Need some info: HGS-12 vs. RSW15 vs ???

Brentis

I've been looking for a subwoofer for an new subwoofer for quite some time. I currently have a Monitor Audio ASW210 (2 10" drivers) and purchased it for its musical capabilities. I made the mistake of thinking I would be happy with it in a large room vs. the one that it in when I auditioned it...

I've found the Velo HGS-12 to be pretty impressive, however, it is pricey and now hard to find. My question is how does the RSW15 compare? The limited information I've found says it is a bit punchy up around 60 hz which I think could make my system a bit off balanced. I really want this subwoofer for HT explosions and such and don't want it bottoming out every couple of minutes like my asw210.

From a ranking perspective would you rank these subs in this order?

1) HGS-18

2) RSW-15

3) HGS-15

4) HGS-12

??

As long as the RSW-15 hits harder (with little distortion) than the hgs-12 I think I would be in good shape.

Thanks!

----------------

On 1/12/2004 10:54:44 AM Brentis wrote:

I've been looking for a subwoofer for an new subwoofer for quite some time. I currently have a Monitor Audio ASW210 (2 10" drivers) and purchased it for its musical capabilities. I made the mistake of thinking I would be happy with it in a large room vs. the one that it in when I auditioned it...

I've found the Velo HGS-12 to be pretty impressive, however, it is pricey and now hard to find. My question is how does the RSW15 compare? The limited information I've found says it is a bit punchy up around 60 hz which I think could make my system a bit off balanced. I really want this subwoofer for HT explosions and such and don't want it bottoming out every couple of minutes like my asw210.

From a ranking perspective would you rank these subs in this order?

1) HGS-18

2) RSW-15

3) HGS-15

4) HGS-12

??

As long as the RSW-15 hits harder (with little distortion) than the hgs-12 I think I would be in good shape.

Thanks!

----------------

That's how I would rank them. TheEAR will probably respond, I would put a lot of weight in what he says since he's knowledgalbe and owns both the HGS18 and RSW15.

"From a ranking perspective would you rank these subs in this order?

1) HGS-18

2) RSW-15

3) HGS-15

4) HGS-12"

Yes I would,I have the HGS18 and RSW15 in this list,and the HGS18 reaches where the RSW15 can only hint.At 31.5Hz both are very very capable,price must be considered and the RSW15 is the best proce/performance buy.

If you have the extra $$$ go with the HGS18,a great subwoofer and one capable of solid output down to below 16Hz.Not many subs reach this deep and still maintain an output a bit over 100dB mark.

good feedback. I went and heard the RSW-15 tonight. From recollection, I'd say the HGS-12 had a nice crisp thump down low without as much air movement/rumble. Could be just memory.. I still think I'm going to get the Klipsch from a price/availability/and air movement perspective.

Thanks.

Yep - it was likely mis configured b/c they couldn't figure out how to get the sub to play in stereo mode on the receiver. Only in DTS & such. I'm getting a pretty good deal from Ultimate Electronics. $1399. Seems reasonable for a brick & mortar store.