Zebrawood Heresy Progress

garymd

I'm speechless.

I'll have them back together by the end of next week. Tomorrow I'll see if I can use black magic marker to match the woofers.

I'm very glad I became the test subject for your work. You really have a talent for this Greg. We're all eager to see how your khorns turn out. I also didn't expect you to have them finished so quickly!

Can't thank you enough!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Might I suggest a product for you to use between coats of lacquer or poly? It's called "Wool Lube" and it's made by Mohawk Finishing Products. You mix it about 50/50- with water and then use it with 600 grit wet/dry. After you have built up 2-4 coats of finish you step up to 1000 grit wet/dry and then on the final block sanding you go to 1500 grit. You then use three stages of rubbing/buffing compound and the final result is like GLASS. I use this process in my shop ALL THE TIME and it works! You can build up 20-25 coats of lacquer and get a piano-quality finish without a spray booth.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/10/2004 6:45:42 PM garymd wrote:

I'm speechless.

I'll have them back together by the end of next week. Tomorrow I'll see if I can use black magic marker to match the woofers.

I'm very glad I became the test subject for your work. You really have a talent for this Greg. We're all eager to see how your khorns turn out. I also didn't expect you to have them finished so quickly!

Can't thank you enough!

----------------

Gary,

Just got the zebrawood corn's, in my house

11.gif heh heh heh, man they are very PRETTY, just like you said, uh oh smilin will have a scott, zebrawood corn matching sig. except mine are 79's alnico and omfg do they sound wonderful. You were right again when you said cornwalls sound better in zebrawood2.gif I'm starting to 9.gif again. Can't wait to get to your place and play with all your goodies6.gif I mean equipment2.gif Stereo and HT that is!

smilin for U10.gif

This thread deserves at least one more jump to the top.

I received them yesterday and they are incredibly beautiful. Words cannot describe how these look. I would put them up against any other heresys in the universe as far as finish. When I receive my new matching woofer and install all the drivers, I'll get my friend to come over and take pics. The inside trim of the driver openings look like they have all been freshly painted black. They are real show pieces.

Thanks once again to Greg for his fine craftsmanship!

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/15/2004 11:11:52 PM garymd wrote:

This thread deserves at least one more jump to the top.

I received them yesterday and they are incredibly beautiful. Words cannot describe how these look. I would put them up against any other heresys in the universe as far as finish. When I receive my new matching woofer and install all the drivers, I'll get my friend to come over and take pics. The inside trim of the driver openings look like they have all been freshly painted black. They are real show pieces.

Thanks once again to Greg for his fine craftsmanship!

----------------

he heh heh hahahahaohohohoh congrats, ZEBRA'S dancing at gary's house, betcha they sound better too

2.gif Gary, you need to zebrafy your amps NOW!!6.gif BTW are these for you or your son? He is one lucky guy with a GREAT dad if they are! Still here with the flu, but well talk soon. Glad your happy, remember I am storing YOUR future matching zebra corns here for you!

Smilin12.gif

Smilin,

Feel better soon. Lots of work to be done! Not to mention the party you're hosting! Craig and I made a deal today so no worries on the speaker front.1.gif I guess I'll have a house full of zebras eventually.9.gif

Guy,

Thanks. I'll certainly enjoy them.

I haven't yet determined if my son is worthy of these. Only time and his grades will tell. So far he's doing well. The next year and 1/2 will be the test! He'll have to cut down on the brewskies if he wants to really do well. He had a 3.0 last semester but I know he can do better.

Thanks Gary, Guy, Dean, Tom.

It's always satisfying to get good feedback, especially from the customer!

Tom, I think you can do this type of veneer if you have the right tools and take your time. The random orbit sander is critical, get the Dewalt with the break. Don't use the wife's iron, get your own!

I'm actually renting space for my shop now, got a steal at $150 a month, I pay the heat. Two rooms (20 x 24 and 14 x 16), painted drywall, nice lighting, windows, even a private 1/2 bath. I had guy stuff to do but no guy space to do it in. My house is on a slab. So I'll be taking some time to build new workbenches and set it all up to do my projects.

I love it, it's a business expense!

Greg

Tom, thanks for the link16.gif

Greg,6.gif Wow, designer Herseys. You have to see it to believe it. 25 hours of quality work to ptoduce a beautiful look. Now thats impressive.

Gary, you are not worthy 9.gif Almost makes me want to buy something for Greg to refinish, just to have a showpiece.

I have an idea. We probably all starve for a decent stereo rack. How about a stereo rack that matches our speakers? Then you install some of the shelves with the drawer hinges so that they roll out. Imagine how easy to change wiring, just grab the shelf and pull it out.

So, here is our process list: Scott/Eico.Mac used amp, Ryan/Craig rebuild, Dean polishing job, used Klipsch speakers with a Greag refinish and matching stereo rack, dean crossover rebuild, Kelly website - post on the Forum and get gobs of feedback.

That leaves nothing for me but to be a buyer. Oh well we all have our talents.

I just finished putting the heresys back together. Next job is to hook them up to the fisher.

They're even more impressive with all the drivers in. Even with mismatching woofers (got a matching K-22-K on the way).

Wasn't until this morning that I realized Greg built 2 sets of risers! One regular, one slanted. The slanted risers were bubble-wrapped inside one of the cabinets. That's what I call doing a job right! How many people would go to all that trouble without even being asked!1.gif1.gif1.gif

The only decision I have to make is whether or not to put the pie-logos back on. I'd hate to put holes in that beautiful veneer. Any thoughts?

Actually the logo's are attached with two tiny nails. Just keep the nails for future possiblities (in the holes in the back of the speaker) and stick them on the front. I don't think you'd notice the two tiny empty holes at all. A very small piece of two sided tape should work.

Now that the surprise is out, I've posted a couple of pics on the website showing the angled riser bases if anyone's interested in seeing them. Really cool with the grain going vertical. The two bases makes it possible to keep the speakers level or simply change to the angled risers for a different application. I've already mounted the angled risers, so all the holes are there for the screws and will be easily changed with a phillips screwdriver.

So now we all want to know if they sound better in zebrawood!

Greg