center, and then use the others as surrounds.

Gil

I prefer the KLF-C7 over the Academy. They both will sound small and lame with LaSaclas, Belle , and Klipschorns. Eather one will do with Cornwalls or Heresys. Don't worry about buying once, when you buy used you can sell them for what you paid for them when your ready to move up.

Hi Jack

I too must put in a vote to NOT use the Academy for the big Heritage line. In my search to create a Heritage HT, I even tried a single Heresy and was not happy with it in between my Khorns and that is still better than a Academy IMO. You got to remember that the Big Heritage just have a very BIG sound.

The second reason I would say NO is the price of the Academy. Let the people who are using Fortes and Quartets fight over them on Ebay and use your money to get a speaker that better matches your mains.

If you plan to use the BIG Heritage or Big Extended Heritage family of speakers try to find a third of the same speaker if possible.

FWIW, the extended Heritage line has the Heritage sound and works well with Heritage especially in the HT. Who cares if it is PURE Heritage or NOT.

Also if you are handy, you could do like most of us and build your own large Heritage center and still be cheaper than an EBAY Academy.

JM

I would second JM's response. If you are planning on forking out 500-600 for an acadamy then do like some of us here have done and build your own. Do some homework and ask us lots of Q's. Then get out the tools and have some fun building your own.

If you not handy or don't feel comfortable building one then find a heresy or la sacala for your center. Otherwise you won't be totally happy with trying to timbre match the sound of your mains.

post-8797-13819250779018_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all replies, I do feel comfortable building my own center and would have a blast doing so, I enjoy wood work and have all the wood working tools that I need. The problem is, I don't know squat about speakers, I would need to know what horns, crossovers, box dimensions, where to get the stuff, ect. I will eventually get the larger heritage speakers but would like a slim line cabinet even if it's a little longer than standard. So in short if you don't mind telling me what to put in the box and where to get it or what to look for, I am more than willing to build it.

Jack.

Jack

The two custome centers off the top of my head that were discussed here in good detail were Scooterdogs and Hwatkins. Do some searches from the last year and you will find a lot of info to get your started.

At the moment getting your hands on another Heresy 2 would be the easiest way to get your center. Don't forget that a HT with Heresys for all 5 or 7 channels sound really great and are versitile enough to be used in any small or large room.

Also, if you go custom, Trey C and Steve P at Klipsch has been very helpfull sharing information about Klipsch speakers that are NO LONGER in production. Lots of knowledge and helpfull people here in the forum also.

JM

• 2 months later...