Just finished playing Halo. Got a question(s)

m00n

So I played Halo over about a year and a half time span so it's been a while since I started the game to the time I finished it last night. This leaves me with some questions about the story.

1) How did it come to be that the alians ended up fighting each other?

2) Why did Halo needed to be destroyed?

Can someone explain the story to me? It's just been too many times where I play the game for a few days then put it down for a few months, then pick it back up for a week, then put it down for a year and all that... Just don't remember.4.gif

Oh yeah! Halo is one of the best games I have ever played. Beats Quake 1 and 2 hands down. Considering it's different than tribes 1 & 2 I can't compare it to that but I will say as far as 1st person shooter non multiplayer goes it's by far the best I have ever played. Now I am chomping at the bits for Halo 2 to come out.

Moon,

SPOILERS************************************************* ***************************************************

Remember the guilty spark guy who told the story of the Flood? The flood feed off of any living beings. Anyhoo, The covenant was dorking around on Halo and they woke the Flood up. And Halo itself is a device designed to destroy the flood...by destroying all life within 10,000 light years of itself. So to prevent this, Halo must be destroyed, taking the flood with it. I have the spoiler warning above because the flood is a MAJOR plot twist in the game for those who haven't played it. Play it again Moon, play it again. The story is half the fun! 2.gif2.gif

BTW, halo is my favorite game....EVER. And I've played a lot of them. I've owned...

Atari 2600

NES

SNES

Game Boy

Game Boy Color

Game Boy Advance

N64

Playstation2

Dreamcast

XBOX

Gamecube

PC in many incarnations

dblue

The flood, what exactly is the flood? Is it just the name of those fat white

creatures that pop when you shoot them and pop out those smaller things that relentlessly chase you around but do very little damage? So anyway, the convenant are fighting the flood because they want to eat them too. Does The Flood travel from planet to planet sucking up everything in it's path?

Guilty spark... Is that the little floating ball that follows you around the library?

So, if halo was designed to destroy the flood,

a)Who built halo

b)Why did we have to distroy halo rather than let halo kill the flood? Was it becasue it was too close to earth and would have destroyed earth also?

Yeah I know what your saying about Halo being your favorite game. It has such a quality about it. Every aspect of the game has quality. I have the xbox magazine which comes with demo DVDs. I have about 10 demo CDs with several different 1st person shooters. NON of them seem to have the quality that Halo has. They all seem almost cheezy compared to Halo. Bungie did an outstanding job with this game. I hope Halo 2 can live up to the first one.

Have you played the PC version yet?

moon,

i dont exactly remember who built halo but i know that there is way more than just one halo - i know that there are multiple rings floating about the "halo" universe.

as for halo killing the flood.... umm no. the flood resides on halo. halo kills by having the flood do the killing for it.

halo is a great game and i am sure that halo2 will be just as good, if not, better.

"as for halo killing the flood.... umm no. the flood resides on halo. halo kills by having the flood do the killing for it."

Not true. Guilty spark stated that the flood were captured and contained on halo, but that the Halos were designed to wipe the flood out if they ever escaped again. The Halos were created by some ancient race. They were built as a way to destroy the flood if anything ever got out of hand...but destroying all of the Flood's food source...which is all life withing 10,000,000 light years in some giant cataclysmic (SP?) explosion.

Moon, yeah, the flood are those things that pop when you shoot them. If you notice some of the forms they take, when they're humanoid, they've actually overtaken an human or covenant.

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

On 12/29/2003 1:50:22 AM m00n wrote:

Have you played the PC version yet?

----------------

I am currently playing the PC version (picked up last weekend), and I am finding it to be quite good. The only real gripe I have with it is that some of the inddor levels seem to damn repetitive. Notice how a lot of the rooms seem to look to much a like. Still, some great combat action in the game, plus this game has some of the best outdoor scenery and sequences I have seen in an FPS.

Also, one of the most interesting "weapons management" schemes I have seen in a game. You are only allowed to carry two weapons, so you often have to decide something like, should you take the rocket launcher, the shot-gun or the sniper rifle, while still keeping the pistol. It is also pretty cool that you can pick up the weapons from the fallen enemy. Ran out of ammo for that pistol? Pick up that Covenant weapon and start blasting away with it! This is the only game that I can recall that handles weapons like that (and pretty realistic - unlike most FPS where you have something like 10 weapons - truly an "Army of One!" Now who is actually going to carry ten weapons and all the ammo for them?).

Now, on the XBox, I can see how it is one of the best shooters. However, on the PC, I still have to give the edge to Elite Force II, Tron 2.0, Call of Duty, and even the venerable Half-Life (considered by many to be the greatest FPS of all time - will be interesting to see if Half-Life 2 can surpass)! Still, after playing this, I may have to consider getting an XBox when Halo 2 comes out.

The spoiler did not ruin anything for me. I was already past the part where I learned that the Halo ring has to be destroyed (I am in the level where I have to try to disable the 2nd pulse generator).

Also to Add:

Game Playing Tip:

I found that the best two weapons to deal with the Flood is the shotgun and the pistol. The shotgun does great work in taking out the big humanoid creatures as well as the groups of those annoying little bastards. I then use the pistol to pick off individual ones. Also, I have been able to plug the enemy from pretty afar with the pistol with great success (especially if you use the zoom/scope feature of the pistol). Ammo for these two weapons seemed to be pretty plentiful, so I very rarly ever ran out (and if I did, there seems to be no shortage of Covenent weapons left laying around, which also work nicely for dealing with the Flood). Don't underestimate that pistol! It is accurate, has a good rate of fire, holds plenty of ammo in one clip, and is pretty fast to reload, as well as being pretty powerful. I took out a Hunter with two shots from a pretty good distance with it. I also took down a Banshee with it also.

I agree about the pistol, skonopa. It is a very powerful weapon (charge in at a hunter so he stops shooting, circle-strafe him as he charges, and BLAM, one shot in his soft spot and he's down).

The only time I ever drop the pistol is if I'm playing on legendary and there are a lot of elites around. I carry one covenant pistol and the assault rifle. One charged shot from that cove pistol drains their shields completely, then quickly switch to the rifle, charge, and fill their head full of lead (or even give them a nice melee bonk....very powerful and underestimated move).

• 2 weeks later...

The flood and the covenant are fighting for a very simple reason. The flood want to eat everything!!!! They are primitive creatures who's sole purpose is to eat every damnthing in sight. So the covenant are naturally trying to, well, not get eaten.

The reason Master Chief has to destroy Halo is because Halo has activated it's "Self Defense Mechanism" this basically means each Halo (yes there are more than one) will emit something that kills everything that the flood could eat (which is almost every living thing including humans) and each Halo will send a signal to the other Halos so they will all go off in a chain reaction. This was supposedly deigned to stop the spread of the flood should they have gotten off the ring. After all the Halos have gone of Guilty Spark comments by saying "But once the others (other Halos) follow suit, this galaxy will be quite devoid of life." So if he blows up Halo he will (hopefully) have killed the flood (we will see if that is actually the case in Halo 2.) and it will stop that Halo from telling all the other Halos to go off as well.

So there ya have it! If you go much farther you enter the VAST world of Halo speculation which is always fun and thought provoking but can get a little too much. That's why I can't wait for Halo 2.

Personally I think Halo might be some sort of gateway from another area or dimension and Halo is a area to contain them once the flood come from that place. Or Halo may be a biological research facility which would make sense as to why it has such varying climate in such an artificial structure as well as why the controls for Halo would be buried deep down in a freezing crevace.

ALso did you all notice the name of the planet and moon that mysteriously align themselves PERFECTLY with Halo? Hmm, interesting. I think the Planet was called something like Portal? Hmm.

Also another thing to remember is that the Flood in the Bible was a device designed to destroy all life. The flood in Halo does a similar thing. I have heard Bungie loves biblical refrences, as well as many other refrences. If you want to get into Halo speculation you can but you could get in way over your head. :)

• 3 weeks later...