Rears for a 7.1 Reference 7 setup?

mamacmil

I am getting ready to purchase a Reference 7 package (2-RF7s, RC7, 2-RS7s), but I have a dilemma on what to use for the 6th and 7th speakers in the rear. I decided on bookshelves for the rears, but how much will I benefit from RB75s vs. RB35s? Obviously, all else being equal, the RB75s would be my choice, but considering budget the RB35s are definitely more attractive. What do you think? $$ is an issue, but given the money I'm going to be spending, anyway, I don't want to make a mistake or be left wondering if I should have gone with the 75s.

(PS-Just for FYI, I will be running an SVS for my sub. Probably a PB2-ISD or PB2+)

I sort of whent through the same decision process, except it was deciding between RS7s and RS 35s. (I use a suurround type speaker because of my room dynamics.) I chose the 35s for cost reasons, and set my rear channel speakers to small and cross over all lf below 80hz to my SVS PB2+. It makes for a very nice setup and I don't regret not choosing RS7s.

Jerry Rappaport

That is a difficult question for me to answer because I don't have a lot of 6.1 or 7.1 "software" that contains distinct voices. Usually it it crowd sounds...which tend to be diffuse to start with. I will say that with most material the 35s are a near perfect timbre match with the 7s, as they basically have the same design philosopy,technology and material in the drivers even though they may be a different sizes. Initially, I had used my RF3s for rears when I upgraded from 3 series to 7 series. They sounded fine however the sheer size of the RF3s was a problem. My listening room is a 20x20 "family room" with an 18 x 14 kitchen attached at the rear. Because of this odd room configuration the rear surrounds needed to be hung on the rear most wall above the kitchen cabinets. (about 20 feet behind the main listening position). I then tried RS25s and felt they just sounded a bit small, so I went to the 35s which are a couple of db's louder for the same input and sound like a much larger speaker. Before I hung the 35s I tried an experiment and replaced my right RS7 surround temporarily with one of the RS35s. Other than the fact that I needed to set the gain for the right 2 db higher to compensate for sheer size, there was no noticable difference in timbre from side to side. It has been my understanding and belief (supported by information from a Klipsch Rep) that since the introduction of the 7 series Klipsch has been very, very carefull to assure a good timbre match amongst all the newer Reference series for just the reasons we have been discussing. They even changed the original RF3s to a series II, which had a different tweeter than the original 3, solely for the purpose of timbre match.

Hi

Keep in mind if you go with the RB-75 for the rear effects/EX channel that the RS-7 has a different tweeter than the RF-7,RC-7 and RB-75 It may be wiser to use

the RB-15,RB-25 0r RB-35 as the EX channel speaker when using the RS-7 as the surrounds as they employ the same tweeter as the RS-7

Mamacmil you have PM

Mamacmil,

I had some point out the following to me when I was contemplating what to you as rears in a 6.1/7.1 setup... So it sounds like two more RS-7's may be in order for the rear.

"I noticed you said you were considering RB-35 for the surround back when you got 7.1 later, I'd suggest you match your sides and get two more RS-35.

First reason: when watching 5.1 movies the surround channel will be matrixed into both surround and surround/back speakers; having a perfect match will get you a better imaing effect which will be important sense the speakerswill always run this way.

Second reason: According to blind tests done by Home THeater Magazine, the resulting sound and imaging was _better_ than directs according to everyone involved in the tests. Here's the link: http://www.hometheatermag.com/loudspeakers/25/index.html

• 2 weeks later...

Anything wrong with 5 RF-7 and 2 RF-3II? I might just get 2 more RF-7s. And I would really like to get another RSW-15 and speaker wise I would be done and work on other things. As you can see in my sig I can see the difference between the RS stuff and RF speakers as surrounds. The RF-s are more open and the RS seem to have its own sound with transitions.

CD

mamacmil,

If you have the space I would recomend you try RF7's as sourrounds,yes RF7's. I use two pairs of RF7's front and back(back sourrounds)with RF5's as side sourrounds and RC7 for center.

This setup gives me near full range on all channels(powered bt ATI's 2505 and 1505)and backed by the RSW10,12 and 15 plus five Sunfire /Carver subs.Well a bit over the top but what can I say,its efortless and can bring the best out of any movie.

I know I will not go back to RS7's or frequency limited speakers as sourrounds.And the ideal combination would be RF7's all around,since many do not have the space for a center RF7 the RC7 does a admirable job.

Hi

I would not use a pair of RS series speakers for the EX

channels in the rear Mono pole is the specification because you are trying to recreate a large rear center with localization

Mounting a pair of RS-7 on the side wall in the null of the listening position

and a pair or RS series speakers on the back wall will make the rear too diffuse

If you are going to use a RS series speaker for the EX channel use one located in the middle of the rear wall

remember that the RS series are wide dispersion speakers Mono Pole for

the rear surrounds and then mono pole for the EX channel would be ok

but the EX channels should be mounted or placed closer together than the fronts

RF-7 front RC-7 center RF-7 surrounds RF-35 or RB-75 EX channel would be ok

RF-7 front RC-7 center RS-7 Side wall RF-35 EX Channel would be ok

RF-7 front RC-7 center RS-7 surrounds on side wall and RS-7 EX would not be ok

unless you used a single RS-7 for the EX or a single RC-7 for the EX

make sense ?

Guest Anonymous

THX,

How would 5 cornwalls, 2 front, 1 center on side vert, 2 rear, and a pair of heresy 1's standing on top of rear cornwalls be in your opinion?

Smilin

BTW would that be a good timbre match?

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/14/2004 12:26:51 AM htxpert wrote:

Flip the center Cornwall vertical and place Heresy's in the in the correct location as per the EX/ES spec and you may have something
:)

Smiling back at Ya
2.gif

----------------

htexpert,

Thanks, thats exactly what I will do, and it's perfect for my room too

2.gif Smilin, BTW the center is a verticle corn made perfect by laying on it's side on top of HD730 elite12.gif

Mamacmil:

I opted for the RB-5's for my rears in my 5.1 channel set up, as opposed to any of the RS speakers. My reasoning, and your objectives may vary, is that I'm a "music first" person. with multi channel music, my preference would be to have the instruments and vocals localized rather than diffuse.

Thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to update you when the purchase has been made.

EAR-what you're suggesting sounds great, and I would have enough room for RF7s all around...just not the $$. If my wife caught wind of me purchasing 7 RF7s, I'd be out on the street.