Powered subs with Klipschorns?

Khorn

HornEd

You get what you pay for and for the price the Paradigm couldn't be beat. I know that it is not the sub to end all subs but for the money I spent I have yet to see any better specs. Eventually I will step up to an SVS CS-Ultra and move the Paradigm to the rear or just sell it. I only had so much money to spend and yea I could have got the one I wanted (CS-Ultra) but I also bought the kids an ATV and some things for my wife. I guess it was a trade off for me, buy the best or share with the best, my family.

Hey, RWMIN, somewhere along the line I must have failed you and fallen into the abysss where Mystery Guest's hostility sheet hits the Klipsch fan?

I think the deal you got on the Paradigm 2200 is spectacular... that's a solid sub way beyond what you paid for it... there is no doubt in my mind that it can give you years of good times... and I would be among the very first to commend you on spreading your resources around so that the pursuit of happiness can be an individual thing... rather than familial joy by papa's edict. Who knows, someday your kid may become my tax collector... and edicts build attitude that we have enough of, already.

My only caveat was that the to my ears, the Ultras are a woof apart from the rest... including the rest of SVS... and that's worth remembering as you amble down life's opportunity path or super highway. It is not my purpose to sell SVS or Klipsch for that matter... and I wouldn't even pin a pair of Bose on a gelding even if the operation left him with low self esteem!

My obligation, and yours, is to share with one another that which we believe... and respect each other decision... we all need to grow or shrink at our own pace! Of course, your lovely wife has every right to call a shrink if you trade her diamond studs in for Cubic Bozonium... and spend the difference on Ultras.

Make no mistake, I would have loved to have a dad as companionate and aware as you must be. My dad thought that the hi-fi and record industry was a ploy to reduce his disposable income... which he preferred to invest his financial and social resources in local taverns... he won a lot of votes that way... and even had a son named after him by edict ('scuse my jr. attitude) and a street named for his work above and beyond the call of family. Whew, without Mystery Guest's training thread, I might not have sewn that one up.

No, RWMIN, again... I'd take my hat off to you... if I could just make this Smiley Cat BEHAVE...Hat.gif HornEd

Hmmm, with a topper like that he must be a Bassless Bose smuggler looking for Dr. Seuss to say Acouscousmass... you know, the one that goes, " I can beat anyone at Do-mi-nos... while DiGiornos rise as one with a crusty, "Oh, no, you caaann't!" Yeah, I gotta get a midnight snack, switch the hat for a nightcap and take an SPL transition break... my pipe organ dreams just can't measure up to my sound system anymore.

PS: Sorry for re-cycling some mixed metaphors... but RWMIN has me "second gassing!"cwm34.gif

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-26-2001 at 01:17 AM

Ed, glad I could be of service to you. Now....let me just throw in my uneducated opinion....The Klipschorns are perfect (to me) and don't need any help from subs. We have three subs in our living room that are used for movie watching only. The first time I heard Khorns I really thought there was a hidden sub somewhere and was very surprised to find out otherwise. I have never heard a sound as pure as what they reproduce. Keep in mind that I am not a true audiofile since I don't quite understand all the technical stuff. I just know what I like.cwm27.gif

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

Mystery Guest, the nice thing about sound is that you don't have to be an audiophile... you just need functional ears and just enough equipment and source material to enjoy them. Klipschorns are special... and the fact that you enjoy them from the distaff side makes you VERY special... and, hopefully, enjoying some of the absolute better sounds life has to offer, IMHO. However, that kind of "know what I like" takes you beyond the token level... earwise.

Once again, IMHO, Klipschorns are so special that augmenting them with a subwoofer is a challenge... most just can't do justice to the epitome of the Klipsch Sound. By the same "I know what I like" token, a K-horn cannot reach down and get all the notes all the time... it just isn't designed to go that low. By most accounts I've read, designing it to go lower would compromise that delicious upper bass. And in fairness, the overwhelming majority of music and HT can be found well within the frequency range of our beloved Khorns.

But for those who want to explore the deeply satisfying "touchy-feely" experience of intimate sound waves that only true bottom dwellers provide. My personal frustration was that, before the SVS Ultras, I could not find something that would voice the low notes as well as a Klipschorn could voice the rest. So, in my best non-technical economy of words... I know what you like... and I have found some more of it beyond where your Klipschorns can play by themselves.

No harm, no foul, just an attempt to bring news of a sonic gold strike outside of Gold Hill, N.C. Stay as sweet as you are cwm38.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-27-2001 at 06:41 AM

Thanks HornEd

I have to say that SVS in general is a cut above the rest. I do yearn (ACHE) for the Very sub that you own, no question about it! I really do wish that the extra cash for the Ultra wasn't a problem. If it were ALL my decision (and if my wife didn't have my credit card)I would have ordered that sub the very moment I finished reading about it at SVS's web site. I feel like I am missing out on something great by not having one. Enjoy it Horn!

I have been using a LF-10 to help my Belles out in the lower end. It works quite well IMHO. I turned it off when I got the K-horns 'cause I just wanted to hear the K-horns by themselves.

Last night I was listening to a Telarc (sp?) recording of some classical music (I can't remember the exact name of the recording right now), but it has the William Tell Overture etc. I decided to turn on the LF-10 and see if I could even hear it with the K-horns. I couldn't. Then I lowered the crossover on it to ~40Hz and turned the volume on it way up (~8). I was now listening to the 2nd song on the CD, I was on my knees "hugging" the sub to check for air leaks (which the LF-10 has had problems with...not mine but it has been reported on this BB...mine has always been fine). I am in a very quiet passage in the piece, the sub is just vibrating fast, not any real output, then at about 2:35-2:45 into the 2nd song BOOOOMMMMM!!!! Scared the *hit out of me!! My right ear ~12" away from a K-horn and hugging the sub...I thought I was going to have a heart attack!

I checked it later on my SPL meter >100dB at 20' Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

Wow, Ed!

As Ray Garrison would say, "Music is art... Audio is engineering." Sounds like they both bit you at the same time. Got your ears back... should I write this in CAPS? cwm20.gif Yep, that 10 can be a HOOT!

It's fun to hear blow-by-blow Khorn adventures, keep 'em coming. HornEd

doug,

I am sure it was a combination of the two...it was really really cool though.

I called my wife downstairs and asked her to kneel down by the sub...but I just couldn't do it!

HornEd,

I have found a new respect for classical music, both in its dynamics and it dynamite-amics Smile.gif

------------------

Ed W

Ed,

fiddled with my REL crossover frequency a few weeks ago (it runs together with Khorns) which was also set at abou 40Hz. Thought the sound was okay. Then I came across an article in one of those audiophile magazines which had me reconsider (in my case lowering) the crossover frequency quite a bit. I ended up at 25 Hz and boy, suddenly the Khorns became even more alive and the bass simply more realistic but still full, on some recordings even awesome. I have just been playing Holly Cole's 'Temptation' cd and I am sure the neighbours enjoyed it too!! What surprised me most was the fact that having set the sub too high had obviously 'clouded' my main speakers to a larger degree than I had first noticed.

BTW: HornEd you haave really made me nervous about the CS-Ultra, but who takes the REL off my hands???

Wolfram

No problem Horned....I know that there is a whole other world out there and I'm constantly striving to experience it.

And edster....I'm proud of you for not going through with that. You would have had a good laugh for a minute but then she would have been mad for a long time. I could just picture what that must have been like for you...lolcwm24.gif

------------------

The token female for the Klipsch Fan Club Tour 2001

I have my EQ set at the lowest level (40Hz)for my LF10 and KSW200 subs and only use the volume knobs for movies - this gives me flat frequency response at normal listening levels with my big old Cornwalls ...

------------------

Cornwalls, 2A3 Paramours, Dynaco PASIII, Rotel 955, KSW200, LF10