Zebrawood Heresy Progress

garymd

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I appreciate it. I'm certainly no expert when it comes to this stuff, but I really enjoy it, and I learn a little more each time I do a set of speakers. If I could make a good living refinishing speakers, I'd do it.

Still no email Tom.

Thanks fini/Gregg, I actually got an article published last year in the Journal of Light Construction on Owner's Manuals for new homes, I think I got something like $700 for the article. Pretty cool! Now if I could just do that with an article on veneering these speakers! Where do you live?

That's very interesting about how Klipsch got the precut panels delivered with the veneer already applied. Makes sense from a production point of view.

Happy New Year everyone.

Greg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy New Year Greg (and everyone else for that matter). I guess you won't be finishing them tonight?2.gif I'm amazed how quickly you've turned this project around. You da man!

Anyone know if you can paint woofer surrounds? One is black and one red. Don't ask me why. Never had to worry about it before, nor did I even know until I pulled them out for ease of shipping back to me. I assume I can put a light coat of black paint on the red one to match. They kind of look painted anyway.

----------------

On 12/31/2003 10:08:20 PM 3dzapper wrote:

Gary your speakers and the Orioles; Wait 'til next year!

Greg is doing a nice job on them for you, working hard, while you lolly-gag around rolling tubes and listen to tunes.
2.gif

Happy New Year!!!
3.gif3.gif

Rick

----------------

Didn't think of that Rick. The Os suck anyway. As long as Angelos owns them I don't see much hope. I'll paint them black. Thanks for the idea though.

Maybe I could hire someone to paint murals on them. Now that would be cool. Maybe giant PWK logos could be stenciled in. The ideas are endless.6.gif

Got your email Tom, thanks. Your penguins don't move on my screen. I've seen them before and saved them on my computer, my wife likes penguins. The animation is great. Obviously the penguin on the right is the one the animator created.

Gary, I don't know why you couldn't paint the surround. I wonder what a black magic marker would look like? It may not go on evenly. You might have to do both woofers to be exactly the same. You could sell them on ebay and buy others.

I'll be working on them today, making the bases and putting the first coat of poly on them. I think I might try to add a bit of color, not with stain, but just a thin coat of oil, but I'm going to try the poly and the oil both on a scrap piece first to see what the color looks like. I still remember the slight golden color of your Corns. If the poly doesn't do that on it's own, at least a little, I think I might try the oil first.

I don't know about all of you, but I couldn't make it to midnight last night. Fell asleep at about 11:00 to a Led Zep DVD. Great DVD, I was just beat.

Greg

it's an animated GIF, I don't know why it would be static on your screen. Maybe an internal setting in your browser? Are you using MS IE?

Good work on that pair of Heresy's, encourages me to try some stuff. My Khorns will be re-lacquered, tho. THey're too original to do anything else with. I'm reading up on lacquering now. Looks like a skilled process to me. I have a 5HP compressor and paint guns and stuff, I'm just intimidated by the thought of getting started stripping the things.

Tom

Nice work Greg!

Please let us know how you remove your veneer accident! How thick was the veneer that you applied actually? While I'm at the Q&A thing, what do you use a stripper to remove finish on veneered items without disolving the glue especially edges and corners?

Very interesting read.

Yes Tom, I think it's a setting in my MS IE, I used to be able to see animations, now that I've switched to Earthlink and using their "Total Access" software, I'm not able to view the animation. Any ideas? I looked the other day but couldn't find anything in the Earthlink properties or settings.

Clueless: I used a belt sander and a 50 grit belt. In the process I actually went a little too deep and had to bring it back up with resin filler. While sanding the resin filler, I used a straight edge and very carefully made sure I had the top flat.

I've used Zip-Strip before to remove urethane finishes and it's worked really good. I scrape the first layer of Zip off with a putty knife, then add a second application and use steel wool. Clean with steel wool and a bleach/water mixture, then a light sanding and you should be all set.

Greg

Greg,

I think that from of one of your comments, that iron on - iron off really didn't work as expected. Also, Belt sanders are a little bit too "industrial" for my level of expertice.

I generally like to use high liquid type strippers. Like Strip-EAze They work fast and the user has to work fast...suits me. Problem is that they disolve glues equally fast.

Drats! I'm not discourarged yet.

Clueless: The iron-off certainly didn't work. I barely had the iron on that piece before I realized I didn't have enough overhang on one side, and the veneer stuck so bad there was no way it was coming off with the iron. That's why I ripped it off and took the picture. The rest came off with the belt sander.

The Zip-Strip is for just taking finishes off of the wood if you were going to refinish a pair of speakers.

I'm not entirely sure we are both on the same page here for some reason, but anyway, hope this information is helpful.

Bases are made Gary, no finish on yet, tomorrow I think.

Greg

Thanks Greg for the info -

Sorry for muddying the waters with my questions. I have several projects involving veneer, that make me a bit antsy, thus the query.

Anyhow, excellent job!

One major question remains? What are your going to use as a stain? Last I herd Minwax had discontinued the "Zebra-Stripe, Gazelle Glossy, and Antelope Satin" stains.

Can't take me anywhere! Cheers 1.gif

----------------

On 1/2/2004 5:13:53 PM greg928s4 wrote:

Clueless: The iron-off certainly didn't work. I barely had the iron on that piece before I realized I didn't have enough overhang on one side, and the veneer stuck so bad there was no way it was coming off with the iron. That's why I ripped it off and took the picture. The rest came off with the belt sander.

The Zip-Strip is for just taking finishes off of the wood if you were going to refinish a pair of speakers.

I'm not entirely sure we are both on the same page here for some reason, but anyway, hope this information is helpful.

Bases are made Gary, no finish on yet, tomorrow I think.

Greg

----------------

I stand corrected (on the iron-off comment).8.gif Sorry it wasn't as easy as you expected.

Any new pics?