DVD players around/under $500

Just1n20

Well with tax returns coming around and me working more and more during school, i figure i may be able to invest more money into my system and since i plan on a HDTV in my future, i'd like something with good picture that will look good on a widescreen tv, i rarely watch digital cable anymore so good sound and audio for DVD's is the focus. I assume that single disc players are generally better for sound and video, so that is fine. I'm not too worried about SACD or DVD-A because i have neither formats in my collection(none of the music i listen to produce cd's in either of these formats). I've considered a Denon DVD-2800MK2 for $315 @ eCost.com, Marantz DV-6400 for $549 at music direct, Cambridge Audio DVD55 for $279 or Cambridge Audio Azur 540D for $379, both at AudioAdvisor... those are what i've looked at, but i'm open to suggestions. lowest price would be best, but hey, i love movies1.gif

if you'd think it'd be better to invest this money into a receiver, i have a post in this section about that too. thanks.

I would highly suggest the Denon DVD-2200. It is both a DVD player that plays DVD audio and SACD. I spent $539 for it at Ultimate Electronics. I would caution you in your purchase. You want to buy a DVD player that does not have the chroma bug in it. The Denon DVD2800MK2 has the chroma bug in it. I would recommend you looking at the following site

www.hometheaterhifi.com

You will be able to get very good info there on DVD's. You will also be able to see which DVD players do and do not have the chroma bug

If your looking into a HDTV look into the Samsung HD 931 DVD player. It has a DVI output to get the digital signal to the digital TV in HD without any loss of anything. Even better than progressive scan! Trust me, it is fantastic. $299.00 even at best buy on sale $275.00 ish?

With all the technology breakthroughs....a 1k-5k DVD player is just silly!

BTW, that 850 dollar couple years old Denon DVD player is collecting dust in my yet to be finished basement.

This is a great question, I am actually in the same boat. I just got my Sony KV50XBR800(GWII)HDTV and I need a progressive-scan DVD Player. I was looking at a Yamaha to match my receiver and the NAD T532, I would like SACD but not a must. What is the BEST DVD Player around this price range?

TIA

JAG

----------------

On 1/17/2004 9:02:08 PM jagangjee wrote:

This is a great question, I am actually in the same boat. I just got my Sony KV50XBR800(GWII)HDTV and I need a progressive-scan DVD Player. I was looking at a Yamaha to match my receiver and the NAD T532, I would like SACD but not a must. What is the BEST DVD Player around this price range?

TIA

JAG

----------------

If I was you I would get the HD931 like staded before. This works with dvi and you can select 720p which is your native resolution. You will have a huge advantage when using a fixed resolution display like yours.