Can we ever own enough Klipsch

jim, i'd sell u my original 5.1 - a sony de935 - but i'd feel guilty as u could do much better & probably should give it to my brother to make up for that pioneer quadraphonic receiver i sold him in the early seventies cwm20.gif

i think 5.1, 6.1, etc is here to stay as, unlike quad, it has an real application in HT & backing from the movie industry. even now the recording industry to some extent.

denon, marantz, everybody is coming out w/ 6.1+ receivers w/ all the power for all the channels in 1 box. they're definitely out there.

Yea not ready yet anyway, besides your only 1 state over, maybe ill just stop by, and enjoy your H/T LOL!!

Boy, things sure did advance scince ive had home theater, i bought the onkyo new, for 581.97 and was outdated when i left the store, pissed me off!!

Well, 100+ posts, do i get the pro media 5.1 for that LOL!!

Jim

Center rear, that kills me LOL

Hey Jim, bite the bullet and go for 6.1 (or 7.1 for really large listening areas)... it is the most logical and dynamic multi-channel environment that is likely to stay around for some time. Although I use front effects speakers to make my mains sound better than they were designed to sound, the basic 6.1 speaker placement has a lot going for it.

Ideally, the "side/surround" speakers should be mounted on the side walls facing each other... I like then a foot or so behind the primary seating position in the sweetspot. With three speakers up front (mains + center) making up 5.1, that leaves a huge gap in the rear array.

In fairness, human beings (and other predators) are not well known for their ability to locate sounds directly behind them... but we do have a sense of comfort when the sounds behind us are non-threatening. So, by filling the blank wall behind us with sounds to make us comfortable or sounds to put us on edge becomes a strong psychological reason to include 6.1 as a tool for better theater... whether it is at home or in the local movie house.

Movie directors and sound engineers are finding that they can get better effects from a rear center channel... just like they found for the front center channel. Phantom center channels (which is what, in effect, must be created by the side/surrounds) are a step in the right direction... but most folks who have a 6.1 speaker system with a pre-amp that matrixes a discrete rear center channel from 5.1 sources will tell you it adds a meaningful difference to their HT experience.

Clearly, 6.1 (not 5.1) deserves to be the standard for multi-channel HT... and then the fun begins with the ambiance boosters... like front effects speakers, WDST side speakers, dual rear speakers, multiple subs, etc. depending on how your ears perceive your room acoustic nightmare or opportunity.

So, before you begin building your 360° "sound wall" HT... start with the basic seven... six speakers that closely match in tone & timbre plus a bass that comes as close to Dolby Reference Level as you can afford. Having a solid fundamental plan helps avoid disappointing choices in upgrading your gear.

cwm15.gif Check it out! HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46/Ultra

Klipsched Motor Home SB2's, KLF C-7, ???, Yamaha 5-disc DVD/CD 996,

Under Construction

Thank you for the advice Ed, ill check it out!!

Ganna go from the 4 cornwalls, and academy center, then prabably upgrade to 6.1, and do some experimenting!

They changed home theater a lot scince i had one!!

One again, i have a lot to learn!

You have Klipsch in a motorhome? Saw that here, how does it sound?

Take it easy, Regards Jim

So far so good, Jim. We are using the motorhome every weekend until mid-October at the Northern California Renaissance Pleasure Faire after which I will make some major interior changes. When your ears get used to having six KLF 30's and a pair of SVS Ultras for HT and Cornwall I's in the music room... it is not easy to build a great sound system in the awkward acoustic envelope of a motor home.

The area is too big to ask ProMedia to fill it and there just isn't enough space to accommodate that Heritage Klipsch sound we all treasure. To save space, today I replaced the CRT with an upscale 17" flat screen monitor with TV tuner built-in to the on-board Dell PIV 8100 computer... which is hardwired to a GPS unit for navigation purposes. I'm using an old 5.1 Sony receiver with a Yamaha 5-disc DVD/CD player hooked to an inverter to support the speaker array.

Presently, Klipsch SB2's are being used for mains (they were formerly front effects speakers on my HT unit) to justify using my Klipsch traveling mug and clipboard on the road. I am using an old set of small set of 6.1 Infinity's (with an 8" sub) to test out the acoustics... and when I find the "ideal" placements... I will replace the Infinities with an all Klipsch environment... and, most likely, include one of the new Klipsch subwoofers.

With all of the reflective surface nooks and crannies plus sound absorbing curtains and furnishings, fitting out a motorhome is more of a challenge than it might seem at first blush. One of the awkward challenges is the three speaker configurations required: 1. Driving, 2. Inside while parked, 3. Outside under the 20' awning. That makes for the most challenging "sweetspot" arranging I have ever encountered! It will be great to have an "at home" opportunity to fine tune the sound system after the "faire" is over.

Temporarily, the rig is being set-up to create museum-quality graphic art using Olympus E-10 high-res digital photos, a proprietary font technology (which my son and I developed) and a six-color 13"x19" printer using opaque archival inks. The odd size is "foolscap" which was the smallest paper size made in medieval times.

I have an authentic working replica of a "journeyman press" made from 16th century plans which I use to give printing demos. The modern term "journeyman" (meaning a person well versed in his craft) came from the use of these early presses which disassembled with all of the printing items fitting inside the box that serves as a base while printing. If a man (sorry Mystery Guest, I know of no journey-woman examples) could make his circuit of towns, in medieval times, without meeting foul play... he was considered to be someone who passed the acid test of his craft... meeting the expectations of others outside your home turf... and was awarded the title "journeyman."

Someday when I get it sorted out, Jim, I'll post some photos of the emergent Klipsch sound system. In the meantime, you can be sure I'll be cwm42.gif monkeying around. HornEd

Ed

Your not by any chance heading to colorado are ya?

That was a real nice reply, i think it would be nice to have a portable Klipsch soundsystem, to travel!!

Are ya ganna want to go back home? LOL

I think if i were to do that, at the same time id put Klipsch logos on the sides of the motorhome, and show them off!!

Id miss the heritage system also!

How are the cornwalls working out for ya, what did ya think?

I dont think i saw a post about them!

Well, after i get the academy, and im ready to build, im ganna bring your reply out here, and follow the system, you recomended, that one sounds great!!

Have fun on the road!!

Regards Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Well,

I stepped into the digital world, and now my whole outlook on home theater has changed!!

I got a sony STR-DE825 for 100.00, thats right 100.00, it has the blue line that lights up when id digital surround!!

Also picked up a apex DVD player!!

So now i have 2 channel and a really nice theater system here!!

Only can hook one up at a time!!

After hearing digital, im not sure if ill go back to 2 channel, at least for the rest of this year LOL!!!

Need to buy some DVDS!!

I think this one is 5.1, but after pro logic, i dont care!! LOL!!

It has 2 sets of fronts input on the back, rears center and sub!!

So i can get a third set of cornwalls, and run 4 channel stereo, on top of all the theater stuff!!

My freind who sold me this unit bought the onkyo 7.1 brand new for $969.00, thats a lotta dough, for home theater!!

Its a very nice reciever, and ill prabably wind up with something like that someday, like when he upgrades his LOL!!!

All in all, ive stepped into the digital theater world, and yes im hooked!!

I love it, i can hear my academy now!! Awesome center, holly sh--t!!

To me, i think 5.1 is enough, i dont really have any room in the single moble home for more!!

Unless i take the bathroom out!!

cwm35.gif

Well, that whats new on my end, i might look for a 6.1 down the road, but i sure do love this sony!!

Cornwalls front

Cornwalls rear

Academy center

Quintets decoration

Sony STR-DE825 DIGITAL

APEX DVD

Optimus HX-PRO cassette

Optimus HI-FI VCR

Pyramid amplifier-2 channel

Harmon Kardon CD player

Magnavox 5 disc CD player

Pioneer Sx 950- 2 channel

Regards Jim

yes jim the blue light is good eh Biggrin.gif

i have a de935 in the back room. your's has not only PL, but also dolby digital 5.1 (when that blue comes on). sorry no dts decoder though maybe your dvdp has that.

yes u can use another pair of cornwalls on the front b

& in effect get 4 speaker stereo.

rock on!

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

How may is too much? As long as you have a space to put thema nd amp(s)to drive them! Smile.gif

I just started with Klipsch speakers and this is what I have as of today...

Klipsch Quintets(fours sats and center,PC use)

Klispch SB-2(got them today!For PC use with KSW's LOL)

Klipsch RB-5(sourround duty for now)

Klipsch RF-5(another new member of TheEAR(s) systems)

Klipsch KSW12(used as PC sub with KSW15!)

Klipsch KSW15(yes new PC sub,still in the box LOL)

On thier way...

Klipsch RF-7

Klipsch RC-7

Klipsch RSW15(all three will work as a tag team in HT room with three my 3 Sunfires! TOO MUCH NAH JUST OVERBOARD)

Klipsch RSW12

Klipsch RSW10

and maybe just maybe the KLF30(personal sale,the owner wants some pro Klipsch for home!? GAWD )

When I will run out of room space then I may stop!

I like the Klipsch sound,BIG,OPENPLENTY OF DETAIL AND SLAM SO HUGE YOU BETTER BE READY.IN ONE WORD REAL.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ray and others- Ops...sorry about not saying the pics were in "odd & mods".

Mike, Thanks for pointing the way. I do like your setup as well. Man, I wish we had the ability to beam over to visit & listen to other members systemscwm40.gif

Jim, I've had that reel nearly 30 years, bought it from a friend in the early 70's when I lived in Texarkana, TX. No ideas on them, as I haven't kept up. Earlier years the cassette and now the mini-discs have lessen their popularity.

Enjoy and thanks to all..Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-17-2001 at 10:41 AM

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jim,

I found out that someone bought those unmatched serial numbered Khorns for $1,500.00. After deciding not to buy them, I ordered a pair of ALK's Networks for my 71 Vertical II's. Think I'll place the 71 Networks in my 85 I's. Tube amps for front and rear Cornwalls next, unless I come across a great buy on other Klipsch speakers? Ahhhh, the passion continues!

Wes

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

Wes, i saw a set of K-horns in Denver, but havent seen the guy since!

I wolud like to have tubes, but right now im into H/T!

Maybe while im into H/T i should invest into my 2 channel!

Buy a couple tube amps instead of K-horns!

Thats an idea, YEA RIGHT!

The outlaws arent to much, are they compardes to the mcintosh tube amps!

Ill check around! Regards Jim