I need some serious advice from the experts.

Merscruggs

I am going to have a chance in the near future to upgrade my stereo. As of now, it consists of the following componets:

Myryad T40 integrated amp. 50wpc

Arcam CD72T.

Modified Realistic analog tuner.

Klipsch RF15 speakers.

Audioquest Viper interconnects.

Audioquest Slate bi-wire speaker cable.

This system sounds very good. The only thing that bugs me is it can get a little congested during complex musical passages. I'm really not sure if this is the result of my amp or my speakers. I love the high end and the "jump" factor of my little Klipsch. That being said, I feel the RF15's are the limiting factor of my stereo. I will be able to spend up to $2000 upgrading this system in the next couple of weeks. I am approching the upgrade in one of two ways.

1: Upgrade my speakers. I would like a little more refinement and a little deeper bass. I may go outside the Klipsch line or I may look at some of the larger Klipsch.

2: Keep the RF15's and buy a nice tube integrated. My regular dealer has a Conrad-Johnson CAV50 floor model I could pick up for $1700. I believe there are quite a few tubed integrateds I could pick up in my price range. Now obviously, larger Klipsch speakers would give me the deeper bass I'm looking for but will they solve the congestion problem? I really don't have the room or the budget for any of the Heritage models except maybe the Hearsy, and I don't think that will give me the bass I'm looking for. I want this to be my last upgrade for quite a while so I really want to get it right. I listen mostly to classical music with quite a bit of acoustic, blues and jazz thrown in. Help me out guys, where do I go from here?

----------------

On 1/12/2004 9:01:31 PM Merscruggs wrote:

I am going to have a chance in the near future to upgrade my stereo. As of now, it consists of the following componets:

Myryad T40 integrated amp. 50wpc

Arcam CD72T.

Modified Realistic analog tuner.

Klipsch RF15 speakers.

Audioquest Viper interconnects.

Audioquest Slate bi-wire speaker cable.

This system sounds very good. The only thing that bugs me is it can get a little congested during complex musical passages. I'm really not sure if this is the result of my amp or my speakers. I love the high end and the "jump" factor of my little Klipsch. That being said, I feel the RF15's are the limiting factor of my stereo. I will be able to spend up to $2000 upgrading this system in the next couple of weeks. I am approching the upgrade in one of two ways.

1: Upgrade my speakers. I would like a little more refinement and a little deeper bass. I may go outside the Klipsch line or I may look at some of the larger Klipsch.

2: Keep the RF15's and buy a nice tube integrated. My regular dealer has a Conrad-Johnson CAV50 floor model I could pick up for $1700. I believe there are quite a few tubed integrateds I could pick up in my price range. Now obviously, larger Klipsch speakers would give me the deeper bass I'm looking for but will they solve the congestion problem? I really don't have the room or the budget for any of the Heritage models except maybe the Hearsy, and I don't think that will give me the bass I'm looking for. I want this to be my last upgrade for quite a while so I really want to get it right. I listen mostly to classical music with quite a bit of acoustic, blues and jazz thrown in. Help me out guys, where do I go from here?
----------------

The Heresy's will definitely not give you a whole lot of bass from my personal experience. However the Cornwall's will. I have both. The Cornwall sounds mindboggling on my little 34 wpc Scott 299D integrated amp that I just got back a week ago from NOSValves.

A nice set of Cornwalls can be had on Audiogon, Audioweb, or eBay for $650-900. They are well worth the price. Good luck finding a pair of speakers that preforms as well in the same price range. If anyone knows of any, please let me know.

I vote for better speakers as the first priority. Whether you want to go used Heritage or bigger Reference is up to you.

Amplification can be put off till you hear your new speakers with your old amp. Fifty good watts is enough for Klipsch, but quality amplification does matter.

Bill

For 2K you can pick up a nice used pair of anything you like in the Heritage line and an integrated tube amp, too. If you like alot of bass and can't manage the Khorn, in terms of space, Cornwall is a good option. There are also lots of folk who add a sub to use with LaScala or Heresy.

BTW Welcome to the forum

There's NO WAY you need to spend $1700 on an amp to get the most out of your Klipsch, whether Heritage or Reference. I continue to be amazed at the sound from my little Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro, which can be had for about $500 or so used, and runs fully in Class A operation. You can run one amp in stereo, or buy 2 and use them as fully balanced monoblocks. For my Rf-7's, one amp is plenty, and it only puts out 30 WPC. Pair it with a good quality pre amp (possibly even your Myriad if it has pre-outs), or even a passive pre, and you'll have the detail and spaciousness you might be missing now. AND you'll have money left over to put towards a pair of RF-5's or RF'7's, which can be had used (I'll never buy another pair of speakers new again...there's no reason to if they are well maintained).

I agree with all who said $2000 will buy you the amp and the speakers. If you spend all the money on the amp, the speakers will be the limiting factor. If you put all the money in the speakers I am sure your current amp will not suffice.

A nice Scott/Eico/Fisher tube integrated amp and some Heritage speakers will fit the bill. Depending on size there ae many choices: Forte, Chorus, Cornwall - these go according to size and output.

For $2,000 I would take my time because you have the funds to get what you want if you have patience. If you have the room my reccomendation is Cornwalls $900-$1200 with shipping, and Scott 299? for around $700.00 totally rebuilt. JMO

If you'd like to go tube (which I hope you do), I recommend the Cayin TA-30. 35wpc with 4 EL-34's. Great little amp for the price - I paid about $650 before the holidays, but I think it will be a tad bit more now.

As for the speakers, brand-new RF-7's can be had for $1500-$1600 if you do your homework, so a very nice setup is within $2000's reach for this great combo.

The Monarchy SM-70's as monoblocks are also a great idea.

-Jesse