Buying from Canada, a Question?

Johnny dB

They came with an extra set of RCAs. So I tried them in it today. I have Telefunken 12ax7 so I was just curious. I listened to the stock tubes for a couple of days first. I haven't noticed a considerable difference from the RCAs to the ASL tubes. (Are JJs made in China?) He also through in a set of Svetlanas for the EL-34. I'll give it a couple of days and try those next.

The JJ's are made in what was Jugoslavia at what was the Tesla factory. They are among the best in current production and are arguably equal to any ever made.

The stock EL34 ( AKA 6CA7 ) although branded as Antique Sound Lab are actually Sovteks and are considered to be decent but not as good as the old Mullards. The Svetlana EL34 is very highly regarded and usually described as superior to the Sovtek.

My advice is leave the JJ's alone - You will be unlikely to replace them with anything that is actually better ( others will undoubtedly disagree ). Since you have a set of Svetlana's at hand give them a whirl. They get a lot of positive press and at worst will be as good as the Sovteks. I question whether you will hear a discernible change in the sound of your amp but trying them can hurt nothing.

madeneen,

Items received in Canada are charged about 15% tax on the declared value. In addition, UPS also charges a significant amount in "brokerage fees" (at times as much as taxes). Packages sent by USPS are delivered by Canada Post and their fee is only $5 fixed (in addition to 15% taxes). One way to reduce the fees+taxed on the packages sent to Canada is to declare a lower value, but then you take a risk if the package is lost or damaged.

Obviously, since you were returning this item you should have indicated on the export declaration papers that this item is being returned for refund, so that it wouldn't be treated as an import into Canada, and shipped by USPS to avoid their brokerage fees.

One needs to know what is involved in shipping to Canada to avoid any disappointments. Of course, there are bad sellers on both sides of the border.

Well, I guess Im about to experience recieving a shipment from Canada in the next few days. I've got a TD-165 from ebay coming. I'm only paying $99 so it's not a life threatening event, although it may be when my wife gets this month's CC bill!

I hope that I don't have any of these horror stories to report. All I've bought from Canada so far has been parts with no problems. The tip on using the USPS is one that I will burn deep in my memory for sure, eh.

Rick

Mark,

Sorry to hear your bad experience with Canadian shipments. I have shipped and recieved many packages to and from Canada without a incedent. The Post Office is a safe bet but also if the Canadian resident likes to gamble Fed Ex works much like the Post Office. If you declare it a gift or returned after repair, and do not declare its value there are no fees. I just learned the Fed Ex tricks from a Canadian buyer a few weeks ago. I can see your point though it is a hassle and leaves me with a uneasy feeling until I hear the package has arrived safely.

Craig

----------------

On 1/11/2004 4:01:38 AM lynnm wrote:

The JJ's are made in what was Jugoslavia at what was the Tesla factory. They are among the best in current production and are arguably equal to any ever made.

The stock EL34 ( AKA 6CA7 ) although branded as Antique Sound Lab are actually Sovteks and are considered to be decent but not as good as the old Mullards. The Svetlana EL34 is very highly regarded and usually described as superior to the Sovtek.

Lynn, my ASL came stock with ElectroHarmonix EL34. The 12au7 say AntiqueSoundLab and have no other markings on them whatsoever. I was told that they're Chinese.

Craig, do I need to rebias when I change the preamp tubes?

No easy answer to the problem. UPS charges brokerage fees when shipping goods into Canada and it is substantial, $50 range for brokerage fees. Goods that I have received from USPS are hit with the lower fee. I agree with using USPS to ship goods into Canada. Tubes have arrived without problems and the $5 fee for brokerage and then 15% tax declared on the stated value is the best deal going.

UPS, you are a rip off.

Don