Buying from Canada, a Question?

Johnny dB

That is a pretty decent price for that amp. I have used mine for about 1 1/2 years and have been completely happy with it. Its performance is in the same league as amps retailing for far more than it does.

Biasing is easily accomplished. Mine came set at about 330mv. but I checked with Joseph Lau ( designer of the amp ) and he told me that it can run safely at 450 mv. at which point it runs in pure class A almost 100% of the time - unless one starts pushing it really hard.My best guess is at that bias voltage mine remains in class A up to about 20 watts which is far more than my Klipschorns would ordinarily pull.

You could easily spend a lot more and get a lot less.

Shipping costs shouldn't be too bad. Use a weight for the boxed amp of about 45 lb. when checking shipping costs. If you buy it specify that the tubes be packed separately.

If you have specific questions feel free to PM me.

NOSValves

Increase Dosage

Total Posts: 5,206

I bought my Preamp from Canada and I really do not know what Lloyd claimed its value at but I was charged zip zero nadda for duties.

-----------

A lot better than when it goes the other way, then Canada Customs ensures that us Canucks pay PST and GST on the value that is converted to Canadian $.

eg. $200 US value x 1.308 = $261.60. 261.60 x 1.15 (PST, GST) = $300.84 CDN, plus shipping.

----------------

On 12/28/2003 1:09:48 PM Dflip wrote:

NOSValves

Increase Dosage

Total Posts: 5,206

I bought my Preamp from Canada and I really do not know what Lloyd claimed its value at but I was charged zip zero nadda for duties.

-----------

A lot better than when it goes the other way, then Canada Customs ensures that us Canucks pay PST and GST on the value that is converted to Canadian $.

eg. $200 US value x 1.308 = $261.60. 261.60 x 1.15 (PST, GST) = $300.84 CDN, plus shipping.
----------------

The nerve of those F%*#&RS!

Yea, but you've got cheap prescription drugs, eh?

-------------

At the moment, anyways!

The price comparison I gave you was this year, not two years ago. Then it would have been another 15% then due to the Canadian peso at the time. As long as Bush is financing his war in Iraq, the Canadian dollar will stay higher and goods from the US are more affordable.

About twice the price is pretty close for most electronics. It makes the Moondogs and amps of that ilk almost out of our price range. A seemingly reasonable $1500 becomes more like $2250. That does not include shipping, UPS fees for customs, or taxes. A very expensive toy!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, Another question regarding duties from Canada. I received the ASL amp I bought from someone off Audiogon, on Thurs. Today, I get a bill from Purolator. It says the duties I owe are $48 bucks, ouch.14.gif That really sucks considering the amount was stated as $600CND or about $465 US. Now the bill says theres a Brokerage fee of $18 and $30 in Surety Bond Fee. 24% interest after 7 days!7.gif Anybody know what happens if I don't pay this? Should I expect Mounties at my door? 11.gif I'm sure I'll pay it, but was just wondering if these are disputable. I got a decent price on the ASL. It looks and sounds great, so I don't mind too much.

Sheesh !

Sometimes this BB software is flakier than a car load of croissants !

Third attempt follows:

Glad to hear you got the AQ !

I'm listening to The Joe Wilder Quartet "Music From Peter Gunn" via the AQ and my Khorns as I type.

Bias that puppy at 450 mv. and it will operate in Class A virtually all the time. I have been in communication with Joseph Lau who designed this gem of ours and that was his recommendation. He did also warn that that bias voltage drives the EL34's rather hard but gives the nicest sound.

What speakers are you using ?

----------------

On 1/11/2004 1:17:57 AM Johnny dB wrote:

They are currently hooked up to my '84 Khorns. Sounds wonderful for sure. Thanks for the bias tip. I'll do that right now. Do I need to bias when I'm changing the 12au7 tubes as well? Can you sub 12ax7 for the 12au7?

----------------

I really don't know but I am sure someone will answer that for you. The AQ comes stock with JJ preamp tubes and they are very highly regarded.Changing them might well be counterproductive.