Contest - Most Over the Top Ridiculous Audio Claim

Ray Garrison

Several months ago I visited a shop that specialized in room treatments. One of the products was wooden panels that could be wall mounted or or used on stands in the room. One claim was that the lacquor coating contributed to improving souund. The salesman gave me some free tips. One was to loosen each screw on the light switch and electrical receptical cover by one or two turns. I stopped by the liquor store, got a bottle and went home to try this. After consuming a bottle of Jack I actually noticed that the sound became somewhat muted.

I have an interesting little device.

Let's call it a traffic circle. Just like those circular intersections you see every now and then.

It looks like a piece of gold-toned flat wire (I assume it is a brass alloy), about 0.060" wide by maybe 0.010" thick. It reminds me of the Mercedes three-cornered star.

Looking down from the top you see the wire bend from where it comes in at 12:00 and it goes out at 4:00, then it bends back in and goes out again at 8:00, then it bends in again and goes out at 12:00, now having made a complete circle.

The whole thing measures a dead short, it is one piece of flat wire.

You can solder the flat wire tabs to a PC board, or put jacks on them.

Now comes the fun part: Feed a signal in at 12:00, it comes out the 4:00 tab. Feed a signal in at 4:00, it comes out the 8:00 tab. Feed a signal in at 8:00, it comes out the 12:00 tab.

You would think that since there is a dead short from 12:00 to 8:00 that there would be signal there too, there is: but the signal at 4:00 has the same power as the 12:00 signal and the signal at 8:00 is 100~1,000 times less power.

The thing is about the size of a quarter, and costs $300 each in large quantity.

I spend over $1,000,000 every year buying these things.

There are no moving parts.

If you drop it on the floor it quits working.

What is it?

(besides being a directional piece of wire)

PS:

For you cryogenic fans, the cryogenic models offer directionality up to 10,000:1 between two jacks less than 1" apart that measure a dead short.

Don't ask what they cost.