Powered subs with Klipschorns?

Khorn

Anyone experimented with a pair of powered subs with Klipschorns? My priority would be music with Home Theater secondary. Seamless integration and 1/2 to full octave extension would be desirable.

Any suggestions?

------------------

======================================================================

"Music? We ain't got no music. We don't need no music. I don't have to

show you any stinking music. We have equipment."

Khorn,

Toronto, Canada

Khorn,

I know this is just stating the obvious, but just get the biggest, baddest sub you can afford! And having done that, you still won't have a sub that can really keep up, but it'll help.

What little experimenting I've done trying to smooth the bass response of my 'horns has shown me this; Adding "more" bass is easy; making "better" bass is not!

Recommendations: Klipsch RSW15, Paradigm Reference Servo 15, Bag End 18" sub, 18" Velodyne and REL (let your wallet be your guide!)

------------------

JDMcCall

ditto what James says,

subs are speakers, with speakers buy the best you can afford, not the biggest, but the best,

the power seems to make a very big difference, for normal listening levels a lot of the low end is inaudiable anyway ...

I have 3 subs in my HT setup - two LF-10s and a KSW15 -None are as clean as my Klipschorns although the LF-10s come closest ... I use the subs for LFE effects on DVD movies only - together they produce great explosions, etc. - the khorns are low enough for music and produce the cleanest bass I've ever heard. If I go to surround sound on SACD or DVD audio I may use the LH10's to extend the bass response of my LaScala surrounds.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with drobo. RELs don't only go nicely with Quads (slightly different planet here) but also with my Khorns. I use a Stadium II and find it very musical indeed. If you set the subs crossover frequency low enough, bass performance of the Horns is not really spoilt. True, the sub isn't quite as fast as the Khorns, but with a bit of experimenting one can still achieve excellent results. Therefore try a REL and I am sure you'll like it (provided the set up is fine).

Happy listening....Wolfram

Might I recomend 2 SVS CS-Ultras.

Just ask Horn Ed, he'll tell ya.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Yep, Dwk, he might even tell you without asking! Rel was the best I could find for my Khorns of yesteryear. But, the new Twin CS-Ultras and Samson S1000 package from SVS has the stark naked power to take on Khorn headroom issues with a level of accuracy that makes it so clean and tight that it is easily the most musical sub I've ever owned. Once you give it your most demanding ear tests, you will marvel at the audio excellence of the custom 12" woofer... it is far beyond what I expected to find in a $1,100 a tube handbuilt sub.

I guess I sound like a stark raving madman (I hate that!)... but I expected a lot for my money from SVS... and got more! The first time I did that was with my first set of Khorns. I heard them in a high end shop... but, man, did they sound so much better in my own living room! HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

2-Channel Music Respite Room ala Cornwall under construction...

I would look at the SVS CS-Ultra first. After that I would say Velodyne HGS 18 or REL subs.

All other subs mentioned with the exception to the BAGEND 18" are good subs. The BagEnd though can only put out 102.5 DB at the 10% THD limit, thats not one to look at IMO.

This message has been edited by RWMIN on 07-23-2001 at 09:06 PM

Thanks, Seb! Wolfram, after you view the web site, take time to send an email to Tom (the "V" in SVS) at TVodhanel@aol.com to discuss your particular questions and desires, equipment and the dimensions of your listening area. I have found that he gives honest and expert advice... even if he doesn't sell his own product. Tom also has an ear for the Klipsch Sound... and a talent for building subs that bring out the best of it. HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-24-2001 at 10:53 AM

Thanks Seb and Horn Ed.

Had a look at their web site. Unfortunately their prices are a bit out of my range at the moment (for the saystem you recommend), but after all they won't disappear. Still, an equiring email won't hurt anybody.

Wolfram

Actually, Wolfram, it is not so expensive if you plan your acquisition over time. For example, a single Ultra is about $1,100USD and can be driven by just about any power amp... The specifications and musicality of a single tube will provide more pure bass and match Klipsch upscale speakers better than anything else I have heard. If you like it and are so disposed you can always add a second tube later and a more powerful power amp. If you don't like it, you can probably have people standing in line in Germany to take it off your hands. But, I think you will rather keep it and be the envy of all who hear your system. And now I need to get back to another post and talk about some Klipsch speakers. Be well. Fortunately, the confusion Confused.gif is only BEFORE the Ultra arrives! HornEd

You can buy a twin SVS CS package for around $1250 or a single one with a 700 watt amp for $850 or so. You might even look at the Paradigm PW2200 as a serious option. It has excellent output with 112 DB peaks, 104 DB at 25 hz and I just got one from my local dealer for $599 brand new(list $798). That's about the best bang for the buck I've seen on any sub.

Hey, RWMIN, congratulations... I think you got a great sub for your money... but until you wrap your ears around an SVS in your own listening space... you may have gotten the best bang for the buck that you've seen... but this is really about what you have heard. Enjoy... and I hope some day you will treat your ears to the other side of the street. Don't mean to rain on your celebratory parade... lord knows I have "seen" too many good bangs for my buck wind up on the scrap heap. Truly, from all account you got a good deal on a great sub... one that can bring you years of thumpin' good times. HornEd

Horn Ed,

okay, a single ultra is not that expensive, but will it really be THAT much better than my REL Stadium II?

A admit that until now I've been quite pleased with my REL/Khorn combo. And the idea of adding any amp to my McIntosh gear is also rather 'unusual' at the moment. Did you have any REL before you got the SVS?

And remember, all I want is a 2 Channel music system.

Besides, I have some other project (Al's networks) to get out of the way first!) But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

Wolfram

Wolfram, that's an affirmative on the Rel... and I agree that it is one hell of a sub. I have been buying and selling off subs for a long, long time... searching for a character... a presence like the one you sense in a life acoustic performance... that ethereal sort of experience that gets you right in the gut... and makes you glad to be alive to witness notes that are played for the moment. I also searched in vein for so many years for the HT sub that had the sheer capacity to bring the best from the first two octaves at a level that made the experience worthwhile... and still be quick enough to catch every nuance a 6.1 DVD could throw at it with the speakers set to SMALL.

I have spent a lot of money on audio gear in my day... obviously, most of it has provided less than wonderful results. Old Macintosh gear and classic Klipsch speakers have been the standouts... and I never quite found a sub that did all that I thought a sub should logically be able to do. When I wrote the check for the Twin SVS Ultras, Samson S1000 and the EQ that I have yet to turn on... I wasn't expecting much more than an opportunity to chase down one more rabbit trail... and anticipating that I would come up "hareless" once again.

In all candor, the experience that I have had with the SVS Ultras puts them in a class by themselves. I cannot speak for SVS subs other than the ones I have... and Tom Vodhanel admits they are a cut above anything he has done... but trying to describe these audio marvels is made difficult because no sub I have ever heard does all that these can... smoother than velvet, quicker than a wink and more awesome than a double sonic boom on a hangover morning... and then I hooked up the second tube...

This whole experience has really made me feel guilty. Guilty for liking someone else's sub on a BBS paid for by a Klipsch nickel. Guilty for not being able to sufficiently articulate in a convincing manner just how much difference one or two of these tubes can make with the best Klipsch speakers you can muster. Doubly guilty as I may be, at least I have tried... but it is not easy for an over-the-hill knight errant to describe the Holy Grail even if it were in his hands.

cwm40.gif I just wish somebody on this BBS would try one of these Ultras... the SVS 45 day guaranteed buy-back is in writing in the operating manual... and see if you can do any better telling it like it is. HornEd

I have been running an LF-10 with my Belles and I think it is an awesome little sub! Real Bang for the Buck at ~$500 if you can find one. I haven't had any of the reported problems with mine (knock on wood).

I turned it off when I got the K-horns hooked up and if I ever decide to add a sub to the K-horns I will obviously try it first.

That said, I just know I will end up auditioning one of the SVS CS-Ultras as HornEd has got my interest piqued Smile.gif. I have quite a bit of listening to do to my un-modified K-horns first, then I will add my ALK crossovers that I bought for my Belles (the best mod I have ever tried to date I might add cwm12.gif (and they conviently work in the K-horns too), then I assume I will go sub hunting again! Is there no end to this Rolleyes.gif???

------------------

Ed W

This message has been edited by edster00 on 07-25-2001 at 05:45 PM