RB-5/RS-35/HK525 crossover settings.

pythagore

Hi Fellow Klipschters,

First, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

I have a few questions:

1- I just bought my RS-35 9.gif, I currently set the crossover to 80Hz. Is is too low? since the frequency response of the RS-35 is 81Hz-20KHz.

2- I also bought a RW-12 sub to match my RB-5 which I'am using as front. What is the best crossover settings for the RB-5/Sub.

3- The phase knob on the back of the RW-12 should I live it at 0?

Thanks,

Jean

I wouldn't worry about the crossover of 80 being too low on the RS-35. If the frequency response is rated at 81, that does not mean that it cannot produce a sound of 80Hz, (or even 70 or 60) just that the output (db level) is lower at 80 than it was at 81. 80 is probably the best crossover for this speaker because the slope of the crossover probably matches the speaker very well.

As for your second question, most receivers only allow you to choose one crossover setting for all the main speakers, does yours allow you seperate front/rear crossover settings? If not, 80 is probably the best for the fronts as well. As for the subwoofer, just set the crossover on that all the way up, or bypass the crossover altogether, as you are already using the receiver's crossover for the Front/Rear bass management, and you do not want to cut off any of the LFE.

As far as the phase knob on the back of the RW-12, depends on your room. If you aren't getting enough bass in your seating position, you can try adjusting the phase, or moving the sub. It's all about experimentation, and finding the right combination. Hope this helps.

Merry New Year to Pythagore and all:

You will love your AVR 525. In addition to its outstanding sound with Klipsch speakers, the bass management capabilities of the AVR 525 is a plus. Yes, it has the capability to set the crossovers for all speakers individually (except the left/right rears).

1) 80 HZ is probably ok for your RS35 given that it goes down to 82 HZ. That being said, I have my RS35 set at 100 HZ, following the tried and true adage of setting the crossover the next level up.

2) I would set your RB-5 to 60 HZ, the next level up (48 HZ for RB-5). I would set your sub all the way up. My RF3IIs are set at 40 HZ, and my SVS PB2-ISD and 20-39PCi are set all the way up.

3) Toddvj is right; subwoofer phase depends on your room acoustics. From what I recall, the RW-12 is fully adjustable with respect to phase. I am not an expert on this subject but have learned from some of the veterans of the sub wars (i.e. thanks, Trilogy). I would suggest using a disk such as Avia (my preference) that will give you adequate subwoofer test tones. You should play the Avia tones and adjust the phase control until the test tone is the loudest (per your ears or preferably, a Radio Shack SPL meter). If you have a partner, this can be done more quickly if one person sits in the sweet spot and listens (or looks at the meter), and the other person turns the phase dial.

Good luck and happy listening!!!

-----------------------------------

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RC35

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD 10.gif

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500